The Dark Mod Forums

Stephen Russell interview

brethren

I wonder how much SR charges per hour for his services? (I won't be asking him that, btw). I think it would be cool if there was a TDM mission where he voiced one of the TDM protagonists, like Farrell or Thomas Porter or William Steele, but tweaked it a bit so the voice doesn't sound exactly like Garrett. Maybe something a bit more British.

Yes, I planned on mentioning TDM to him and also what his stance would be on contributing to it, if he were ever asked.

I'm glad you mentioned this brethren, because that was going to be my question.

[sIC] Innocent question asked here, which was quickly shut down as misguided by the subsequent posts [/sIC]

Edited by Dunedain19

Yes, I planned on mentioning TDM to him and also what his stance would be on contributing to it, if he were ever asked.

No, please don't ask him that. Honestly, as someone who has worked in various areas of the arts...even asking a working actor if they would consider donating their time is very bad form. Please, don't do that.

Something along the lines of: "There is a fan-created, legally-distinct spiritual successor to the original Thief trilogy called The Dark Mod. The community has some very talented script writers and level designers, and so I was wondering if you would possibly be interested in kindly assisting us with a little bit of pro bono voice work?"

Oh good lord no! Never, never, never. First off, he would be in an actors Union anyway and they would not allow pro-bono work. The actor gets paid.

Ask him if he's heard of us, explain who we are if he hasn't, and leave it at that.

Oh good lord no! Never, never, never. First off, he would be in an actors Union anyway and they would not allow pro-bono work. The actor gets paid.

Wow, New Horizon...I didn't expect that sharp of a response.

If you're convinced he would not do pro bono work, surely it's not beyond the realm of possibility to envision a modest Kickstarter campaign by the community to secure the necessary funds to cover a small VA part for him to read?

Edited by Dunedain19

Sorry. I know it seems like an innocent enough thing to ask, but performers are asked this all the time and expected to perform for free. I used to get hit with it all the time too, as an actor, as a musician, and when I was a graphic designer. "Hey, I have this really cool project that you will love. I don't have any money but it would be great exposure for you!" Nope, no thanks. lol Keep it professional and don't leave him feeling disrespected at the end of the interview having been asked for hand outs.

As for actually paying him, it would all depend on his union, a proper contract, and figuring out how to record the lines. He can't be expected to do it himself, he's likely not a sound engineer. So an engineer would need to be hired as well. Also, is he allowed to do non-union work..etc. I have friends who are members of Actra here in Canada and they're rather strict about non-union work.

Funny, there's a similar discussion going on over at the TTLG thread. I wouldn't dream of asking him to do any fan work free of charge. I'm more interested in what he can and can't do - for instance, is he allowed to play a thief type character in other games, etc.

As much as our communities like the guy, and show appreciation for the work he's done over the years, he's a pro. It would be extremely insulting to ask him for any kind of free work, and he'd probably hang up on me if I did!

• Like 1

If we had the cash to pay for his time I would have no problem asking, but we don't so lets leave it at that.

Fair point, Bikerdude.

I'm more interested in what he can and can't do - for instance, is he allowed to play a thief type character in other games, etc.

That's a much better approach, brethren. Forget about my innocent - but uninformed - question.

EDIT:

Taking a stab at another - less controversial - question:

"I would like to know if during his career, Mr Russell has recorded VO lines with other actors in the same room, or if he has only (or even prefers to) recorded his lines alone. Following on, if he has worked alongside other actors in real time, did he enjoy the experience?"

Also, one more question:

"Today, many games are now having their cast wear full-body motion capture suits while acting out their various scenes. Has Mr. Russell ever done this? If yes, did he enjoy it? If not, is he willing to give the recording technique a go?"

Edited by Dunedain19

• 3 weeks later...