Photo

Why is DR 2.1.0 trying to acess the internet..?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18133 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:08 PM

I just caught DR trying to access the net, I cant imagine this is something it needs to nor that Greebo codded it. So I have to assume a tool Greebo used when compiling DR is sneakily trying to access the web. The only thing of note that I have done recently is allowed Discord to know I am using while chatting via its local client - so I am wondering if that is somehow trying to request next access through DR....?

Attached File  DR_wtf_net.JPG   38.6KB   0 downloads

The IP address comes up as Cloudflare, would would DR be trying to call home to Cloudflare over a port 443....?

#2 greebo

greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 15919 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 06:42 AM

No, DarkRadiant definitely isn't instructed to connect to the net, not even checking for updates. It's not in the source code, so my guess is that some other DLL is loaded alongside the process and this DLL is trying to connect to whatever that site is (I don't know what it does, one could intercept it with a network monitor). Usually these DLLs are hooked into mouse drivers, antivirus tools or other operating system stuff, that's why DarkRadiant can't prevent these things from getting loaded.

#3 kano

kano

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:12 AM

https://www.infoq.co...l-cpp-telemetry

Here's your primary suspect, right here.

#4 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18133 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:00 PM

In the meantime, users who have a copy of VS2015 Update 2 and wish to turn off the telemetry functionality currently being compiled into their code should add “notelemetry.obj” to their linker command line.  (This fix was confirmed by Carroll.)

@Kano  - nice find! I suspected as much.

@Greebo, want me to create a bug-tracker for this..?

#5 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:43 PM

@Greebo, want me to create a bug-tracker for this..?

It doesn't have be mandatory for everyone, even if it wasn't intended to work this way. Some people willingfully turn on telemetry.

Edited by Anderson, 21 December 2016 - 02:35 PM.

#6 greebo

greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 15919 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:16 PM

Ah, that explains a lot. Well, I've been updating to VS2015 Update 3 recently anyway, so this behaviour should be gone with the next release.

#7 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18133 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:14 PM

Grand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users