linux william steele 3 cleighmoor 2.06+ trunk

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hamlet

Hamlet

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:14 AM

(this is a follow up from a question in My experience with The Dark Mod under Linux)

I am writing a new post on a question that I think is better to follow its own thread. If this is against the policy or the custom, I apologise - please let me know in that case.

Are you able to run "William Steel 3: Cleighmoor" without crashing?

I had not tried. I am not very willing to play that mission since I haven't played the previous two (and my skill are shaped so far only by the training mission), but I can do some testing.

At this point it's relevant that I know what I am looking for.

I downloaded it and started it.

1. first time: looked at the introduction, spent a few minutes to realise I needed to click on the bottom arrow to get the next part of the introduction, then toward the end of the introduction I was slammed at the command prompt, no evidence of crash. Strange...
  2. second time: I tried to skip the introduction; I found William in a dark tunnel, very very dark, my desk lamp not helping. So I asked him to turn on his lantern... fortunately he had one. Then I made a few steps forward to reach an intersection, just to hear a person passing in front of me, dressed like a guard. He ignores me and keeps muttering despite my light gem is white surrounded by red surrounded by ringing bells and an orchestra playing Richard Strauss. I assume that he just has nothing against me. After all, not always we are the suspect types. When he gets at the turn of the tunnel, maybe ten meters away, it suddenly realise that somebody was playing Strauss and he has no iPod, and becomes suspicious. I douse my lantern, I let him look for me for a while and then I quit. No crash at all this time.
  3. third time: I duly waited for the intro to transition into the mission, and when it did not happen for long enough I clicked on the X at the bottom. The mission started, and I led William to wander around the sewers until a guard caught and sliced him. No crash.

What else should I check?

Summary: self-compiled The Dark Mod:

• Gentoo Linux, 64 bit system with 32 bit libraries available
  • GCC 5.4.0
  • Boost 1.62.0
  • Scons 2.5.0
  • OpenAL 1.17.2
  • FreeALUT 1.1.0
  • The Dark Mode SVN trunk, commit #6731 plus custom patches documented in thread My experience with The Dark Mod under Linux

#2 freyk

freyk

• PipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 11:20 AM

Are there any logs generated?
Or please create and post some logs.
http://forums.thedar...training-arena/

#3 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 35809 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:29 PM

second time: I tried to skip the introduction; I found William in a dark tunnel, very very dark, my desk lamp not helping. So I asked him to turn on his lantern... fortunately he had one. Then I made a few steps forward to reach an intersection, just to hear a person passing in front of me, dressed like a guard. He ignores me and keeps muttering despite my light gem is white surrounded by red surrounded by ringing bells and an orchestra playing Richard Strauss. I assume that he just has nothing against me. After all, not always we are the suspect types. When he gets at the turn of the tunnel, maybe ten meters away, it suddenly realise that somebody was playing Strauss and he has no iPod, and becomes suspicious. I douse my lantern, I let him look for me for a while and then I quit.

Sounds like he was hearing you but not seeing you.  The guards in that area should react to seeing you.

Posted Image

#4 Hamlet

Hamlet

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 12:48 AM

I am not sure I understand the request, but I will try. Tell me if and how I misunderstood you.

I started the mission "William Steele 3: Cleighmoor" (I was playing Saint Lucia before) via graphic interface, then I quit and run:

./thedarkmod.x86 +developer 1 +map ws3_cleighmoor +developer 1 +logfile 2

which I inferred from somewhere in the post you linked. Then I played a bit with my room lights on, which is good when you want William to end up sliced soon.

William ended up sliced soon. Then I quit. Again no crash.

Peeking in the darkmod/fms/ws3_cleighmoor I found a darkmod.txt and a qconsole.log (that in the attachment magically becomes qconsole.txt).

I was not stricken with meaning after reading them, but you know better.

By the way, I remember Quake having some demo mode... does Doom 3/The Dark Mod have anything similar? Playing a demo may be invaluable to perform this type of diagnosis across different people and platforms.

Attached Files

#5 freyk

freyk

• PipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:29 AM

Thanks for the log.

==
Note:
I have no experiences with "unofficial" binaries.
Please use the official 2.04 binaries by downloading them by using tdm-updater and check if the problem reoccurs.
(md5sum of the official 2.04 thedarkmod.x86binary is "ca8a73a901362b61d4c591aecbd8110e")
And if you use code of 2.05, please post this problem in the beta-topic.

They need also logs, so you have to create some.
==

Only qconsole.log was useful. In this qconsolelog we can read that, the mission crashes the application.
(maybe grayman can help, to analyse this log)
But we must know this certain, that the mission crashes the application.

So They/we need a also clean log.
Please install the trainingsmission and run tdm with arguments:
./thedarkmod.x86 +gfxinfo +map training_mission +condump logtrainingsmission.txt +quit
This will automaticly start tdm, load the mission and close tdm.
you find the logtrainingsmission.txt in the tdm-folder.
Instead of posting the files, please copy its content to a spoiler.

Maybe a clean log of cleighmore will be also useful for them
./thedarkmod.x86 +gfxinfo +map ws3_cleighmoor +condump logtrainingsmission.txt +quit

Edited by freyk, 25 December 2016 - 04:07 AM.

#6 Hamlet

Hamlet

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:51 AM

I have entered sheep mode some posts ago, and I am comfortable with that. I am writing this just to clarify that I have no idea of what the purpose of this test is, so I hope somebody knows. I am glad to provide information, but in the end except for a non-reproduced abortion and a non-reproduced strange A.I. quirk, I am not noticing anything strange.

Ok, back to business.

I have restored the "official" version of executable and shared library (that is gamex86.so) and run the two commands. I realise I did not remove the special material for the light gem that is needed for a future revision... I hope that does not affect your conclusions.

The following is the log from the training mission.

Spoiler

And this is the one from William Steele the Third:

Spoiler

In addition to the previous information, I add that the video board mounts a Radeon HD 7870 chip.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: linux, william steele 3 cleighmoor, 2.06+ trunk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users