The Dark Mod Forums

On the subject of stealing loot that alerts guards

V-Man339

So, I've noticed that when a AI that doesn't move is watching loot I have to steal, my only safe bet is to grasp from the dark and immediately mantle something to prevent the AI from potentially making physical contact with me.

Failing that, a noise maker is theoretically usable but often isn't due to the fact that holding weaponry lights up your index.

I feel as though this is clearly noted by some maps and mapmakers, but quite often not others.

It needs to be emphasized that I only make this thread and bring this up for discussion because how the AI acts upon realizing there is a thief in the room seems to be purely RNG from a gameplay perspective from one attempt to the next.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

I was just making a point somewhere else that having some bit of randomness like that is often good for games.

I mean the AI perception itself isn't random, that'd be bad, but there are little variations in reactions that could turn a situation one way or another.

That kind of randomness is good because it makes the risk calculation the player does mean something.

You know there's a risk going into a situation like that, so you shouldn't know 100% how it will play out.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I was just making a point somewhere else that having some bit of randomness like that is often good for games.

I mean the AI perception itself isn't random, that'd be bad, but there are little variations in reactions that could turn a situation one way or another.

That kind of randomness is good because it makes the risk calculation the player does mean something.

You know there's a risk going into a situation like that, so you shouldn't know 100% how it will play out.

I usually agree on some level, but I find it just makes me create a save beforehand and do a prayer to RNJesus.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

I mean the AI perception itself isn't random, that'd be bad, [...]

Are you sure about that? There are a whole bunch of spawnargs that define the chance of spotting something (chanceNotice...). Just checked, almost all of these are set t o100%, so you are right. However, it is possible for the author to change it, so it might be that in some missions the author tinkered with these values and the AI notices a missing item with only 75% or something like that. I would also recommend not to change these, as it does not really make any sense, but still it is possible.

For this specific AI, you could check in DR if the values have been changed, though.

That could be ok too in some cases. What I had in mind was an AI that was almost blind in one playthrough, like 10% acuity, and then 90% in the next run, but that's not how it came out. As long as each run is a consistent risk, then that's a good way to balance randomness & consistency.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I usually agree on some level, but I find it just makes me create a save beforehand and do a prayer to RNJesus.

LOL

Become a believer through the sin of theft!

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.