My first map questions & work in progress

newbiequestions duh

229 replies to this topic

#226 Judith

Judith

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:16 PM

That shouldn't be a problem. There's something wrong with that meshes, because the same material put on brushes looks fine:

do_2017-04-15_01.22.23.jpg

At first I thought the planes might be too big for proper specularity, so I might need to more subdivisions, but then this happened :D

do_2017-04-15_00.02.28.jpg

• Bikerdude, Goldwell and Anderson like this

#227 Judith

Judith

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:06 AM

Alright, box mesh works well with this material, while the plane mesh does not. That doesn't make much sense to me, since I already made objects like columns with open edges and some of their polygons deleted, as they're never visible. They work okay and cast proper shadows.

Edited by Judith, 15 April 2017 - 07:18 AM.

#228 Judith

Judith

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:51 PM

After several hours wasted, I finally found the source of the problem. Typically before exporting, you adjust mesh pivot for proper snapping, and you Align the pivot to the world (i.e. to current scene in 3smax), so the mesh isn't e.g. turned on one of the sides after importing it in game engine. YOU MUSN'T DO THIS IN DARKMOD. Looks like the initial rotation of the pivot is used by the idtech4 as a reference to calculate specularity and cubemaps for the polygons. When you align it to your scene in 3dsmax, you'll mess it up. You can still move the pivot, just don't rotate it. This is for ASE files btw., not sure how it works with LWO.

#229 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17947 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:37 PM

Your texture/model work is over most people heads, including mine - keep up the good work ^_^

• Judith likes this

#230 Judith

Judith

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:14 PM

Thanks Biker, I already added it to my notes, this will be written huge block letters ;) To illustrate it better:

This is what you typically do before export. Notice the actual pivot (big arrows) aligned with the move gizmo in 3dsmax. This is what you should not be doing, even though you do that for all other game engines:

image.jpg

If you export your mesh and load your map, the lightning will look like this:

image.jpg

Don't mind the mesh distortion, I added it to see whether subdivisions help anything (they make it even worse). There are two lights here, btw. and it looks like there are many more. And see this weird stuff at the top?

Now, this is mesh with a pivot that didn't have any rotation/scene alignment. As you can see, axes are not aligned. And for idtech4 this is alright. In other game engines this piece would be imported horizontally.

image.jpg

And finally, everything is works as it should. The disaster has been averted ;)

image.jpg

Edited by Judith, 15 April 2017 - 05:15 PM.

• Moonbo and Anderson like this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users