• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:05 PM

Hey,

I just installed DarkRadiant 2.0.2 on my Laptop running Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1. But when I start DR, it crashes. First time I start DR, it directly throws the following error message:

timo@LIFEBOOK:~$ /usr/bin/darkradiant
Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben)

When I start it again, DR opens up the preferences window and after I set the path and everything correctly, it crashes again and I get the following output on the console:

Spoiler

The last version of DR, that I could work with, was 1.8.0 on Ubuntu 14.04, but it seems that the 1.8.0 fork isn't available for Ubuntu 16.04 anymore.

So my question is: Is there a chance to get DR to work on Ubuntu 16.04 without compliling from source? (I'd hate to do that again. I tried to follow the compilation guide once, but never really understood what I was doing and thus failed)

Any help is appreciated :)

#2 freyk

freyk

• PipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:04 PM

I can only confirm these errors.
On
2.02-2build1, mate 16.04.1 32bit livecd vm
2.02-2build1, ubuntu 16.04 64 bit vm

The last version of DR, that I could work with, was 1.8.0 on Ubuntu 14.04, but it seems that the 1.8.0 fork isn't available for Ubuntu 16.04 anymore.
So my question is: Is there a chance to get DR to work on Ubuntu 16.04 without compliling from source?

You can download the deb files from ppa and install it mannually.

But bear in mind the dependencies(hell).

Edited by freyk, 04 October 2016 - 03:31 AM.

#3 greebo

greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 15921 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:04 AM

That error is the same as reported here: http://bugs.thedarkm...iew.php?id=4360

This is a problem in the packaged boost library in Ubuntu, it seems. Since it's not owned or shipped by DR I can't do anything about this. According to the issue report, it should be resolved in the meantime, isn't it?

#4 Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:48 AM

I wouldn't call it resolved since the only version available on the PPA for xenial is 2.0.2. atm and that still does have the bug. If they released the updated 2.1.1. version for Ubuntu 16.04. I could check it...

I guess I PM coldtobi about that.

#5 coldtobi

coldtobi

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:10 PM

Hi Nightcrawler,

I don't know about the release policy of Ubuntu in detail (as I'm a Debian Dev), but a quick search on the net shows that they're doing it like Debian [1]: Fixes are only done to correct severe problems. While a crash is one, I guess it will still be out of scope for Ubuntu to update...

As I'm pretty sure that boost::python is causing this crash, so we'd need to find and fix that boost::python problem and patch it in the very specific version that has been used in xenial. As it seems that this bug is not exposed widely, I guess the release managers won't be happy if we'd approach them for this problem...

So, sorry, not much to do for Xenial (or Debian's Jessie) except you want to invest some time bisecting boost...

What you can try is to e.g run darkradiant from e.g debootstrap'ed chroot environment from a newer release (e.g Debian Stretch) (alternatively some VM).

Or -- if you are the adventurous guy -- install darkradiant and its dependencies from a newer Ubuntu (but read [2] before; as there'll be dragons.)

tobi

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu....eReleaseUpdates

[2] https://wiki.debian....mixed_system.3F

#6 Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:30 PM

Hey Tobi,

thanks for your efforts. Unfortunately what you've suggested seems out of scope for me as a non-power-user of linux. So what I've tried instead is trying to run any x86-windows builts of DR under wine.

The newest version that worked on my system is DR 2.0.2. The surface looks quite ugly, but at least it seems to work, so I think I'll stay with that for the moment...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users