The Dark Mod Forums

Steam Greenlight: TDM is ranked #1 atm.

Bikerdude

Voted yes, obviously :D

Ah... the beautiful Steam community. The main reason I stopped writing reviews there. I might lend a hand there if needed but I really don't want to though

Hopefully it will attract more players and contributors.

Oh man my played time is going to be in the millions of hours in no time.

I don't see any negatives coming out from this? If it gets greenlit it should provide a large bump to the player base and in turn to hopefully map makers.

The original Thief trilogy is on steam and I didn't note anything negative that affected the FM community surrounding it.

If it gets greenlit it should provide a large bump to the player base and in turn to hopefully map makers.

I am wondering how I/we will upload new missions, Im guessing either as (free) DLC or Updates. I think the DLC option sounds closer to the mechanism that we have atm?

I hope you don't mind that I used your trailer vid, that said clearly some people didn't get the obvious use of humor at the beginning of the vid though...

This needs new direction. The promotional material & description needs to be revamped, taken away from the hands of a lead developer and given to someone experienced as a conceptual or lead designer & community relations. It should not be done democratically, because then nothing will ever get done, but rather based on merit within the team. I'm not to fussed about the name.

I see them: (financial) problems.

money will be send to only one person. What wil he do with this??

What wil the community do with the money.

Etc.

Unless it has changed you can greenlit free to play games. The only money involved is at the start and that's the cost to submit it to greenlight, beyond that provided no prices are added the game can remain free.

I hope you don't mind that I used your trailer vid, that said clearly some people didn't get the obvious use of humor at the beginning of the vid though...

Personally I don't mind (also Paul11290 actually made the video, I only contributed that into vocal part) but I would recommend using a version of the trailer with that intro parody part omitted because I think when it comes to first impressions it doesn't really bode well with people / seems a little off. In the context of us here in the forum we know it's just silly and over the top but when someone is checking out the dark mod for the first time it probably seems a little weird, especially when the rest of the dark mod is quite serious.

Edit: After reviewing the page and reading some of the comments and immediate feedback, it seems like people are confused about the name and there are too many videos/screenshots in the previewer.

Most greenlight pages only have one video with a couple of screenshots demonstrating what the game is. If you would like I wouldn't mind shooting an updated trailer that explains clearly what the dark mod is and shows off some of the newer and flashier missions that really showcase the power of TDM (and for the naysayers, don't worry this trailer wont be the over the top cinematic style I usually make for trailers, this would aim for a more professional tone and showcase off the mod).

And in regards to the name if you didn't want to change it (fair enough) maybe on steam call it something like "The Dark Mod (Standalone Version)" or something like that, so as to not confuse people.

If you want me to go ahead with the new trailer, we can discuss it in PM's of what direction to go and shoot back and forth some ideas. In my head i've got a couple of really nice ideas that can show off and explain the mod more clearly and also show off some of the mission authors here too.

Edited by Goldwell

Unless it has changed you can greenlit free to play games. The only money involved is at the start and that's the cost to submit it to greenlight, beyond that provided no prices are added the game can remain free.

I hope TDM stays free in price and code, for the user.

But the datahosters we need to pay them, maybe with add's on steam? (not on this site/forum)

If you need someone to package tdm for Steam (windows/linux/mac), please let me know.

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Thanks for doing this. TDM going on Steam is definitely gonna generate some positive buzz and give TDM the attention it deserves.

New people will join and play TDM and that it what we always need.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

If you would like I wouldn't mind shooting an updated trailer that explains clearly what the dark mod is and shows off some of the newer and flashier missions that really showcase the power of TDM (and for the naysayers, don't worry this trailer wont be the over the top cinematic style I usually make for trailers, this would aim for a more professional tone and showcase off the mod).

Yes please fella.

Yes please fella.

Alright, I will get to work on the trailer and I plan on having it ready by the end of the week.

I just read this comment by "Veskaida"

[...] the game's description references Thief, and the game clearly takes gameplay and aethetic inspiration from the Thief series. So clearly people are going to be drawing comparisons, and wanting to know what is similar and different, which the trailer and description don't really address.

which reminded me that we should stress some of the differences (e.g. different lockpick system) and put them either into the description or point out that people should play the tutorial to get an overviewabout the differences.

Alternatively we could change the tutorial so that we have a tutorial for complete newbies and a "what is different" tutorial for experienced Thief/stealth players. The latter might exclude for example sneaking and shooting the bow, as these are most similar to Thief or at least state somewhere in the tutorial, which parts are different.

Edit: Another thing that might be noteworthy is that all missions are fan missions and consequently are not made by a professional team. This might scare off some people, but it might also soften some criticism (e.g. about the voice acting in one of the comments). Not sure if this would do more damage than help, but I wanted to mention it. Maybe at least say that all maps are provided by the community or somethign like that.

Edited by Destined
  • Like 1