Photo

how about redesign tdm's mainmenu

66 replies to this topic

#51 freyk

freyk

• PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:22 AM

For that they have to include a modified "mainmenu_background.gui" and multiple backgrounds in their fmpack.
In the backbackground gui they have to change in windowdef "MainMenuBackgroundFigureAnimation" the transition to something like this and they are done:
onTime 10000 {
transition "MainMenuBackground::background" "" "mycoolbackground1" BACKGROUND_FIGURE_INTERVAL ;
}
onTime 20000 {
transition "MainMenuBackground::background" "mycoolbackground1" "mycoolbackground2" BACKGROUND_FIGURE_INTERVAL ;
}
If someone need a help with this, they can pm me.

But a live background would be neat feature.
So if a mapper and scripter would like to help.
For starters add a autoexec.cfg to the fm-pack and the line
map mymission
And then, i dont know yet.

Edited by freyk, 23 March 2017 - 10:48 AM.

#52 Epifire

Epifire

• Active Developer
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:15 AM

Alright I think we're getting somewhere. So this begs the question what happens when we hit escape during a mission load? Would we insert the regular menu, or maybe have the active player preview blurred into the background of the menu elements? The latter totally being an HL2 trait, but having the option would be cool. I think the code/scripting elements would be comprised in the same method. You'd just be targeting the actual player position when a mission is loaded. Whereas when just the main menu is loaded on startup it could run through one or more entity plotted positions in your startup map. 

I know I most certainly would use this in my own work if I had the option to do so.

You need a model? Epi does you a model.

Toss me a PM I promise I don't bite.

#53 freyk

freyk

• PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:48 AM

So Lets try to create something!
Lets do the HL2 trait.

Create a map for the livebackground, for the test only 1 room.
and in this map, configure the playerstart so it is only using the camera-viewmode (like the intro of d3)
And try to open a gui from there, a modified mainmenu_main_ingame.gui (and or mainmenu_main.gui).
(by modifying the gui files. I mean just disable the background option of a window def)

Hitting the escape button, during the mission load screen, nothing will happen.
But when you hit that button in the mission, the ingame mainmenu (mainmenu_main_ingame.gui) will appear.

Edited by freyk, 24 March 2017 - 08:52 AM.

• Epifire likes this

#54 freyk

freyk

• PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:03 AM

A camera howto] on the wiki

modified mainmenu_background.gui

Spoiler

Edited by freyk, 26 March 2017 - 02:49 PM.

#55 freyk

freyk

• PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:28 AM

And here you find a manual howto create a background map for HL2.

For example, in the spoiler you will find some live backgrounds from hl2 and blackmesa.
Spoiler

Edited by freyk, 28 March 2017 - 03:57 AM.

• Epifire likes this

#56 freyk

freyk

• PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:22 AM

And for wolfenstein 2009 mainmenu
(using the same engine as TDM)

Spoiler

#57 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:19 AM

No, that's no good at all. This is a medieval game, not a sci fi game, and that menu you've made is just that; Sci Fi. I also like it how it is. The house on the main menu

always inspires me. lol. Something about it makes me to want to make a map. lol

Speaking of this, what is the end mission image name and what file is it stored it? I'd like to change it in my mission to credit those who

helped.

Edited by NeonsStyle, 02 May 2017 - 04:21 AM.

I have a small YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedar...2017-update-16/

#58 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:24 PM

credits.txt looks like the place where you'd put names, or darkmod.txt - but that box fills up quick and I've seen a few that spill out of the container.

If you're looking to put something at the end of the mission like that, you can make an outro debriefing as here:

http://wiki.thedarkm...ng_up_Campaigns

It appears that TDM's success screen (the one you are talking about) is the same as every other GUI the game uses... the backgrounds and where and when things are is set in a file that serves as the end of mission GUI.

But - mainmenu_success.gui has big words saying "don't fuck with this as it's part of TDM's main menu GUI, don't include or override this file in your mission ever, love TDM" at the top.

The text displayed on the background images is defined by MM_POS_SUCCESS_TITLE and the text is called as a "#str"[ing] which will be hidden someplace else... similar to how the readables are supposed to be written for easy translation, rather than in text - i can't be arsed to find it because:

Since it is warned not to mess with the success screen, idk if there would be a way to set the SuccessScreenBackground in any other way.

Maybe it would be possible to write your own windowdef and place it below the statistics list, but idk how you would include it...

It seems that it would be a far easier solution to simply go with a short video debriefing that shows the credits or - even easier - edit darkmod.txt and credits.txt so that the people are credited on the main menu in the mission info box and in the credits.txt...

If it is not satisfactory to give credit in the mission info and credits.txt, then you could edit mainmenu_custom_defs.gui to include something like:

#undef MM_MISSION_SUCCESS_SOUND_CMD
#define MM_MISSION_SUCCESS_SOUND_CMD "music suckmyballs.wav;"

For the success GUI, however, the only things we can change are:

Spoiler

and since none of that is commented, which is something that both Greebo and Grayman appear to do well, it looks like FM authors aren't meant to play with it that much...

I'd just use credits.txt and darkmod.txt and follow this convention: http://wiki.thedarkm...tion_.28I18N.29
(or make a kick-ass video)

#59 freyk

freyk

• PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:28 AM

No, that's no good at all. This is a medieval game, not a sci fi game, and that menu you've made is just that; Sci Fi. I also like it how it is.
The house on the main menu
always inspires me. lol. Something about it makes me to want to make a map. lol

The wolfenstein youtuberecording was just for showing example for live background in idtech 4.
(And for others and me, to look for code how they made this).
I would love to see a livebackground in TDM FM.
So please create just a simple room and put an camerascript in it.

And for the redesign menu subject, i dont want to redesign the whole menu.
Only want to have livebackground option for a fm. And a option to replacing objects.

#60 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:28 PM

All I'd need for a final screen is an ability to change the image. I just don't know what the end mission screen image is.

I have a small YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedar...2017-update-16/

#61 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:24 PM

The end mission screen background, as defined by:

Spoiler

The file starts commented like this:

/* =============================================================================================
 * End-Of-Mission GUI. This file is part of The Dark Mod's Main Menu GUI
 * Mission Authors: DO NOT EDIT, INCLUDE OR OVERRIDE THIS FILE IN YOUR MISSION PK4.
 * ============================================================================================= */

Which, unless I'M NOT READING THOSE CAPS RIGHT means:
"Please mappers, don't mess with this 'cos it's part of TDM's main menu GUI dependency which we all need to play the game".

Is not mapper powah 2 chng img cos brokes game 4 ppls thn dey haf2reinstul cos brokes.

These mainmenu.gui files are not included in an FM, but are part of the base game itself and - as mappers - we can only alter a limited set of definitions for the main menu GUI (the background image being part of this):

Spoiler

There does not appear to be any way to substitute the background image for mission success/fail.

There is a way to insert something between the end of mission and the mission success screen, following the link for debriefing video that I provided.

There are no definitions for anything other than debriefing video or debriefing music included in mainmenu_defs.gui (incl. in base game - no touchy), which would be #undef #def in the mainmenu_custom_defs.gui (included in your FM - yes touchy).

If there's a way to set the image to be something else - not yet discovered how to do so (but I like videos, so, idk if I'll bother looking that deep).

YW 4 dis & .ogg breefin ishu.

#62 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:28 PM

Srs man - just use moviemaker to make a video that contains the stills you want to display and set up a video debrief, encoding it using the tools I linked in my reply to your question regarding why you couldn't get the .ogg file to play, insert it by following the simple instructions that were also linked in the same reply.

// oh but don't forget - the video is only the image - any sound, you need to set the music and stuff.

// unless you want to write your own gui file and all the windowdefs and stuff, for inclusion in the main game, that would allow an FM's mainmenu custom to set this background.

But what do I know..?
Maybe these guys can help if no-one here can (id tech4 area): http://idtechforums.fuzzylogicinc.com/

(just don't expect a warm welcome and a likely signpost back here).

Edited by teh_saccade, 04 May 2017 - 03:44 PM.

#63 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5300 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:55 PM

Which, unless I'M NOT READING THOSE CAPS RIGHT means:
"Please mappers, don't mess with this 'cos it's part of TDM's main menu GUI dependency which we all need to play the game".

It actually means that you should only mess with it if you know what you are doing, that there is no warranty if you break anything and that you should be testing it very carefully before release. I've modified a lot of such files containing that warning and hey, I'm still here. :)

• teh_saccade likes this
FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#64 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:46 PM

I'm leaning towards, "if you gotta ask, then you don't know", Obsttorte :P

// and idk jack and it says, "guru" in your title, so... you know...

Edited by teh_saccade, 06 May 2017 - 03:48 PM.

• Obsttorte likes this

#65 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5300 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:16 PM

ROFL

Nope. Just play around with it and if it should break your installment, you can always delete it. But I fairly doubt this will happen. Those files are not nearly as sensitive as the warning implies.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#66 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 05:13 PM

Let me finish a basic campaign before getting me to start messing with stuff like this, Obsttorte! I've only spent a short time on DR and stuff, really, compared to the rest of the people here :P

(also - I already messed with them and had to rename the backups a few times so far...)

// Also, your name always reminds me of chocolinastorta, which is one of the best cakes in the world.

#67 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:09 PM

It does look as if it might be possible to simply change the success screen background without having to write the whole gui again..:

Make a file/folder "darkmod/guis/map/yourlevelname.gui" (which you might already have for custom loading screen) and insert:

onNamedEvent SuccessScreenBackground

{
    set "background" "pathto/yourbackground.tga"
}

Maybe it will work, tga format, same size and stuff as the loading screen, else it's a case of copy-pasta the whole mission_success.gui windowdefs (the whole lot) into the file to change that value.

Maybe it won't work - idk. (idc).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users