The Dark Mod Forums

My first map – questions & work in progress

peter_spy

I like your entrepeneur spirit. However, all this has already been investigated. :) Check this and this.

I don't think it's 100% accurate, e.g. I managed to run + jump + mantle a ledge that was 192 U away from the jumping platform. It's a bit harder than e.g. 160 U, so I'd leave that for rare loot or highest difficulty.

Edit: although the good thing is, the damage seems to be fixed. In Deadly Shadows the threshold was way higher and damage was randomized, which was a little confusing.

Edited by Judith

I'm kind of more concerned about lockpicking right now. I must say, I didn't get the system until The Gatehouse, because I wouldn't be able to finish it otherwise. AFAIK, players like Fen use auto lockpicking all the time, which is slightly boring. I'm yet to see how locks and chests work in the editor, so I guess there's either a way to shorten the auto-lockpick time, or I'll try to educate players on that via loading screen tips. I'd rather do the latter, because the system is cool, once you get the hang of it.

Edited by Judith

Out of curiosity: Have you played the tutorial? Lockpicking (and all the other mechanics) are explained there, but many people (especially very experienced Thief players) skip, as they generally think that they know how everything works. That way it happens quite often that players miss a couple of small differences (like the lockpicking system).

• Like 3

That's exactly what I did! I only read the gameplay manual on wiki because I kept dying in that one trap in the Gatehouse FM ;) I'm thinking about putting both a loading tip, and a short note in player inventory about how the new lockpicks work.

I'm kind of more concerned about lockpicking right now. I must say, I didn't get the system until The Gatehouse, because I wouldn't be able to finish it otherwise. AFAIK, players like Fen use auto lockpicking all the time, which is slightly boring. I'm yet to see how locks and chests work in the editor, so I guess there's either a way to shorten the auto-lockpick time, or I'll try to educate players on that via loading screen tips. I'd rather do the latter, because the system is cool, once you get the hang of it.

I never got the difference between the lockpicking easy difficulty and auto-lockping. It doesn't on auto pilot mode lockpick it like Thief 1 & 2 does so what's it supposed to mean exactly? The tutorial doesn't say anything on it.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

If I remember correctly, in auto mode you can just hold RMB and wait for 3 or 4 sound loops to play and the door will be opened (and this takes quite a long time). In other modes you have to wait for the silence between the sound and either press LMB or release RMB as fast as possible. The latter opens the lock much faster, so it would be great if players actually used it.

Edit: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=The_Dark_Mod_Gameplay#Lockpicking

Edited by Judith
  • Like 1

If I remember correctly, in auto mode you can just hold RMB and wait for 3 or 4 sound loops to play and the door will be opened (and this takes quite a long time). In other modes you have to wait for the silence between the sound and either press LMB or release RMB as fast as possible. The latter opens the lock much faster, so it would be great if players actually used it.

Edit: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=The_Dark_Mod_Gameplay#Lockpicking

I think it's supposed to work that way but in auto mode I still have to press LMB for some reason. That would be the idea. Maybe I'm having a glitch?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

You can use the LMB in auto mode, but if you don't it opens after 3 (?) repetitions of the pattern.

Alright thank you. I had an impression, precisely that every FM I played overrides the auto lockpick setting.

badge?user=andarson

You can release RMB instead of pressing LMB? Maybe I should replay it either :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

And now for something completely different:

How do you guys handle moving around prefab objects? As soon as I put them in the map (e.g. chests), the break up into individual pieces, which makes them hard to select. Should I group them first? In T3ed most of such objects used attachment links, so as long as you moved the base object, the rest just followed it around.

Nothing major to report yet. Just first take on custom textures and materials.

tut_2017_01_30_21_22_12.jpg

Man, I've forgotten most of my workflow, so first few hours were mostly trial and error. But it will come back to me, eventually. I also forgot that making good speculars is hard :) You have to constantly remind yourself about the material you're working with, and whether it works with currently used normalmap. Otherwise you end with shiny bumpy mess. Good thing is, the iteration is fast, and when I know what I want, it's a pure pleasure to work on those.

Edited by Judith
  • Like 2

Hmm, I thought I did everything according to wiki instructions, but textures only show up in DR, in game models are black.

tut_2017_01_31_00_11_44.jpg

I'll see what I can do tommorow, manual editing of ASE files is not a good idea when you're tired ;)

Edit: I hope it's just this: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Problematic_Paths_in_Models

Edited by Judith

That's no requirement. I would check the paths for typos etc.. The console might also hold useful error messages or warnings.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I might need a step-by-step instruction for 3dsmax. Max seems to complicate things a bit, there are 4 materials from the scene, and only one is applied. I also tried this method: https://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/modelexport_3dsmax.php but it didn't work. Models are always black and kind of see-through.

Just to back up a bit, you did review this one too correct:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Starting_to_Model_for_TDM

You've got images, material definitions, and model defs with all the right paths?

Edit:

Also, since Doom3world is gone, you may want to add Katsbits to your resource sites for idTech4:

https://www.katsbits.com/

along with id Tech forums:

http://idtechforums.fuzzylogicinc.com/

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I think I didn't convert the model to editable mesh before exporting, I'll see to that in a sec. I saw in other FMs that you can put your meshes in e.g.: fmname/models/architecture along with the textures and material files, or you can use textures folder for that too (option I'd like to use). Maybe that is causing some problems.

I also found this, so I'll watch it too:

Edited by Judith

Right now the problem is that 3dsmax creates 3 or 4 materials, even when the scene is clean and there are no other materials defined in the library.

*MATERIAL_LIST {
*MATERIAL_COUNT 4
*MATERIAL 0 {
*MATERIAL_NAME "05 - Default"
*MATERIAL_CLASS "Standard"
*MATERIAL_AMBIENT 0.5882 0.5882 0.5882
*MATERIAL_DIFFUSE 0.5882 0.5882 0.5882
*MATERIAL_SPECULAR 0.9000 0.9000 0.9000
*MATERIAL_SHINE 0.1000
*MATERIAL_SHINESTRENGTH 0.0000
*MATERIAL_TRANSPARENCY 0.0000
*MATERIAL_WIRESIZE 1.0000
*MATERIAL_SHADING Blinn
*MATERIAL_XP_FALLOFF 0.0000
*MATERIAL_SELFILLUM 0.0000
*MATERIAL_FALLOFF In
*MATERIAL_XP_TYPE Filter
}
*MATERIAL 1 {
*MATERIAL_NAME "13 - Default"
*MATERIAL_SHINE 0.1000
*MATERIAL_SHADING Blinn
*MATERIAL_FALLOFF In
*MATERIAL_XP_TYPE Filter
*MAP_DIFFUSE {
*MAP_NAME "Map #16"
*MAP_CLASS "Bitmap"
*MAP_SUBNO 1
*MAP_AMOUNT 1.0000
*BITMAP "D:\tdm\fms\tut\textures\tut\models\arch\vaultcolumn01_d.tga"
*MAP_TYPE Screen
*UVW_U_OFFSET 0.0000
*UVW_V_OFFSET 0.0000
*UVW_U_TILING 1.0000
*UVW_V_TILING 1.0000
*UVW_ANGLE 0.0000
*UVW_BLUR 1.0000
*UVW_BLUR_OFFSET 0.0000
*UVW_NOUSE_AMT 1.0000
*UVW_NOISE_SIZE 1.0000
*UVW_NOISE_LEVEL 1
*UVW_NOISE_PHASE 0.0000
*BITMAP_FILTER Pyramidal
}
}
*MATERIAL 2 {
*MATERIAL_NAME "01 - Default"
*MATERIAL_SHINE 0.1000
*MATERIAL_SHADING Blinn
*MATERIAL_FALLOFF In
*MATERIAL_XP_TYPE Filter
*MAP_DIFFUSE {
*MAP_NAME "Map #17"
*MAP_CLASS "Bitmap"
*MAP_SUBNO 1
*MAP_AMOUNT 1.0000
*BITMAP "D:\tdm\fms\tut\textures\tut\models\arch\vaultcolumn01_d.tga"
*MAP_TYPE Screen
*UVW_U_OFFSET 0.0000
*UVW_V_OFFSET 0.0000
*UVW_U_TILING 1.0000
*UVW_V_TILING 1.0000
*UVW_ANGLE 0.0000
*UVW_BLUR 1.0000
*UVW_BLUR_OFFSET 0.0000
*UVW_NOUSE_AMT 1.0000
*UVW_NOISE_SIZE 1.0000
*UVW_NOISE_LEVEL 1
*UVW_NOISE_PHASE 0.0000
*BITMAP_FILTER Pyramidal
}
}
*MATERIAL 3 {
*MATERIAL_NAME "14 - Default"
*MATERIAL_SHINE 0.1000
*MATERIAL_SHADING Blinn
*MATERIAL_FALLOFF In
*MATERIAL_XP_TYPE Filter
}
}

When I try to clean it up and make my textures go to Material 0, the model stops showing in the browser.

Edit: looks like there were some materials in the scene. Importing the obj version into a reset scene did the trick. OK, onto the next problem...

Edited by Judith

At some point I thought I might kill someone, but writing down my steps let me narrow down the problems. Here's what I did, please correct me if I should do something in more efficient way:

3dsmax to TDM mesh export workflow

1. Make your mesh, UVs, textures, etc.

2. Use Collapse all option, then Convert to Editable Mesh (important!).

3. In 3dsmax, you need to export the mesh from a completely clean scene to get a clean model definition in ASE file. You need to have only one material library slot with your diffuse texture, which you will apply to the mesh. You can save your scene with your models and use New/Reset options to clear everything in the scene and material library, and then import the model from the saved scene. Remember – no scene materials. Use lower caps for everything, and no spaces. I'm assuming you have your own mod (FM) path set up correctly, so export the mesh to fms/yourfmname/models/yourfmname/meshname.ASE. This way you'll have it in the model browser in folder with the name of your fm.

4. My textures have the same name as my mesh, but I guess this isn't necessary? Put mesh textures in the proper folder, i.e. fms/yourfmname/textures/yourfmname/models

5. Create a material definition file in your materials folder. It doesn't have to be the mesh name, and it can contain multiple definitions. Start your material with: textures/yourfmname/models/yourmeshname
Then add diffuse, specular and normal definitions with proper names of your textures (without extensions).

6. Edit the ASE file in the notepad. Look for *MATERIAL_NAME in MATERIAL 0. Insert the material path between the quotes, so it reads:
*MATERIAL_NAME "textures/yourfmname/models/yourmeshname"

7. Go to the *MAP_DIFFUSE section. Paste the material path in the BITMAP section, but make it start with //base/
E.g. //base/textures/yourfmname/models/yourmeshname

Now your ASE model will be visible both in model browser and ingame.

Also, this is why people have material and mesh editors as part of the GUI, I spent almost two bloody evenings figuring this out on my own.

Edited by Judith
  • Like 1