The Dark Mod Forums

Origins

Kurshok

So, folks, how did you first learn about Thief: The Dark Project, and when? I first learned about it back around 2001 (I'm 22) as a young boy scouring Wikipedia. I had been looking up information on fantasy, as I had seen the old animaged "Lord of the Rings" movie, and that got me into fantasy. On that rainy afternoon at Mt grandparents' house, I first learned about Dungeons and Dragons, Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40,000, and, last but not least, the game "Thief: The Dark Project". I forgot the game ever existed after a while, due to not having a PC, and didn't even realize Thief 2014 was based on it until I looked up information on Thief 2014 online. When I read "The Dark Project", I felt a niggling little scritching in my brain, like a memory trying to crawl out of my cortex. Then when I searched up The Dark Project, it hit me like a ton of bricks: I had actually known about this year's before!

Pirated copy of the trilogy in 2005-2006.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I think my brother once told me about it. Wasn't too much into medieval settings back then, so i passed on it. Big mistake, as i found out, when i bought a copy of Thief Dark Project in 2002 or 2003, can't remember. :) Even though the graphics were already completely outdated back then, the atmosphere more than made up for it. Especially Break from Cragsleft Prison really gave me goose bumps. Still one of my favorite level in all the Thief games.

I played D&D as a teen and I loved any video game that gave me the feeling of being an adventurer on a mission. Fell in love with Ultima Underworld, and from that day on I kept an eye out for any first person game with a medieval fantasy vibe. Thief was the first game I found that had a similar feel.

I remember leaving a line-up for a club on New Year's eve to go home and Play T2 with a friend instead. Good times.

I think TDS was the first video game I was ever really excited for in advance. Our collective disappointment after its release was what spurred the creation of TDM.

Sometime around 2005 probably. I actually played Thief 2 before The Dark Project. I prefer Thief 2 since it has more of a stealth focus than the monsters/traps of the previous game (IMO). I remember revisiting Thief 2 after barely scratching the surface the first time around. I ended up joining TTLG in Feb. 2009, discovering the FM scene a bit earlier than that. Then TDM in Apr. 2010.

As good as Thief was, the fan missions took it to a completely different level. The big fancy missions and campaigns like CoSaS: Mission X, Lord Alan's Factory, and Dracula Reloaded impressed me the most.

Edited by jaxa

I had recently started playing Pen and Paper RPGs (to be more precise "Das Schwarze Auge" ("The Dark Eye" in English)), and was fascinated by thievery and magic (my first RPG character was supposed to be a magically enhanced thief), when a classmate told me about some new game with a medieval-ish setting. I tried it and loved it right from the start. So I was also very excited about the second part and, in contrast to many other people, I was not disappointed by TDS. At first, I was not sure what to think of it, but after a short while I grew to like it quite much. I even tried to start mapping for TDS (I never knew that there were mapping tools for the former parts, before coming here), but never really got anything done. Some time later I found TDM, when I was searching, if there was to be another Thief part. However, at that time, I had neither Doom 3 nor the money to buy it and thus, I forgot about TDM for a long time. It was only a couple of years ago that I found it again and joined the community.

..I first learned about Dungeons and Dragons, Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40,000, and, last but not least, the game "Thief: The Dark Project". I forgot the game ever existed after a while, due to not having a PC, and didn't even realize Thief 2014 was based on it until I looked up information on Thief 2014 online. When I read "The Dark Project", I felt a niggling little scritching in my brain, like a memory trying to crawl out of my cortex. Then when I searched up The Dark Project, it hit me like a ton of bricks: I had actually known about this year's before!

My good man, have you played the Thief games or the Dark Mod?

I think that would be an unusual thing to have someone who read about/likes the idea of the games, but never played them. ^_^

I think the first time i read about TDM was in a Gamestar article, which said that there was a beta or alpha in development. I was completely stoked on that, when i saw the video, where the manipulation of objects, and the candle in cage was demonstrated. I was like "Wow... awesome! They didn't only took on the setting, but even improved the original games in many ways.". I remember it took some time after that though for a playable version to be released.

• Like 1

As a kid, I borrowed Thief 1 from a friend, but played the game until the second mission.

(didnt reached the end of this mission, because of the "scary zombies and background sound").

Later i played Unrealtournament 1 mod "Thievery-UT",

then Thief 3 (where i filled my shorts, at the cradle :blush: )

and later again Thief 1 and 2.

I love the great atmosphere!!

What happened how i discovered TDM as a game, is another story.

(do you want that i post this?)

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

then Thief 3 (where i filled my shorts, at the cradle :blush: )

Oh yes, the cradle. I am not really into horror games (although I played a couple) and this mission reminded me yet again, why. I could only play it either by daylight or with another person in the room. Great atmospheric mission

The atmosphere in general was the reason that i played TDS 3 times through now (i think). The gameplay is anything but bad too IMO, but, as has been mentioned a lot of times, the levels, and in general, the architecture is a bit on the claustrophobic side, due to the technical limitations, of course.

What happened how i discovered TDM as a game, is another story.

(do you want that i post this?)

Yes! I'd be interested, for one.

For me, I stumbled upon TDM shortly after going through Thief 1, 2, and 3 for the first time (around 2014 or so?) The atmosphere of the original games is phenomenal, especially Thief 1... it was everything I had hoped it would be, and more (even though I got there really late!)

Anyway, so I was hoping to find more games similar to Thief when I stumbled across an article describing the best "freeware" games on the internet. I looked at it for a while, wondering if this fan project--like so many others--was incomplete or tricky to set up, etc (yes, I can be incredibly lazy that way.) I kept reading about it occasionally, and only finding positive reviews/comments, so I was eventually convinced to try. And of course, I've no regrets!

A friend recommended Thief 2 to me and I ended up getting it as a present. He said something along the lines of "I think this game will really suit you" but I I didn't think much of it at the time. It sat in the box for several months until we had an internet outage. I was hooked after the first mission :)

I actually didn't end up playing Thief 1 until much, much later.