The Dark Mod Forums

AI stuck

Springheel

I have an AI that won't move. He's not stuck in monsterclip and I've added an aas_flood entity to the area, so I'm not sure what the deal is. What are good console commands that might give me some useful info to debug this? What's the one to show aas areas?

No, he's on worldspawn. I'll try the b key (what does that do...?)

So does this mean there are no aas areas where he is? I've put an aas_flood entity right beside him, but I don't know if I'm using it properly.

post-9-0-45992200-1479649425_thumb.jpg

Aha!

You're talking about a large spider. I assumed you meant a human.

'b' is set up by default to show where human AI can walk.

It looks pretty narrow where you've stuck him. More than likely, he's not allowed to walk in such a narrow space.

The AAS size for a human AI is 32. It's 48 for a large spider. This means his origin can be no closer than 24 to surrounding walls or monsterclip.

The spider would need an aas48_flood if you're trying to force it in areas where spiders don't spawn. (I.e. you teleport him in or he rides an elevator.)

To see a large spider's AAS areas with 'b', change this line in your Darkmod.cfg file:

seta tdm_debug_aastype "aas48"

It's a spider child; they use aas32 like other humanoids. The width between the walls is about 60...shouldn't that be enough?

I've uploaded spider_test.map to SVN. There is a trigger as you move forward that should teleport two spider_child entities to spots in the corridor. One is just stuck and won't move, and the other one appears to get killed by the teleport...?

It looks like the AAS compiler uses a human's height to determine if it should create AAS32 areas, even if the child spider uses the same AAS setting.

If you raise the ceiling of the tunnel to accommodate a human's height, the AAS areas are created.

I think the spider is dying because he's coincident with worldspawn when he teleports. I think he also needs some more space to maneuver.

What if I gave them the same aas as rats? Is there any obvious reason that wouldn't work?

edit: I guess so. I get an error saying spider_child cannot use aas_rat.

edit: I guess so. I get an error saying spider_child cannot use aas_rat.

It might be that AAS compares the size of the collision box with the AAS you try to apply and then only allows bigger AAS. You can try to create a small collision box (mins -1 1 1 and maxs 1 1 1, this should result in a box of one cubic unit) That way the model might clip into ceilings etc but it might leave your spiders enough room to maneuver.

How high does the ceiling have to be? I've got ceilings of 80 units now and they still can't move.

I've updated the spider_test map. You just have to go around the corner from the player start to trigger the spiders, and then you'll see them around the next corner.

Well, I deleted the ceiling entirely and that didn't help, so now I'm confused again.

I'm looking at the latest committed spider_test.map ...

Move the aas32_flood entity into the center of the tunnel.

Atm it's sitting less than 16 units from the edge of a straight line drawn along the inner edges of the tunnel supports, which are worldspawn.

You could probably also make the tunnel_supports func_statics, and then the aas32_flood would be 21 from the side. It needs to be at least 16 units from any worldspawn along its sides in order to generate the AAS areas.

If you think of the aas32_flood like an AI, you wouldn't put your AI too close to the edge, so you shouldn't put your aas32_flood too close to the edge.