#1 brethren

brethren

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:13 AM

POPULAR

The theme for this contest is “Lost Places.”  

The idea is to create a mission that takes place away from the civilized areas of the world.  The setting should involve something remote and abandoned, typically run down and deteriorating, and not easily accessible.  Places where the original inhabitants are long gone (but others may have taken their place).  Examples might include:

• Ancient temples

• Exotic ruins

• Lost cities

• Deserted castles

• Abandoned factories/warehouses

• Neglected tombs/crypts

• Vacated villages

And so on!

Time Period:  Today (April 4th) to August 31st (about 5 months)

Open to:  All variants of Thief.  This includes Thief 1, Thief Gold, Thief 2, Thief Deadly Shadows, and The Dark Mod.

Voting:  We’ll decide on voting closer to the deadline, but I’m sure it will be similar to what’s been done in the past, with a poll on TTLG.

Restrictions:  There are no restrictions on size or use of custom content.

If possible, send me a PM and let me know if you intend to enter the contest.  When done, send me a link to your mission and I will host it on Southquarter.

Good luck to all!

Edit:  Late addition to the rules - you are allowed to build your mission off of work done prior to the start of the contest.  This would likely be in the form of an old/abandoned mission that was never finished.  You cannot however use any completed missions (such as an OM or FM) as a base.

Edited by brethren, 19 April 2017 - 11:19 AM.

• Bikerdude, STiFU, Melan and 12 others like this

#2 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11787 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:19 PM

I'll have to think about this. I'd love to participate, but I'm currently juggling 3 TDM WIPs as it is.

If I can come up with an interesting mission, I'll see what I can do to make room.

Thanks for doing this, brethren. It should be fun for those who participate, and fun for everyone to have a new batch of missions to play.

• Anderson likes this

#3 stumpy

stumpy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1656 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:59 PM

am already working on 2 lost places maps, have been for 6 years on and off, a lot of off though, if I finish them during the competition, I don't want them included in the contest, probably wont finish them though. Ones set 5 years before 'Lord Dufford' and the other one set a few days after 'Lord Dufford' although they are connected to each other in some obscure way they aren't connected to 'Lord Dufford'.

• Anderson likes this

#4 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:21 PM

I'm up for this - I've a story written for something already and it would be a nice break from the detailed tudor architecture to do some landscaping and meshwork instead of pissing around with brushes and zfighting and entity limits.

#5 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:24 PM

oh... i'm going on a wild-camping trek along the coast for a few months that will take from late april-august...

Idk if it would be completed in time, but it is a story in the thief world that I have wanted to tell for a year more using TDM, 'cept they don't have the skins for pagans and what-not.

Make do, I reckon.

// Apologies... I ought to have edited this into my last post, I know...

Edited by teh_saccade, 09 April 2017 - 06:25 PM.

#6 gnartsch

gnartsch

• PipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:07 AM

It might be worth adding a link to the original thread on ttlg, just to keep everyone in sync.

Announcements: Lost Places Contest (ttlg)

Oh, and there was an addition to the rules, as seen in the OP:

Edit: Late addition to the rules - you are allowed to build your mission off of work done prior to the start of the contest. This would likely be in the form of an old/abandoned mission that was never finished. You cannot however use any completed missions (such as an OM or FM) as a base.

#7 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:07 AM

Love competitions but I just started a new map and I'm really inspired by the idea. :) 

I have a small YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

#8 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5587 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:20 AM

Love competitions but I just started a new map and I'm really inspired by the idea. :)

Me too!

I'm gonna do just something small for this contest. Dunno if I'm gonna finish in time, though.

Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#9 ERH+

ERH+

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:02 PM

Edit: Late addition to the rules - you are allowed to build your mission off of work done prior to the start of the contest. This would likely be in the form of an old/abandoned mission that was never finished. You cannot however use any completed missions (such as an OM or FM) as a base.

So if my mission was in early testing (playable but asking for suggestions for further changes and direction) about last Halloween does it count as finished or not?

Edited by ERH+, 17 April 2017 - 05:08 PM.

S2wtMNl.gif

#10 brethren

brethren

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:18 AM

Yeah, I don't really know where to draw the line on this stuff tbh, but if your mission was basically finished and was/is going to be released anyway, I tend to think that's not really in the spirit of the contest.  We want the playing field to be relatively even for all participants, and most people will be starting from scrach.  So I guess I'd have to say no to this one.

• ERH+ likes this

#11 brethren

brethren

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:23 PM

Just checking in here, we're down to the last month.  Does anyone know, are there any TDM misisons potentially being created for this contest?   I heard from one person, way back when I announced the contest, but no one since.

#12 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5587 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:49 PM

Not from me. I had a cool start, but then ran out of steam and time. :angry:

Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users