greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 15956 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:20 PM

Build from latest git fails under 32-bit Slackware 14.2, with wxWidgets 3.1.0:

Spoiler
AFAICT, that's the only build error.

It compiles fine here with the wxGTK3 slackbuild. Where did you get the wxWidgets 3.1.0 version from? What's the content of the file wx/generic/dataview.h, obviously this header differs from the 3.1.0 version I'm using, since the protected method is mssing.

#52 NightStalker

NightStalker

Linux hero

• Development Role
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:33 PM

Where did you get the wxWidgets 3.1.0 version from? What's the content of the file wx/generic/dataview.h, obviously this header differs from the 3.1.0 version I'm using, since the protected method is mssing.

From the usual place: http://wxwidgets.org/downloads/

Specifically, from here.

Contents of '/usr/local/include/wx-3.1/wx/generic/dataview.h':
Spoiler

#53 greebo

greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 15956 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:39 PM

Well, it appears that the GTK version of wxDataViewCtrl in 3.1.0 has different protected methods than the generic implementation. That's nice. I've added another preprocessor guard around that, so it should compile again.

#54 NightStalker

NightStalker

Linux hero

• Development Role
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:48 PM

Thx, greebo! Will grab latest and report back ASAP.

#55 NightStalker

NightStalker

Linux hero

• Development Role
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:07 AM

Your fix takes care of the problem. Thanks again!

A minor new problem with i18n has cropped up since the successful compile I did from latest git circa 07 Jan 2017. I worked around it by deleting the content of the 'install/i18n/LINGUAS' file and re-building. DR now compiles and runs fine.

Here's the build failure output:

Spoiler

And here's the relevant region of 'install/i18n/Makefile':
Spoiler

If you need me to re-test after any changes, just let me know.

#56 greebo

greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 15956 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:20 AM

I have no idea what's wrong on your system. Maybe the gettext binaries are missing, I've had something like this in the past.

#57 NightStalker

NightStalker

Linux hero

• Development Role
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:11 PM

I have no idea what's wrong on your system. Maybe the gettext binaries are missing, I've had something like this in the past.

FWIW, it's not that (assuming I'm understanding you correctly):

==> which gettext
/usr/bin/gettext

==> gettext --version
gettext (GNU gettext-runtime) 0.19.8.1

In fact, since Jan 7th, when I last successfully built and ran DR from latest git on the same system/HDD, nothing has changed on that HDD other than some new TDM source code and some TDM 2.05-beta updates. That HDD is used exclusively for TDM and DR and it's a full, virgin 32-bit Slackware 14.2 installation (from DVD-ROM) with the addition of only the OpenAL-Soft libraries (for TDM compiles) and FTGL + wXWidgets-3.1.0 (for DR), all compiled from source code.

So this seems like a new issue on DR's side, otherwise I would not have even mentioned it. A quick check shows a few recent i18n-related changes in the tree, so I suspect one of them has broken something for my setup.

For the record, I'm perfectly OK with using my work-around indefinitely if this is something you'd rather not pursue.

#58 greebo

greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 15956 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:48 PM

There's not terribly much I can do about it, I'm afraid. I'm running Slackware 14.2 x86 in a virtual machine here and the latest git code compiles without complaints. I'm using the wxGTK3 slackbuild though.

#59 NightStalker

NightStalker

Linux hero

• Development Role
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:15 PM

There's not terribly much I can do about it, I'm afraid.

Not a problem. But, just out of curiosity, have you done any successful compiles recently from scratch, i.e. pulling the git tree in a fresh directory and running 'autogen.sh && configure --enable-darkmod-plugins && make'.  Or, failing that, maybe just running 'make distclean && make' on your existing git tree?

I'm no i18n guru by any stretch.  It just seemed to me that there's a file ('de.po') that's missing from the build directory which was probably there when I compiled on Jan 7th.  And I'm speculating (with little evidence, ATM) that it might not be there for you either if you start from scratch or do the 'make distclean'.

#60 greebo

greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 15956 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:13 PM

It seems the Makefile.in.in update I checked in to fix a gettext complaint was causing this. It overwrote a few custom changes by OrbWeaver which I didn't notice before - these are restored now and it should work again.

#61 NightStalker

NightStalker

Linux hero

• Development Role
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:34 AM

Confirmed.  Lastest git code is building nicely now with no need for a hacked 'LINGUAS' file.  Thank you.

#62 greebo

greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 15956 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:00 PM

New build (pre4) is up in the first post, fixing a crash when loading ASE model surfaces without texture coordinates.

#63 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18454 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:36 PM

Downloading..

#64 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11676 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:29 PM

Where are models scaled by DR housed?

#65 greebo

greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 15956 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:13 AM

Where are models scaled by DR housed?

The resized model will be saved in ASE format to the models/map_specific/scaled/ folder.

#66 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11676 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:25 AM

Isn't this a problem?

Shouldn't it be saved in "Mod Base"/models/map_specific/scaled/   ?

I've been working on my map using 2.05, and when I built a new build package yesterday, I wiped the old one and installed the new one. Unbeknownst to me, I wiped my scaled models, they've disappeared from my map, and now I have to find and rescale them all.

And since the mapper usually packages his mission from "Mod Base", what's to keep him from forgetting about his scaled models in darkmod?

And if I'm working on two missions at the same time (as I am) and I scale the same model differently in each mission, the second scaling will overwrite the first, and the first mission is screwed if I don't use the same scale.

#67 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11676 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:49 AM

FWIW, here's a picture of my DR game settings ...

Attached File  game.jpg   149.37KB   0 downloads

#68 greebo

greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 15956 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:42 PM

FWIW, here's a picture of my DR game settings ...

attachicon.gifgame.jpg

I think we have to discuss a few things. :)

The way you've set up your Doom 3 game config is kind of the other way around like it's designed to work. Back when we had darkmod as a Mod to the Doom 3 game, a Fan Mission would be set up like this:

- Engine: C:\Games\Doom3

- Mod Base: darkmod

- Mod: fms/saintlucia

"Mod base" is the foundation the actual "Mod" (==FM) is basing on. That's how it worked with Doom 3 in mind. Now DarkRadiant has a "The Dark Mod 2.0 (Standalone)" game config available where you just need to define this:

- Engine C:\Darkmod

- Mod: fms/saintlucia

The above two are set up such that everything is in folders below the engine path.

Now, the thing that's confusing me about your config is this: First, you've set up your WIP Mission in the mod base (fs_game_base) and darkmod as Mod (fs_game) - the search order for PK4s and folders will be reversed to what it's supposed to be. And second, I didn't know that one could define absolute paths in these two entry boxes - I take it this is actually working? I'm not sure all the code dealing with fs_game and fs_game_base can deal with that sort of thing. Do the particle editor and the readable editor, etc. work as they should?

Does every mission author have a setup like this?

And to answer the question of the other post: DarkRadiant is currently saving the models to the "Mod" (fs_game) path (plus models/map_specific/scaled), as fs_game is the folder where your FM is supposed to be. That way DR would never overwrite stuff in the darkmod folder, and FM don't interfere.

#69 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11676 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:05 PM

I have to keep my mission work out 'darkmod', otherwise a delete of 'darkmod' will delete my mission work as well. This can happen as I delete/update 'darkmod' during release beta testing.

We worked with taaaki after you left the stage to allow the mission author to place his mission work anywhere.

This is the setup I've used for as long as I can remember.

I can't speak for other authors, though I've posted my setup a few times in the past when people were asking how to set things up. I don't know who followed the way I do things.

I've had no issues with pk4 search hierarchy.

AFAIK, the particle editor works fine, and the only problem I have with the readable editor is it sometimes gives me the "You can't update a pk4, so rename the name of the readable text" message, which I work around.

I can try any settings that don't require me to house my work under the 'darkmod' folder.

#70 greebo

greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 15956 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:15 AM

I have to keep my mission work out 'darkmod', otherwise a delete of 'darkmod' will delete my mission work as well. This can happen as I delete/update 'darkmod' during release beta testing.

We worked with taaaki after you left the stage to allow the mission author to place his mission work anywhere.

Ok, so the requirement is to have the mission stuff in a completely different folder tree, which is unaffected if you purge your darkmod tree. I have to tinker around a bit to see how your setup actually works in DR.

In the meantime, can you try to swap the fs_game and fs_game_base setting in your config and see if that is working equivalently for you? Because the ScaledModelExporter is currently using Mod (fs_game) as output path, which is definitely how it should work in a Doom 3-based environment (which is something I still want to be compatible with since DarkRadiant is mainly, but not exclusively designed for The Dark Mod).

#71 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18454 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:41 AM

Getting a crash when loading a map -

- dumpfile

Attached File  dr220_crash.JPG   76.44KB   1 downloads

#72 greebo

greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 15956 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:56 AM

That's the same crash in the ASE loader that has been fixed in pre4. You're still on pre3. :)

#73 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5028 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:38 AM

My setup is as described by greebo, and I think it is also the way it is described on the wiki.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#74 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11676 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:50 AM

In the meantime, can you try to swap the fs_game and fs_game_base setting in your config and see if that is working equivalently for you? Because the ScaledModelExporter is currently using Mod (fs_game) as output path, which is definitely how it should work in a Doom 3-based environment (which is something I still want to be compatible with since DarkRadiant is mainly, but not exclusively designed for The Dark Mod).

That fixed where the scaled model is saved.

I'll need to work with it this way for a while to see if anything else is affected. Hopefully this corrects the problem I was seeing with the readables editor.

Thanks!

#75 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11676 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:09 AM

My setup is as described by greebo, and I think it is also the way it is described on the wiki.

Yes, that's fine as long as you don't delete your darkmod tree from time to time, as I do.

Where, exactly, is it described in the wiki? All I found was this: "The fs_game setting should point to your darkmod installation." which is the way I had it, but apparently that's not correct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users