level design tutorials gamedev

34 replies to this topic

#26 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1908 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:05 AM

This is more relaxed talk on approach to world-building. Apart from some good advice, Scottish accent sounds absolutely gorgeous ;)

#27 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1908 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:42 PM

Never played Payday 2, but this may come in handy if you want to design a small map with a lot of replayability. Thoughts on gameplay and randomness are pretty solid:

http://www.generalvivi.com/blog/?p=410

#28 Aosys

Aosys

• PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:29 AM

This is more a video on game mechanic design than level design (specifically praising Thief's sound systems), but I think there are some good takeaways.

#29 Spooks

Spooks

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:42 PM

This is the second time I'm watching this talk, and this time around a lot of the points are starting to hit home for me.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016)

| Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM! |

#30 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1908 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 04:50 AM

I believe everyone should watch this:

• Aosys likes this

#31 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1908 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:58 AM

Melan mentioned a book by Christopher Alexander, this whole talk is based on his books, and it's very interesting:

• Spooks likes this

#32 Spooks

Spooks

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:26 AM

Hey hey, it's about The Timeless Way of Building! Melan recommended A Pattern Language, and this reminds me I should report back here now and say that I made it through most of that book over the summer.  At about a thousand pages, it's encyclopaedic (in volume, and arguably in content as it goes down the checklist of the largest superstructures of government to the minute details of building), but I appreciate the recommendation. It's very good in making you think in terms of context as to what you are building, which would ideally be human habitats and all that this fact entails. Only some of its information is applicable to (TDM) level design however, due to engine and game ruleset limitations.

I have been reading the Ecological Approach to Visual Perception by J.J. Gibson (while waiting on another visual literacy book, "Visual Intelligence: Perception, Image, and Manipulation in Visual Communication", to arrive) and I very much recommend Gibson if you hope to understand why and how we perceive our environment the way we do. It's a landmark work in optics (reading it I am fairly certain, though not for a fact, that he strongly influenced how PBR in CG is structured) and his concept of affordances is in wide use today and it is something you should familiarize yourself with.

On the topic of less contemporary authors, I have good old John Ruskin waiting on the e-shelf here: http://www.gutenberg...4-h/17774-h.htm and am planning on going through these essays soon.

• VanishedOne likes this

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016)

| Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM! |

#33 stumpy

stumpy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1920 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 06:02 PM

the payday 2 video, one of the batman games has an underground station that looks like that, they either pinched it off payday 2, or viceversa.

#34 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1908 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:06 AM

This is slightly older GDC lecture, Randy Smith is talking about player expression, using examples from both Thief and his own games:

Also not sure why this one is an hour long. The lecture is like 20 minutes, the rest is a black screen.

Edited by Judith, 08 February 2019 - 03:10 AM.

• Aosys likes this

#35 HMart

HMart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:17 AM

Also not sure why this one is an hour long. The lecture is like 20 minutes, the rest is a black screen.

Afaik that is a old trick to avoid youtube bad compression don't know if is still relevant today. 

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: level design, tutorials, gamedev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users