The Dark Mod Forums

Acrobat Reader RdrCEF

Destined

Hi guys,

I noticed today that upon opening a pdf-doument (the very interesting read shared by Judith here) my computer was working quite much. When I looked into the process manager, I noticed that a new background process (RdrCEF.exe) is started along with the Acrobat reader that uses 30-45% of my CPU and 170-250 MB RAM! According to a quick google search it continuously sends data to Amazon. As many people on this forum are quite picky regarding internet security, I wanted to make you aware of this point and will search for another pdf-viewer myself today.

Best regards,

Destined

Edit: I just noticed that apparently this problem is acutally quite old (most things I found are from 2015), but it appeared just today for me, so either it is a problem solely for me or it is currently resurfacing, but I think it is stil worth checking.

Edited by Destined
  • Like 1

Another vote for XChange; it has the best font rendering of the non-Adobe Windows PDF viewers I've tried. (Some of them can be startlingly bad with certain documents: my testbed is the manual from Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.)

Edited by VanishedOne

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

if you are on windows 10 pdf files get loaded into microsoft edge. completely avoids using the dodgy reader. although microsoft edge is rather dodgy but you dont get the adverts that you get if you use it as a web reader.

Edited by stumpy