Photo

A-Z Beginner Guide Improvement (dmap part)

beginner guide tutorials introduction

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 Destined

Destined

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:45 PM

You first have to click on the rectangle on the right of rgb(40, 40, 40) (black in your case), this will open a new window, to which the description refers to. This is what is meant with "white rectangle button just below where it says 'Colour'" on the Wiki page.

#27 Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:33 PM

Wow. It sounds like the guide is quite out of date. Thanks for the heads up.

Some pages haven't really been updated with newer or more detailed info since 2010. As I learn DR, I can get by with the manual's current state (as it's still very, very helpful), but I'd also welcome some potential updates to every page.

Ok, I have added a comment that parts of the "Folder structure" section overlap with the "Dmap" section, I have added bullet points to the section, and while I was at it, I updated the Doom.exe to TheDarkMod.exe.

@mikulabc: If you are currently working with the A-Z Tutorial, would you be so kind and tell me which other parts are outdated or confusing? I will try to update them, when I find the time. This was already suggested in another thread, but it is best, if someone new could report, as more experienced people often can not say which parts are confusing for someone new...

If you don't mind, I'd also like to contribute to helping you finding stuff that might need updates. I'm still learning to work with DR, so if I run into anything weird or contradictory to TDM's current state, I'll let you know ASAP.

#28 stumpy

stumpy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:16 PM

guide is out of date and some of the text in the editor's help window which is defined in tdm def files is out of date, eg lockpicks, there's two, triangle 't' and snake 's', in the def file for locks it defines lockpick to be used on locks as bent 'b' and snake 's', bent lockpick doesn't exist, help info should be triangle 't' and snake 's' I know this is in wrong place but still, if someone decided to skip the guide, and use the help in the editor it would cause a broken map, not the fault of the editor just the bug in the tdm_locks.def help section.

eg wrong

"editor_var lock_picktype"        "This is a sequence of characters defining the lockpick types which need to be used on this mover. For instance, 'bs' means that the player must use the 'bent' lockpick ('b') and the 'snake' lockpick ('s') - in this order - to pick this lock."
correct

"editor_var lock_picktype"        "This is a sequence of characters defining the lockpick types which need to be used on this mover. For instance, 'ts' means that the player must use the 'triangle' lockpick ('t') and the 'snake' lockpick ('s') - in this order - to pick this lock."

Edited by stumpy, 13 March 2017 - 11:19 PM.

#29 Destined

Destined

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:07 PM

Some pages haven't really been updated with newer or more detailed info since 2010. As I learn DR, I can get by with the manual's current state (as it's still very, very helpful), but I'd also welcome some potential updates to every page.

If you don't mind, I'd also like to contribute to helping you finding stuff that might need updates. I'm still learning to work with DR, so if I run into anything weird or contradictory to TDM's current state, I'll let you know ASAP.

Of course! I will try to implement any sensible suggestions that are made and, hopefully, create an up-to-date version for DR newbies.

#30 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5213 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:10 PM

Since the location system is super useful for ambients and I think a majority of FMs will want to use the system, would it be a good idea for me to write a part setting up the rain ambient under the location system. Then perhaps I can change a speaker for something else. The catch is the location system kind of complicated.

• Petike the Taffer likes this
Posted Image

#31 Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:53 AM

Since the location system is super useful for ambients and I think a majority of FMs will want to use the system, would it be a good idea for me to write a part setting up the rain ambient under the location system. Then perhaps I can change a speaker for something else. The catch is the location system kind of complicated.

I think you could add it as an optional bit of advice for level building.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, guide, tutorials, introduction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users