The Thief Movie

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kurshok

Kurshok

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:39 PM

Does anybody know if the Thief movie is still going to be made, or did the blunder with thinking a new game based off the movie would be made result in Eidos Montreal saying "You're fired"? Does anybody know? I really want for there to at least still be a movie.

#2 V-Man339

V-Man339

Perfectionist Taffer

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:46 PM

If anyone is hyped for a videogame movie after the last 3 decades of them, I don't know what to tell them.

• CarltonTroisi likes this

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.
Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

#3 Kurshok

Kurshok

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:02 PM

Hey, the Tomb Raider movies were good. And I liked Ratchet and Clank.

#4 V-Man339

V-Man339

Perfectionist Taffer

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:49 PM

Hey, the Tomb Raider movies were good. And I liked Ratchet and Clank.

https://en.wikipedia..._on_video_games

I'm going to spare you the bulleted list (and debating those two movies) and just point out there is a really, really bad history with video game movies.

We got Hitman and Assassin's Creed in the last few years, just to remind us that yes, this would keep happening.

Even when these movies are good, they're never quite as good as their peers in the genre (I may get drunk and enjoy Mortal Kombat as a cheesy action movie from the 90's, but it isn't quite as great as the stand outs in the genre), so the bar is set for "I hope it's average" from the get go.

To boot, a Thief movie will most likely be based on elements from the new game. Hollywood sees no value in decade old video game IP's, so best case scenario we would want a fan film or indie movie, not a big budget flick.

Edited by V-Man339, 18 May 2017 - 04:50 PM.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

#5 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:10 PM

The only decent films based upon "video" (computer) games were silent hill and resident evil.

I like the comment: "this is a far cry from a decent movie"

But was probably the most true to game-plot movie I've seen.

// a lot of games I play these days kind of are movies... I used to play telltale games with others, never alone, because it was a family thing (kinda, mostly). Games are better than movies because I actually feel something and can be anything. Movies dictate a single reality. Games create multiverse.

Edited by teh_saccade, 18 May 2017 - 07:16 PM.

#6 Kurshok

Kurshok

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:19 PM

To be honest, Thief 4 wasn't that bad on its own. Only in comparison to the first 3 games was it stank

#7 V-Man339

V-Man339

Perfectionist Taffer

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:30 PM

The only decent films based upon "video" (computer) games were silent hill and resident evil.

I like the comment: "this is a far cry from a decent movie"

But was probably the most true to game-plot movie I've seen.

// a lot of games I play these days kind of are movies... I used to play telltale games with others, never alone, because it was a family thing (kinda, mostly). Games are better than movies because I actually feel something and can be anything. Movies dictate a single reality. Games create multiverse.

Far Cry's only real competition is Dead or Alive in terms of accuracy.

Also, again, I have to emphasize, SH isn't considered good by horror movie fans (plot holes and the b-plot with the husband eating time are common complains) and Resident Evil isn't bad for a drunk group viewing, it ends up being more akin to a pop song for teenagers you release every couple years.

Example of drunk group fun.

Like I said, the bar is set so low that these movies being passable is considered good for a video game movie.

To be honest, Thief 4 wasn't that bad on its own. Only in comparison to the first 3 games was it stank

Don't say that too loudly here.

Not going to talk about it here because we have an entire thread for that discussion.

Edited by V-Man339, 18 May 2017 - 10:31 PM.

#8 stumpy

stumpy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1639 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:52 PM

the people who wrote the script for the movie write over the top gross out gore-fest horror scripts, b-movies with extra blood and body parts, bashed-in brain splatting galore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users