The Dark Mod Forums

DOOM documentary

Goldwell

For those who are fans of the game DOOM and of the series this might be of interest, a three part documentary on how the latest Doom game came to be is going to be released online for free next week.

Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkH78CGsjhc

Edited by Goldwell
  • Like 3

The lastest installation of DOOM is pure perfection, from a technical perspective (Vulkan rendering path is awesome! I can play @High/Ultra with a 4 years old 7850 with 1 GB of VRAM) and from a gameplay perspective (pure demon slashing bliss).

The story too is good and I think you can read it as a great human (as individual and as society) metaphor.

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Part one of the documentary is out now:

Part One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS6SBnccxMA

Edited by Goldwell
  • Like 4

Oh that was fun! I was always curious about how they arrived at the concept for doom (2016). I'm a pretty big fan of the direction they took the game in. Thanks for the post Goldwell.

• Like 1

Part two is here, it talks about designing of the game's opening level which is very interesting. Also I have a new found respect for Hugo Martin, that guy is just plain awesome.

Part Two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsoVQWnSOfM

Edited by Goldwell
  • Like 1

And now the third and final part has been released, it covers more of the level design and the soundtrack.

Part Three

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0nOsuaPDeg

Edited by Goldwell
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I got this one for my birthday.

I must say that the controls are smooth as glass and it really is a pretty game.

It's really surreal though. To me, this game is less "let's reboot DOOM for 2016" and more

"let's use a professional game studio to make the best Doom 3 mod ever".

It's still got a bunch of slow tension building areas. It's still got some claustrophobic areas and jump-scares.

It's still got some darker, areas (though no flashlight is required). There's no incessant jabber from your Sargent over the coms but

you do get coms updates from the lead scientist (etc). The default pistol still seems kinda weak (though it's more of a blaster than

a gun this time). Visually? It's VERY reminiscent of the default look of Sikkmod. It's like they used a data miner to gather all the

attributes of the most popular Doom 3 mods and compiled a product with that.

Still, when it sheds it's System Shock \ Doom 3 pretense and throws you into a "battle set-piece" it's truly a spectacle to behold.

I really hope that the later levels keep the story building and atmospherics to a minimum and throw you into the big battles ASAP.

Doom is not a game you purchase to savor a complex story progression. You buy it to "shoot the hell outta demons".

Doom 2016 seems to get this point better than Doom 3 but there are still some "survival horror" trappings lingering around in there.

Snapmap was far more promising than I imagined. I played one of the amateur maps last night and was blown away by how organic it looked.

I'm sure if I had completed the game, it might've looked like recycled material but even with that in mind it was impressive to see such smooth

and varied design work from such a simplistic editor tool.

I also played a neat recreation of an original Doom shareware level. It was great. I still wanna see some proper recreation like the Classic Doom 3

mod though. From the two snapmap experiences above, it looks like someone could do it.

Pretty much all you could ask for except real mod tools. I'll give it a recommended. :)

• Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

See? And you can read the story as multilayered too.

I quote myself on reddit:

I'm the only one who thinks this DOOM reboot is simply awesome not only because of a perfect gameplay but because it is a great - and absolutely not trivial - nietzschian metaphore for the human fighting spirit, as individual and as society ("mankind" at large) ? The demons are the natural inner demons we got as human beings and the "upgraded" too because our lust for dominance over the nature (see the upgrade from Mancubus to Cyber-Mancubus thanks to technology). At the end it's our "rip&tear" animal, baseline, instinct that paradoxically saves us from demonical machinations of our overgrown mind, from that final "Doom"....literally killing him (->"Doom Slayer" that kills the spider...MIND). And yes, I think the DOOM's creators intended precisely all of this message (and our speculations about).

• Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

And man, for a game with "no story pretence" there's a lot of meat (LOL) - check the diaries, the dialogues, etc. - and the narration itself of the story is semi-perfect. It's properly "epic".

If only Thief 2014, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Mankind Divided can be equal to Doom in these aspects :(

Edited by lowenz

I enjoyed Doom a lot more than I thought I would. I bought Wolfenstein and got access to the beta of Doom multiplayer and hated it. The movement, the controls etc. All of it, and I wasn't the only one. The reviews were pretty consistently bad.

Then the game came out and I just had to buy it, I'll always support iD Software, I'm a fanboy what can I say.

I didn't even install it for weeks, until I started hearing reviews and watching other people play it.

Loaded it up and didn't stop playing for 9 hours straight. I just wanted to find all the secrets, get all the upgrades, kill everything! Amazing engine, beautiful visuals and it ran great on my 4770k and 780ti.

I totally fell in love.

So, thanks for sharing these documentaries, great stuff.

• Like 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.