The Dark Mod Forums

Steam Greenlight: TDM is ranked #1 atm.

Bikerdude

Join one of the more dodgy groups on steam that have more than 150 curators in the group but you have to pay that group 50% of the money the game would make, join a game publisher that also has a group on steam.

Why am I not surprised something like this even exists, in either event - never going to happen.

apparently there are some ways to get through greenlight quick

If you hadn't used the term "apparently", and tried to back up your claims with at least some facts, it wouldn't have looked like a conspiracy theory so much.

Seriously, relax, TDM WILL be greenlit, no matter if you make up negative stories about Steam now or not.

Edited by chakkman

The main technical objection then that I recall was the possibility that we wouldn't have control over FM distribution, that we had to integrate Steam into our game and distribute FMs via their DLC system instead of our in-game downloader (we might even look into doing that separately, but we don't want it exclusively). Then I understand that that restriction was either changed or clarified so we don't have to do that after all. So that cleared up that objection.

After that there aren't really technical objections AFAIK, just things like differences in gamer culture and covering all the foreseeable questions we might get bombarded with like why "mod" is in our title, why we don't take money, why won't we drop everything and add XYZ feature someone really wants, etc. Those might be annoyances, but I think the benefits outway the annoyance... We're going to get our game to a lot of people out there that understand what we're doing and can start contributing FMs and content that could never have known about it otherwise.

• Like 4

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Great news. Fully support greenlighting. I see no negatives in it at all now the rules of it have been changed. The game

needs much wider support and greenlight is the right way to go.

Woohoo #1 :D

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

The main technical objection then that I recall was the possibility that we wouldn't have control over FM distribution, that we had to integrate Steam into our game and distribute FMs via their DLC system instead of our in-game downloader (we might even look into doing that separately, but we don't want it exclusively). Then I understand that that restriction was either changed or clarified so we don't have to do that after all. So that cleared up that objection.

After that there aren't really technical objections AFAIK, just things like differences in gamer culture and covering all the foreseeable questions we might get bombarded with like why "mod" is in our title, why we don't take money, why won't we drop everything and add XYZ feature someone really wants, etc. Those might be annoyances, but I think the benefits outway the annoyance... We're going to get our game to a lot of people out there that understand what we're doing and can start contributing FMs and content that could never have known about it otherwise.

Great news. :)

And yes, I broadly agree. As long as the people behind the creation of TDM don't get overwhelmed by the notion they should pander to the users of a digital distribution service like Steam, and if they keep the project's vision on-point, I don't think TDM will be straying away from its atmosphere, design philosophy and development goals.

If anything, I find the idea that TDM could carve out a small community of niche genre fans over at Steam to be rather appealing. Steam has loads of problems nowadays (especially due to lax or murky administration), but when a well-working, civil community of players gets its start over there, it usually works fine. I hope this will be the case for TDM's fans on Steam.

• Like 1

There is a lot of discussion between us and Valve that needs to happen. Getting "Greenlit" only means we're being given a look into how the Greenlight system actually works and what we'd have to do to be a part of it.

• Like 2

The fact that being Greenlit just means your through one interface and into another actually explains a lot in terms of why so many developers seem so.... Unaware of how Valve actually does things.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

explains a lot in terms of why so many developers seem so.... Unaware of how Valve actually does things.

Yes, they're not exactly up-front about the requirements.

As Springheel said, we've arrived at Emerald City and pulled back the curtain to see the team of lawyers behind the shiny shiny.

...Take me down to the Emerald City where the grass is green and the law is easy....

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

IF TDM is going to be on steam - maybe it's worth adding DR to the software section..?

A game called "Aragami" has a mission editor built-in (which is great for quickly sketching out maps for other stealth/shooter games) and, well... the hundreds of levels that have popped up for that on the workshop are 99% (avg 30 a day) a complete waste of HDD space that has kinda ruined the game.
There's no curation or anything.

Is there some proposal as to how new missions would be added if the game is added to the steam catalogue?

But hey - at least the 30% steam-tax they charge for listing a game is gonna be... $0 heh :P

Edited by teh_saccade
  • Like 1