The Dark Mod Forums

Deus Ex mod - like Dark mod is to Thief?

tefdal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Slowly walking forward.
And if you want to try the progress, just read this post.

Today I tested out some maps from the d3 mod 556mm full metal jacket, like sincity.

It reminds me of saintlucia.
Have to write the developer of that mod/map to ask permission to use the map and textures.

post-13309-0-73894700-1503678896_thumb.jpg

post-13309-0-19737100-1503678908_thumb.jpg

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

You should try and contact the Russians who made 2027 mod. They might have some useful stuff. I think GMDX used some of their stuff at the begging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36OdLh69Qa4

I remember Dave saying he planned to eventually release his textures for use. Not sure what happened but you could also ask him. I would like to recommend doing something pretty small and similar to the Original DX like training Mission? To showcase the possibilities while attracting fans. I would also recommend to keep it within the Original DX1 concept of realism with a bit of technology to make it fun. Unless you're a fan of the Square Enix/Final Fantasy/Metal Gear wannabe that is DXHR. :D

Edited by Taquito.

Thanks for ideas.
I tried to get textures from dx revision, but they didn't released them under a free/nc license.
And did not find any data/license information in project 2027.
I will contact them, but if they already use free/nc licenced objects,
they are already do license infringements.

As i posted in my first post in this topic, i started small by combining existing objects.
But i don't have the experience/knowledge of several construction jobs, to import the great objects (i already found and posted) in to this fm.
So if there are people to help me out (like mapping and modeling existing objects), please pm me.

As for the game-playconcept, its the dark mod using a cyberpunk theme.

(so dx1, but i also love the atmosphere of dx-hr and dx-dm.)

For atmosphere inspiration, i look at and listen during work, clips like

Dont be affraid, i follow the rule from eric brosius: "Thief is no disco". ;)

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Well. You already got the layout working and that's something. It does have DX vibes. ;) DX1 is pretty different to DX2 HR and the other one. For me, DX is the winning formula and the others sort of pushed the concept to a more Metal Gear wanna be. In consequence losing its uniqueness by trying to be/compete with elements that have been done/thought already.

• 2 weeks later...

Obligatory reminder #1: I'm still waiting to get back to my own version of the fork! Again I apologize for dropping it shortly after posting the new textures and player models; I've been very busy working on other projects... all of which are part of my Patreon, something I can't do with TDM due to its non-commercial nature thus I cannot prioritize this mod (till it's free of proprietary asset reliance).

Obligatory reminder #2: If you want to see me progress, I need help and information from other developers experienced with TDM, on understanding how to define a custom weapon. I require your aid on two aspects; The first is a clean weapon + projectile definition example, the second is a guide on how the 1st person view model (with animated hands) needs to be configured in Blender and exported to md5mesh / md5anim. My plan is to have classic types of guns (pistol, shotgun, machine gun, sniper, link gun, etc) with the ammo types and functionalities of TDM arrows (fire, water, moss, etc), the key binds representing either the projectile type or the weapon type.

Lately i did not found (m)any good publicdomain/gpl'ed assets. (on site like open gameart or deviantart).

(please give me some pointers, if you found any. Then i would be happy to replace all the nc-assets)

And for all the good ones, you have to ask their permission (and send them money) or their use a nc-licence or cc-nd.

(why people do that? look at this topic)

For the models and animation, look the the tdm wiki.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Lately i did not found (m)any good publicdomain/gpl'ed assets. (on site like open gameart or deviantart).

(please give me some pointers, if you found any. Then i would be happy to replace all the nc-assets)

And for all the good ones, you have to ask their permission (and send them money) or their use a nc-licence or cc-nd.

(why people do that? look at this topic)

For the models and animation, look the the tdm wiki.

For my fork I'm porting the Xonotic assets to TDM, which are GPL licensed... other than that I can find everything I need in places like BlendSwap and OpenGameArt. Finding freely licensed assets isn't a problem, adjusting and porting them is. The only exception are new character animations and voice packages, but those can come later and are not an emergency at this stage. The next big priority will be weapons and items.

Status 20170924:

Working on success/death screens.

Getting experience with darkradiant, by trying to retexture TDM's Trainingsmission.

Found some interesting music on opengameart

Was going to keep this a surprise, but I'm in the process of putting together a soundtrack from OGA myself. Might be the next thing I announce about my version of the mod... I'm also working on new weapon models.

Edited by MirceaKitsune

• 2 weeks later...

Status 20171008

working on death-screen: need to find some background images and a good game-over sound.

Started retexturing the mission-complete screen.

But which pictures shall i put on the mission-complete screen, instead of a chalice and stacks of golden coins?

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

You need an aesthetic. And for that, you need to create a world & backstory to begin with. If you have some dystopian society with an aristocrat-class inside their mile-high citadels ruling over an underclass society in the slums surrounding them, then our underclass hero will be breaking into their citadels for both their basic supplies, which the outside doesn't get, and their luxury items which he can fence.

The Mission Complete screen doesn't have to have the items he steals though. It should just have the same motif fitting the GUI aesthetic and setting. E.g., it could be an image of the futuristic city to remind people what world they're still in, or scenes from the city. Maybe because Bladerunner 2049 just came out, I'm imagining a futuristic city with rows of towering lit-up skyscrapers, layers of flying cars and flying flashing billboards, smoggy grimy slums at street level, rainy and dark and loud and moody ... everything from the new Deus Exs, Blade Runner from the original to the game to the shorts to the new movie, The Fifth Element, Back to the Future 2, Anachronox, Shadowrun, Snatcher, Dreamweb, etc, etc.

Edit. I should add, I've already been scripting the world for my own cyberpunk FMs... That's why I created the scifi light meter in the first place. In my vision, the separation of classes drives the action. The insiders have the whole city built around security to keep the outsiders out, and the outsiders have a constant need to break into their secure zones. In the background are the revolutionaries that want to bring down the class system altogether. The player is opportunistic and more interested in breaking-in for theft and self-gain. But over the course of the plot arc, if one imagines a canon campaign, he's going to ultimately help the revolutionaries with their cause, breaking in to key sites to help bring down the system, but even then probably for his own selfish reasons.

• Like 2

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Like Demagogue says, its crucial to have a vision. Not your average dystopian setting with the usual bad guys and sci fi aesthetics, but rather a strong and unique take that can be easily adpated to what the TDM engine can do well. I mean, look at this video Lowenz just posted, look at the amount of work that goes into imagining the scenario and its parts. And thats mostly only concept art, imagine the amount of work needed to bring that to life. Specially nowadays, with games like the new deus ex and others, that offer a playing environment that is far more detailed and rich thananything a non professional project can hope to achieve. What can a fan mod with a crew of one or a handful of people do then, in a futuristic environment, where you need to create a living city scape, consider vehicles, complex interfaces, a lot of new graphical elements (explosions, new particles, etc), provide a good ballistic mechanics for firearms, new AI routines, etc, etc? Well, you have to plan it very carefully. Its good Demagogue pointed out Snatcher. I would also take a look at the old adventure Blade Runner game. Its that sort of inspiration that could actually help you coming up with a set of missions that feel rich, but are actually extremely self contained and thus possible to be managed by a small team of creators. Look into adventure games. You could see TDM as an adventure game, that doesnt confine you to rails, but actually gives you freedom to explore and interact. Dont try to match the scale in modern sci fi games, you simply cant. Come up with a strong, minimalistic story that needs to take place in contained, dense little spots of gameplay. Put effort on physical storytelling (not so much texts), on interaction, less on open world chaos, cutscenes and the like. Thats possibly a way of advancing your project, and inspiring others to help.

Edited by RPGista

Watched the video. I like the "player is a failed biotech experiment, a mercenary for several companies"-idea.

To combine that with a story i already had in mind:

story:

The tdm-player is sended trough time by the pagans in a time-travel expirement, to 21-something.

The player is stuck in this time period, because the pagans cant remember the spell.

The player tried to survive by using his old habits, but didnt succeed. (because you cant lockpick a digital door)

a unnamed hidden company detects and captures the player during one of his actions.

Began to biotech experimenting on him.

The player (escapes/or work for the company) and now he is a biotech experiment, a mercenary working for the company/for several companies.

people:

Builders still exists and are now tech-people (scientists/developers/etc), but have captured some pagans, but they using their "magic" for the mighty builder.

To control the pagans, they give them drugs and are "junks" now. (-> zombies!)

Citywatch = Police but use the name citywatch.

A prayer from the scientists: "Praise the mighty builder. Who compiles all the code. Love to all programmed things."

World:

For one of the environments, To recycle the tdm assets, we can build a mission/world where they preserves old buildings/statues and adding scifi objects to it.

Like in the town of whitendon of anachronox.

and all things i mentiond earlier in this topic.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

On an unrelated but still related note: I'm currently playing a bunch of mods for the first DeusEx game. The first being DeusEx Nihilum, which is a full fan-made game complete with original characters and maps and voice acting and an own story, nearly rivaling the quality of the original game! I'm trying to work on my branch of the modern TDM conversion in parallel, hoping it will inspire me in realtime on what and how I will be doing.

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend i working/worked on:

Lockscreens: Worked on "internal"lock/login screen. Its internal, because I hated the control of the external interfaces in doom 3.

Mainmenu: Changed the layout, the background image and music. (a live background would be nice)

which background do you prefer? a (live) ingame background or just a picture.

post-13309-0-12237300-1508670049_thumb.jpg

post-13309-0-12315600-1508670057_thumb.jpg

Edited by freyk
  • Like 4

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

This weekend i working/worked on:

Lockscreens: Worked on "internal"lock/login screen. Its internal, because I hated the control of the external interfaces in doom 3.

Mainmenu: Changed the layout, the background image and music. (a live background would be nice)

which background do you prefer? a (live) ingame background or just a picture.

That's actually looking pretty neat... I like it! Hard to pick, but I believe the rightmost one is a little prettier.