The Dark Mod Forums

Nightvision: an Alternative for Ambient_world?

Sotha

Your input  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which was better?

• Traditional ambient_world method
    • Nightvision method
    • Both have their own pros and cons

Implementing Nightvision in your FM is ultra easy. You need:

1) the script given here:

void update_player_nightvision()
{

vector adjusted_origin;
adjusted_origin=$player1.getOrigin() + '0 0 64'; //must adjust origin a bit higher so that the light is in the players head.

$darkvision.setOrigin(adjusted_origin);

}

2) a trigger_timer (start_on 1 ; wait 0.01)

3) a atdm:target_callscriptfunction (call update_player_nightvision)

4) have the trigger_timer to target the atdm:target_callscriptfunction

5) a light called "darkvision" (I used for Coersion version: light_radius 400 400 400 ; noshadows 1 ; texture lights/biground1 ; _color 0.024 0.024 0.059)

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I played for a little while.

1 - Provides darkness that's more real than when a general ambient is used.

2 - Every nearby surface reacted like I was wearing a miner's cap casting a faint blue glow. The metals became shiny blue as I approached, and the walls showed a point source of blue moving across them as I walked along.

3 - After dousing a few torches and candles, the middle and far distance became black, and I couldn't see any oncoming guards. I could hear them, but not see them. At the end of my test, a heretofore unseen guard swept out of the black yelling, "Now I've got you!" and I was dead.

4 - I passed a guy sleeping on a bed in a blackened room. I didn't know he was there until he woke up and asked if someone was there.

5 - Doors popped into existence (surprise!) as I approached and they suddenly highlighted. Less realistic than seeing the door first and then having it highlight when I closed in on it.

I would probably adjust the blue light to grey and tone it down some, to reduce the "miner's cap" effect.

I want to try this in an outdoor scene and see what it looks like. WS4 is mostly outdoors in a rainstorm with an overall bluish ambient. Surviving requires seeing oncoming patrolling guards, and I'm wondering if the nightvision approach would enhance or diminish the experience.

• Like 2

Thief 4 used a hybrid approach, which might be a good compromise.

I would remove the specular stage from the light attached to the player so you don't get any gleaming.

I don't know the technical details, but they had a low-level ambient (dark areas were not totally dark), and areas in a small radius around the player were lit up further.

Thanks for the feedback! I would be really pleased if you found this useful.

In my tests, with the test map, I could see clearly stuff in darkness within 200 units of so (the lamp radius is 400 units.) Thus, I believe it is a monitor brightness thing, and you would probably get a better experience with slightly increased gamma levels, or touching up the darkvision lamp light level a bit in the .map file.

Now that I think about it, the Nightvision should be re-calibrated in the TDM gamma-room so that people have matching experience. Monitor brightnesses will vary.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Very cool! I like the effect you have here.

Have you tried out any of the other light textures? It might benefit from a stronger falloff- so objects appear / disappear at a shorter distance. I would say that a combination of this and world ambient is a pretty elegant solution for most FMs. However, I would be mindful of the blue coloring as some people might find it jarring.

Edited by kingsal
  • Like 1

To put my lot in, I would suggest you use atdm:ambient_world instead of a generic light entity for the bound light. This way, when you set up locations, you can adjust the ambient light colours in those and atdm:ambient_world would react accordingly, allowing you to give the light location-appropriate tints.

Edited by Spooks

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

• 2 weeks later...

To put my lot in, I would suggest you use atdm:ambient_world instead of a generic light entity for the bound light. This way, when you set up locations, you can adjust the ambient light colours in those and atdm:ambient_world would react accordingly, allowing you to give the light location-appropriate tints.

• the ambient_world light is rendered differently from the other lights, so it might not yield the desired effect
  • if you want to adjust the light bound to the flame you can alter the scriptobject handling the locations (tdm_locations_settings.script or something like that). the script is intuitive and well documented as far as I remember

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter