Thief 5 Wishlist

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Kurshok

Kurshok

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:17 PM

What do you want to see in a new Thief game that could make it better than Thief 2014?

#2 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1242 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:54 PM

Jumping enabled everywhere. All millennial devs have to get a screening to see if they want to "consolidate" everything.

#3 stumpy

stumpy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:01 PM

not made by the team or company that made thief 4.

• chakkman, MoroseTroll, teh_saccade and 1 other like this

#4 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5600 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:45 PM

Not made to a triple-A title: let some indie dev make it. Someone good with new ideas.
  • Melan, nbohr1more and MoroseTroll like this
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#5 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5226 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:25 AM

I'm more excited about seeing the script for the campaign I wrote for TDM made than Thief 5.

If I could recruit a team to make that, that's what I'd like to see above all and would serve as the best substitute to any Thief 5 we can probably expect from SE.

• teh_saccade likes this
Posted Image

#6 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4388 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:47 AM

Let it rest in peace and dignity.

Spoiler

• Judith, chakkman, MoroseTroll and 1 other like this
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#7 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:35 AM

I'd rather like to see Obsidian make Alpha Protocol 2 than any SE developer try again with Thief.

#8 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:50 AM

Did I miss something? They're making a new game?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#9 Kurshok

Kurshok

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:13 PM

Not that I know if. I just want to compile what we would like to see in a hypothetical new Thief game.

#10 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:11 PM

We have The Dark Mod.

• esme likes this

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#11 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1545 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:24 AM

https://www.polygon....uel-thief-movie

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#12 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5247 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:30 AM

Not made to a triple-A title: let some indie dev make it. Someone good with new ideas.

Indies don't neccessarely make good games. But I agree that it should be a production with limited resources, aimed at a more specific audience, instead of an AAA production that has to please everyone to make profit. And they should include a level editor. I doubt anyone would know of thief nowadays if there hasn't been DromEd.

• CarltonTroisi likes this
FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#13 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1545 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:34 AM

The real problem is to make a GAME and not a PATCH-GAME. Thief 2014 is a patch of a patch of a patch of an old project.....it's why it feels an empty (beautiful) SHELL.

It's a good (but wrongly partitioned) city layout + stupid quests with a BAD narrative.

Edited by lowenz, 12 May 2017 - 07:38 AM.

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#14 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1545 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:36 AM

Nevertheless 2014 Basso is a good character :D

Edited by lowenz, 12 May 2017 - 07:37 AM.

#15 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:54 AM

Wish for thief 5?

That is was thief 4 and called called something other than corridor-thi4f / dishonored clone, but there's no changing that now...

All I know is - considering it's square enix (lord of all things square), probably montréal - it's bottom of my to-pirate list.

Hitman went from being a great game to being... what it is.
Batman is more of the same, but more complicated and with more stuff and I don't have time for all the stuff. Same for Assassin's Creed.
Deus Ex went from awesome to kinda ok to pretty square enix (all things square) decent to I'd rather play Lara Croft now, thanks.
Farcry peaked at 2 for a stealth game and went kinda downhill as consoles became focus - less stealth, more action.
Splinter Cell... that got decent until post-Playstation2. The rest of the franchise was more action focus.

MGS became a long, complicated movie and no-one noticed I hacked my way into the top 50 of the leaderboards until I told them.

Actually - Maybe if they got Clint Hocking (farcry / splinter cell) involved and didn't turn it into a dishonored / deus ex / square clone II, flavour: thief and allowed total level freedom with Mirror's Edge-like movement...

Nah.

Garrett died at the end of T3.

It's about money.

Stealing is liberation of sorts. Modern games don't often offer this in the same way, along with the narrative, the environment, the lore, the aesthetic, the immersion...

The only thieves involved with T5 will likely be the corporations.

Fkn franchises...

Hopefully this is all movie buzz and not real.

#16 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1545 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

New Garrett is OK (big brother role), it's the game structure that is detrimental.

Edited by lowenz, 12 May 2017 - 10:26 AM.

#17 CarltonTroisi

CarltonTroisi

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

Stealing is liberation of sorts. Modern games don't often offer this in the same way, along with the narrative, the environment, the lore, the aesthetic, the immersion...

The only thieves involved with T5 will likely be the corporations.

Fkn franchises...

Hopefully this is all movie buzz and not real.

Nah man, I want dat Thie5...  

#18 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1242 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:48 PM

Octocore TDM

#19 tefdal

tefdal

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:39 AM

In case you missed it, this doesn't look like it's happening:

Thief studio boss mocks report of series revival (eurogamer)

#20 Kurshok

Kurshok

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:13 AM

That fucking shithead. If he could have learned from the mistakes of the 2014 Thief game, that would have been forgivable. But the cocksucker has the gall to be a smug prick about no sequel, despite fans of the series excitement. Fucking cunt.

#21 Kurshok

Kurshok

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:17 AM

And don't get me wrong, the 2014 Thief game was good, even if it was crap in comparison to the original series. But to take a crap on a series that kickstarted the stealth genre, was well-loved in its heyday, and make fun of an honest mistake by the guys making a movie out of your own company's game? The fact that the bastard abruptly cancelled Hitman, their current best sEllington series, makes me suspicious. What if he's planning on running the company into the dirt, then taking the insurance money and running?

#22 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1242 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:20 AM

That fucking shithead. If he could have learned from the mistakes of the 2014 Thief game, that would have been forgivable. But the cocksucker has the gall to be a smug prick about no sequel, despite fans of the series excitement. Fucking cunt.

Don't cut yourself with that edge.

• teh_saccade likes this

#23 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:27 AM

This kind of response and the direction of this thread is why I wish there will not be a thief 5.

#24 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:31 AM

Sorry, what I meant to say was:

"sed octrocore TDM fuckng cunt thread wishing dat T5 suks cok suka"

The higher in number of the franchise, the more vehement the response that comes - at an IQ similar to the number of said franchise.

#25 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:36 AM

oh look, my 405th post

Attached File  Erjb0.png   128.19KB   0 downloads

Attached File  error_405_1.jpg   11.01KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users