The Dark Mod Forums

Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1 setup

Springheel

I've noticed that I'm getting very loud volume through my left and right speakers, and very muted sound from my center and rear speakers. But I can't find any way to control the volume of individual speakers. About twenty minutes of searching online has, unbelievably, turned up absolutely nothing. Anyone here know how one might go about adjusting the individual output of speakers in Win7? I know Realtek has a controller that does it but I can't find any reference to a Soundblaster one anywhere.

Is there a way I could find out which one it is? The device driver just lists "SB Audigy"

Is there a way I could find out which one it is? The device driver just lists "SB Audigy"

Yep, get me the device ID -

• Right click on computer>
  • select properties>
  • then device manager>
  • then sound, video and game controllers>
  • then select and right click on the audigy card>
  • select properties>
  • then select the details tab>
  • then finally click on the property option and scroll down one for the device IDs then select & copy all the txt in there.

For my card an Xfi, its looks as follows -

PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0005&SUBSYS_10031102&REV_00

PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0005&SUBSYS_10031102

PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0005&CC_040100

PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0005&CC_0401

Ok, this is what I get:

PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0007&SUBSYS_100A1102&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0007&SUBSYS_100A1102
PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0007&CC_040100
PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0007&CC_0401

Select speakers then Configure

Yes, I've been to that screen. It's testing there that shows how quiet the center and rear speakers are compared to the left/right.

Ok, this is what I get: - PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0007&SUBSYS_100A1102

From all the driver sites I have input the above ID into some come back saying its an Audigy and others and Soundblaster 5.1 live, what would be handy is if you could have a look at the card see what the model number printer on it is, for example the card below is an SB0570

Creative_Labs_Sound_Blaster_Audigy_SE.jp

And As per Jim's comment, if you have the right creative driver installed you should get the balance option for each speaker.

Then Levels then Balance next to Play Control

Ah, hadn't seen that screen before, but that indeed looks like what I need. Thanks Oldjim!

edit: Well, not so fast, I guess. Moving the sliders for the center and rear speakers has no effect. No matter what values I pick, the center and rear speakers seem to play at about 1/4 of what the R/L speakers are set at. Turning the R/L speakers down to 0 and the others up to 100 results in no sound from any speaker. If I turn the R/L up to 100, the rear and center get a bit louder, but are still far quieter than the RL speakers. It's as if the proportional volume is hard-coded somewhere.

Well, for future reference, it wasn't a soundcard issue at all. My logitech 5.1 speakers came with a manual controller, and one of the buttons on it had three settings: "Gaming", "Music" and "Off". I had it set to "Gaming", but apparently that's not a good thing to do. When I set it to "off" the speakers work properly.