The Dark Mod Forums

Problem with Layer Window

Destined

Hi all,

I have a problem with my layer window. I accidentally gave a new layer the same name as an older layer and now there is a visibility tick box at the top of my layer window that I can't get rid of. It looks like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezs4famcmyqz9wy/Layers.bmp?dl=0

Any suggestions as to what I could do? The problem appears only, when I open this map, others are not affected.

What does the "Layers" section of your <mymissionname>.darkradiant file look like?

In a text editor, mine looks like this:

Layers
{
Layer 0 { Default }
Layer 1 { Floor2 }
Layer 2 { GuardFloor1 }
Layer 3 { GuardFloor2 }
Layer 4 { PathPascual }
Layer 5 { PathWilliam }
Layer 6 { PathRoger }
Layer 7 { PlayerStart }
Layer 8 { Cellar }
Layer 9 { GuardRoof }
Layer 10 { GuardCellar }
Layer 11 { Wall }
Layer 12 { Ground }
Layer 13 { Sky }
Layer 14 { Roof }
Layer 15 { WindowSnow }
Layer 16 { PathAxel }
Layer 17 { Floor1 }
Layer 20 { Chapel }
Layer 21 { DiningTable }
Layer 22 { PathZack }
Layer 23 { Greenhouse }
Layer 24 { CarriageHouse }
Layer 25 { CarriageHouseRoof }
}
Something might be corrupted in yours.

I don't think it's a corrupt file, just a DR bug, since I too ran into this exact problem about a week or two ago. I believe I was able to make it go away by renaming the redundant layer to something different (some closing of windows/restarting of DR might be needed afterwards), but I'd have to go back and do some more testing to confirm this.

I had to use the darkradiant-file way. AS you may see in the screenshot, I was not able to select the second instance of the layer, just turn it visible or invisible. In the darkradiant-file I found two Layers (10 and 11) with the same name and renamed one of them. With that I could easily determine in DR, which one was redundant and delete it.

Thanks for the help!

Alright, so I played around with it a little bit and found that normally, DR doesn't let you create new layers with the same name as a preexisting layer:

LVrdRsx.jpg

However, it looks like when you try to rename already-existing layers with the same name as other existing layers, that failsafe isn't present and the window freaks out, with that weird floating button being the result:

pwXBJKY.jpg

After playing around with it, I found that if you know which layer you had double of, you could find the new duplicate layer (let's call that Layer 2 named "Balcony"), rename it to something new, and the original layer (Layer 1 also named "Balcony") will then appear again. The problem is that the floating button appears to be permanent after that, and I have no idea how I fixed it the first time, but it wasn't with a text editor (though that method certainly is good to know!).

At least I think this is what's going on, but someone else testing to confirm whether I'm correct might be a good idea.

Is there a bugtracker for this issue, or should a new one be created? I can try doing it if you folks would like?

Edited by Aosys

The problem happened for me, when renaming one layer, so I can confirm that this was the reason for the error.

After correcting the name, have you tried to restart DR? If I understand correctly how this works, the layers are stored in the darkradiant-file and the doubly named layers lead to the floeating button. Before renaming them in the text editor, I closed DR (as I was not sure, if the darkradiant file is constantly used by DR, which would not have let me save it) and when I restarted it, the floating button was gone, so I assume that upon restarting DR (or rather reloading the darkradiant file), the erratic button is gone, if the file is not corrupted.

Installing the same failsafe as for creating new layers sounds reasonable. I have never had to file a bugtracker, yet, so I have no idea how to do it. If you would do it, it would be great.