The Dark Mod Forums

What version is less demading?

Jetrell

I have an older backup computer that can't really play games anymore (at least it can't play modern games). I also have an older version of The Dark Mod which was released before it was made into a stand alone game. I also have lots of old FMs that will work on this old version of The Dark Mod.

I'm wondering, with my old computer in mind, what version of The Dark Mod would be less demanding on my meager computer?

Computer specs:

Windows Vista 32-bit

Intel Core2 Duo CPU 3.00GHz

4.0GB RAM

ATI FirePro 2260

It doesnt matter which version of TDM you use.

Its all in the settings.

Please read wiki article: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=FAQ#Performance_Issues

@admin: move topic to techsupport.

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

newer version include also system resource bugfixes. (Compared with 2.0 on moddb)

(See the changelog: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Category:What%27s_New )

Just stick with the latest stable version.

try to change the settings and

set performance tweaks: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Performance_Tweaks

(Or upgrade the system)

Because it is not easy to find \ download an old standalone and seperate updates.

And these are bugs and it is possible that some of the latest fms dont run on an old version.

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Thanks but upgrading my old system is not an option.

I already have lots of the old fms for the old version so that's not a problem. And as for bugs, my old version worked just fine without any problems.

What I really want to know is what version, the old Doom mod, or the new stand alone version draws more system resources. That's really the question in its entirety.

What I really want to know is what version, the old Doom mod, or the new stand alone version draws more system resources. That's really the question in its entirety.

1. The old version is severely outdated. Severely!!! There have been massive improvements to the Mod since then. Some FM's may appear to work, but I can guarantee you that they are not going to play in the manner intended by the author, as the AI, sound, and many other systems have been seriously overhauled. There will also be resources like 'audio, textures, models, etc...' that will only be available in the latest version.

2. The latest stand alone version has also had many, many performance optimizations to improve loading times, and frame rates.

Simple answer, please use the latest version..it is the most optimized and up to date version. Being an older system, well...you're mileage is going to vary in terms of performance as many newer FM's truly push the limits in terms of size and draw distances.

Settings can definitely help. Sorry to harp on this again but 'please' do not play the old version. If you were to have issues completing an FM, there is no way for us to provide any support since you would be on an outdated build.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

TDM 2.05 (latest) has several changes tailored towards older systems.

1) The Lightgem only calculates a fraction of the scene geometry

2) The Lightgem uses PBO to reduce memory bus usage

3) image_downsize options no longer make menus and maps blurry

4) It is compiled with Windows XP compiler flags to ensure that mission loading stays within XP memory limits (in most cases)

5) lod_bias works for particle emitters

Before 2.05, if you are still interested in older builds or want to play missions that were never converted to Standalone,

TDM 1.07 is the most optimized version. (stgatilov did some magic in this version, he's been back to help with v2.06 recently....)

Obviously, newer versions of missions won't play on 1.07 but there are older missions at moddb:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/addons

(2012 and older)

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I completely understand that the old version is severely outdated. I also understand best practices. And I also understand that the old version is no longer supported etc... etc... etc...

My question is simple, which version is more resource intensive?

Apparently I'm rather thick in the head because, no I'm still unsure which version uses more resources.

I understand that I can make changes in the settings which will help my old computer tackle the game but that's also true with the older version. So with all things being equal, surely one version is more resource intensive versus the other version. Which is it? That's all I'm asking.

I only have the older version so I can't compare the two versions.

• Like 1

Why not just download the new version into a separate folder and do some tests yourself?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I completely understand that the old version is severely outdated. I also understand best practices. And I also understand that the old version is no longer supported etc... etc... etc...

My question is simple, which version is more resource intensive?

OK, you're in luck.

While this might not be fully definitive, I have just tested v2.05 verses v1.07

1380x768, 8xAF, Enhanced Ambient and Interaction, Medium Detail LOD, Post Process Enabled

Map = Animated Grass demo (lots of alpha test materials, AI, decent draw distance, complex terrain)

v1.07 59 to 71FPS

v2.05 75 to 86FPS (winner)

(Also, the AI looks much better in the 2.05 edition.)

When I tested v2.04 vs 2.05 I saw more dramatic gains in various maps but there aren't many maps

that are exactly the same between v1.07 and v2.05.

I suspect you'd see larger jumps in maps with more shadows if there were equivalent maps.

• Like 3

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

OK, you're in luck.

While this might not be fully definitive, I have just tested v2.05 verses v1.07

1380x768, 8xAF, Enhanced Ambient and Interaction, Medium Detail LOD, Post Process Enabled

Map = Animated Grass demo (lots of alpha test materials, AI, decent draw distance, complex terrain)

v1.07 59 to 71FPS

v2.05 75 to 86FPS (winner)

(Also, the AI looks much better in the 2.05 edition.)

When I tested v2.04 vs 2.05 I saw more dramatic gains in various maps but there aren't many maps

that are exactly the same between v1.07 and v2.05.

I suspect you'd see larger jumps in maps with more shadows if there were equivalent maps.

Thank you for taking the time to resolve this question. I appreciate it very much. I assumed that this question would have been answered a long time ago so I'm a little surprised to learn that I'm the first to ask this question.

I think to some degree too, what everyone here is saying is that it isn't so much the version of TDM you are using, but the FM that you are playing. Some newer FMs are very demanding on any system. Other, older missions can be played with a fairly old computer (like yours). So it's more about the map than the mod.

Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. There's a huge difference on whether you're playing Rats Triumphant or The Outpost.

• Like 2

Both factors play a role. Newer missions tend to have more detailed geometry and a more generous object count. However, as nbohr1more's post has also shown, there has been a gradual performance improvement over the various TDM versions, thanks to a series of fixes.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Thank you for taking the time to resolve this question. I appreciate it very much. I assumed that this question would have been answered a long time ago so I'm a little surprised to learn that I'm the first to ask this question.

But I answered your question several posts up.

The latest stand alone version has also had many, many performance optimizations to improve loading times, and frame rates.

Simple answer, please use the latest version..it is the most optimized and up to date version. Being an older system, well...you're mileage is going to vary in terms of performance as many newer FM's truly push the limits in terms of size and draw distances.

The game engine optimizations contribute to higher framerates and shorter loading times. Performance improving optimizations = less resource intensive game engine. :( As I and others have pointed out though, individual missions will vary based on their size and complexity.

The performance improvements are generally outlined in our update announcements.