Photo

Fan Mission: The Bakery Job by Sotha (2017/03/09)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Your opinion on The Bakery Job? (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Gameplay?

1. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Tolerable (1 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Good (5 votes [62.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

4. Excellent (2 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

5. Near Perfect (0 votes [0.00%])

Appearance?

2. Tolerable (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Good (6 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

4. Excellent (2 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Story & Text?

2. Tolerable (1 votes [12.50%] - View)

3. Good (6 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

4. Excellent (1 votes [12.50%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5600 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:17 PM

POPULAR

The Bakery Job is a tiny few room FM, where the player steals a recipe book. Made by Sotha.

Briefing:

It never ceases to amaze me what people are willing to do to gain the upper hand.

I recently met a client who is willing to pay me a nice sum of gold for breaking into a bakery.

Rafael's Bakery is known to be one of the best in the whole city of Bridgeport. He is known for his tasty bread and cakes, but what makes him famous is his delicious pastries, which are very popular dessert especially among the elite of the City.

The recipe for the pastries is a well guarded secret. Many competitors have tried to make pastries of equal deliciousness, but in vain. Now some of the competitors are looking for shortcuts, and this is where I come in.

The job is simple: break in the bakery, find Rafael's recipe book, steal it and get out. Slipping in through the back door is my best option for entry.

I doubt Rafael is expecting to get robbed: the bakery is not well guarded. Only a single guard and a worker are in the building in addition to Rafael himself and his wife.

Those who are going to sleep tonight must be in bed already, so it is time to get to work. I never go on a mission with an empty stomach, but this time I will definitely grab some dessert.

The entire building process of this mission was published in a youtube video series. New mappers are warmly welcome here:
http://forums.thedar...the-bakery-job/

...and on youtube:

BUILD TIME: 381 minutes.

CREDITS
Thanks goes to TDM team and the whole community.

Special thanks to OGDA and gnartsch for betatesting!

Link to the mission:

Cheers and enjoy!

• Melan, chakkman, Tarhiel and 10 others like this
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#2 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1254 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:25 PM

I sure love dough.

• grayman and Epifire like this

#3 V-Man339

V-Man339

Perfectionist Taffer

• PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:08 PM

Sotha, you keep making your levels easier and shorter and I keep wondering if you're subtly making fun of people like me.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.
Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

#4 Cambridge Spy

Cambridge Spy

• PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:46 AM

Here's my YouTube walkthrough of it:

• Melan and Petike the Taffer like this
"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

#5 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4393 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:55 AM

Sotha, you keep making your levels easier and shorter and I keep wondering if you're subtly making fun of people like me.

Easier? Going the no-KO route, the mission was quite on the hard side with three patrolling AI in a limited amount of space, and them relighting the lanterns I put out. :)

• Petike the Taffer and montag like this
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#6 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1599 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:35 AM

Sotha's map? I'm going in :D

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#7 V-Man339

V-Man339

Perfectionist Taffer

• PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:29 AM

Easier? Going the no-KO route, the mission was quite on the hard side with three patrolling AI in a limited amount of space, and them relighting the lanterns I put out. :)

Just heard it was short, quite happy to hear this.

Waiting on a mission listing at the moment.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

#8 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:31 AM

I disagree with the easier comment - playing on the no KO route and with settings hardcore/hardcore it isn't easy at all unless you know where the book is hidden - I spent ages looking for a readable giving a hint and in the end to my embarrassment I had to watch the playthrough

Edited by Oldjim, 10 March 2017 - 10:31 AM.

#9 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5915 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

Here's my YouTube walkthrough of it:

Is there a reason your video has an intro of over 1 minute?

What's the point of showing the dark mod logo for over 45 seconds?

In case anybody else is wondering, video actually starts at 1:11

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

#10 Cambridge Spy

Cambridge Spy

• PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:18 AM

Is there a reason your video has an intro of over 1 minute?

What's the point of showing the dark mod logo for over 45 seconds?

In case anybody else is wondering, video actually starts at 1:11

Because I wanted to give the atmosphere of a TV program. Also, I felt that the best time to cut the music was at the moment when it's about to play the piano tune.

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

#11 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2197 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:47 PM

Thank you for your mission Sotha, it's a great little mission. And coupled with your video tutorials should help newcomers to understand how to follow a release from start to finish.

Also, I chuckled at the Lord Edgar reference :D

The Accountant Series
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Lord Edgar Trilogy
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse

Stand Alone Missions
Spring Cleaning

#12 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11988 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:17 PM

Very nice little mission.

Spoiler

#13 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2197 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:25 PM

Very nice little mission.

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Tarhiel likes this

The Accountant Series
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Lord Edgar Trilogy
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse

Stand Alone Missions
Spring Cleaning

#14 V-Man339

V-Man339

Perfectionist Taffer

• PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:53 PM

Is the mission listed yet?

#15 Destined

Destined

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1296 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:10 AM

I liked the mission very much, although

Spoiler

One thing, you can consider to add: At the beginning you can see a window, from which light pours out into the starting area. This window appears to be lit by the lamp behind it inside. However, it remains lit, when this lamp is doused with a water arrow. So, it would be a bit more realistic, if you would change the skin of the window (and maybe also turn off the light in the yard), when the lamp inside goes out. If I remember corectly the former can be achieved easily with a target from the lamp to the window to change the skin from "lit" to "unlit".

#16 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5600 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:21 AM

Thanks for playing & glad you liked it!

Never though about the lit window. Sure, the window light could be switched off and the window texture could be swapped from lit to dark (cannot use skins because it is not a model, but it is doable by hiding and showing different wall modules)...

But c'mon! That is a lot of work, which will be noticed by only a small amount of unusually observant players. Also, it might become an implementation hell, because what if the AI relights the light behind the window pushing the entire setup out-of-sync.

Too many eventualities should be taken into consideration.
Clipper

#17 Destined

Destined

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1296 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:06 AM

I did not know, that the window was no model. This definitely complicates things... As I said, I think I read somewhere that you can link lights to windows, so they have the same lit/unlit behaviour (although I cannot find where right now, most likely in one the hundreds of pages of Newbie Questions), which would have been easy to implement. If this is not possible, I agree, it is most likely not worth the effort.

#18 V-Man339

V-Man339

Perfectionist Taffer

• PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:03 PM

Is this going to be added to the mission list?

#19 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5300 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:21 AM

As I said, I think I read somewhere that you can link lights to windows, so they have the same lit/unlit behaviour (although I cannot find where right now, most likely in one the hundreds of pages of Newbie Questions), which would have been easy to implement.

Forgot to upload a video about this. :( Yeah, it is doable with skins and the slight alteration of the tdm_light_holder script I've done for 2.03 or 2.04 (can't remember, but switching window skins was the main purpose of it). As for the model: You can export what you have with the DR ASE exporter and a skin is written in one or two minutes, so it isn't really a huge effort. However, it might only be worth it if one is using this quiet often in a map. For one window it might really be a bit over the top. :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#20 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18894 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:28 PM

added to in-game downloader, update the OP.

Can someone grab me some 800*600 screenshots please.

#21 montag

montag

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:16 PM

This is a great little mission! Going for a 0 stealth score and full loot,(as I always do) I was really challenged by it. I ended up with all loot, but stealth score of 3, so I'll be replaying it soon.

Spoiler
Nicely done, Sotha! IMHO, it's tiny missions like this that really show off a mission authors' skill. I imagine you thinking about how to leave just the perfect gaps in the AI patrol patterns, so that we players can just slip through by the skin of our teeth. Now off to watch your vids of how you did it!

#22 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5600 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for playing & glad it brought you joy.

I imagine you thinking about how to leave just the perfect gaps in the AI patrol patterns, so that we players can just slip through by the skin of our teeth. Now off to watch your vids of how you did it!

Hehe.. As you will find out from the video series: I gave the AI the choice how to do the patrol patterns. I just gave them a few RIT nodes and the AI are actually choosing between them at random. :laugh:

• montag likes this
Clipper

#23 montag

montag

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:46 PM

Those videos are so engrossing! I found myself watching them until 3:00am last night. I came away with even more respect for you and all the mappers, and also a realization of just how much work has gone into the editor by a bunch of unsung heroes. The randomization of AI pathways was fascinating, I always knew that it existed, but I had never really though about how it worked.(Hehe, as if I really understand it) Thanks so much for taking the time to make them!

p.s. replayed Bakery again, stealth score 7, so I will be re-replaying till I get that magic 0!

EDIT#2 finally got 0 stealth score! I used 3 waterarrows, and laid over all the candles, but I rarely try for a perfect ghost.

Edited by montag, 20 March 2017 - 03:35 PM.

• Sotha and Dyger like this

#24 V-Man339

V-Man339

Perfectionist Taffer

• PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:46 AM

As someone with celiac this was cathartic.

Love the level, a nice showcase in minimalism.

Deceptively difficult to ghost, but short.

Edited by V-Man339, 22 March 2017 - 04:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users