The Dark Mod Forums

Smallpanels_industrial_mesh: lit textures & skins

Bikerdude

ScURcok.jpg

wypn2jt.jpg

@Springheel -

• The first shot remeinded me I have to create lit version of those windows on the left
  • Can I put in a request for shutter open/closed version of the large window modules as done in the second shot (and any of the other window modules that don't have them if you have the time)

The first shot remeinded me I have to create lit version of those windows on the left

Done, unlit/lit versions for -

• borderwall1,
  • greytrim
  • grey.

The only small issue we have is that the model 'ext_stone03_window01' uses 'textures/darkmod/window/smallpanels_industrial_mesh_dimlit' be default.

• If we follow normal tdm naming & texture convention 'smallpanels_industrial_mesh_dimlit' would be partially lit as part of the image. I have created a proper partially illuminated/lit version of that texture, but that means the model with no skin has a dimlit instead of unlit window.
  • Normally all window models follow the rule, base model has 'unlit' window and then we create a texture and skin for 'lit' and 'self lit'.

So could I make a request that the model be changed to use 'textures/darkmod/window/smallpanels_industrial_mesh' by default instead of 'textures/darkmod/window/smallpanels_industrial_mesh_dimlit' please?

I can tweak the skins afterwards to suit as per below.

post-496-0-39121800-1496352775_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

So could I make a request that the model be changed to use 'textures/darkmod/window/smallpanels_industrial_mesh' by default instead of 'textures/darkmod/window/smallpanels_industrial_mesh_dimlit' please?

You can't change models or textures that have already been released without screwing things up, which I'm sure you already know.

• Like 1

You can't change models or textures that have already been released without screwing things up

Ah yes, I forgot about that. I will just have to work around it, creating, softlit and selflit versions.

But now thinking about this, looking at the above screenshot/s the dimlit texture is pretty much the same as unlit, its just the name of the texture that was messing with my head.

@Biker: If you are creating skins anyways and have some time it would be nice to have colorme versions of all those models.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

@Biker: If you are creating skins anyways and have some time it would be nice to have colorme versions of all those models.

Hmm I will try but -

• the lit versions are just tweaked version of the original window texture, so don't know atm how I would do this.
  • I have never created a colorme windows texture before, so would need to learn about the material defs

A colorme texture is basically an black and white image. So you basically need to desaturate the diffuse image (and maybe the specular).

The material stage only needs the command 'colored' added. There are some examples present if you check out the window textures (the material name ends with _colorme normally). The colored command allows to manipulate the color via the _color spawnarg on the entity that uses the material. This can be useful if you want to match the color of a window to a lightsource behind it, for example if the player can enter the area behind the window where said light is.

Instead of

diffusemap path_to_image

you than have

{
    blend diffusemap
    map path_to_image
    colored
}

You probably have to do the same for the specular.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

But now thinking about this, looking at the above screenshot/s the dimlit texture is pretty much the same as unlit, its just the name of the texture that was messing with my head.

The difference is that the dimlit texture has an additive blend so it can be seen in the dark.

I noticed you just changed the size of the original texture on SVN? You changed it to be 1024 x 509 instead of 512. Why did you do this? Textures have to be powers of 2 to work properly.

An over-site on my part, which I have now corrected and committed (#14830).

What did you change on the original in the first place? If the change was unintentional, it's better to revert it than resave it. You don't want to save .dds files any more than you have to as they're not lossless.

edit: I just looked at the new image. You've stretched it, presumably so there is less black at the top. Didn't we just establish a few posts ago that you can't change textures or models that have already been released? That now changes how the texture is aligned in any maps that are using it, as well as on the model that uses it.

I 'added' a more black at the top just enough to create the illusion of a bezel, as its 6 pixels high it will not effect any maps/models using it. This had to be done because the whole texture was off-center top-to-bottom. And now looking at the normal (which I forgot about untill now), IMO its bad and will need replacing.

This issue I raised above was present before and after I added the 6 pixel strip. When you created the model you likely never noticed the alignment issue as its extremely hard to see with the stock/unlit texture

I 'added' a more black at the top just enough to create the illusion of a bezel, as its 6 pixels high it will not effect any maps/models using it. This had to be done because the whole texture was off-center top-to-bottom.

It doesn't matter whether it's off-center. It's already been released. You can't move, rotate, or stretch textures that have already been released. I don't know how many other ways there are to say this? If you're adjusting the position of the image, it moves it in all existing maps/models. Surely you're aware of this??

I 'added' a more black at the top just enough to create the illusion of a bezel, as its 6 pixels high it will not effect any maps/models using it. This had to be done because the whole texture was off-center top-to-bottom. And now looking at the normal (which I forgot about untill now), IMO its bad and will need replacing.

This issue I raised above was present before and after I added the 6 pixel strip. When you created the model you likely never noticed the alignment issue as its extremely hard to see with the stock/unlit texture

UVs on models are usually scaled and aligned 1.1 on top of the original source texture. Editing the image (especially via cropping or scaling) will introduce alignment problems, especially if the model has been baked from precise measurements.

Even if there's something to bring up or correct, it's prudent to contact the author about it personally to get the okay to change something directly. In that same aspect, they can usually provide the best means of fixing something when the author most likely has source files and backups. In an instance with precise baked coordinates on my own models, this would've completely broken the edge normals were the same unauthorized edits performed.

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

I will revert the change I made and aligned the new lit version's to suit #14832

@Springheel,

• you haven't mentioned anything about the alignment issue with the model model, is this going to be fixed?
  • And what do we do about the normal..? We have fixed normals after the fact before now.

• UVs on models are usually scaled and aligned 1.1 on top of the original source texture. Editing the image (especially via cropping or scaling) will introduce alignment problems, especially if the model has been baked from precise measurements.

Even if there's something to bring up or correct, it's prudent to contact the author about it personally to get the okay to change something directly.

In that same aspect, they can usually provide the best means of fixing something when the author most likely has source files and backups.

In an instance with precise baked coordinates on my own models,

• That was the first thing I actually thought of before modifying the texture, it was precisely because that texture was mis-aligned that I started trying to fix it.

Just for information correctness - once an asset has been added to the core mod the original author is no longer the sole owner of that resource because it then subject to CC.

Agreed, but I still believe that the 6 pixel change would not have been noticeable in this instance. It was only after the fact that I remembered about the normal, which then highlighted that needs to be looked at.

In this instance I don't believe the model window textures were 'baked' on that model?

Even if there's something to bring up or correct, it's prudent to contact the author about it personally to get the okay to change something directly.

Just for information correctness - once an asset has been added to the core mod the original author is no longer the sole owner of that resource because it then subject to CC.

That doesn't change the value of basic courtesy. Nor is that a message you really want to hit content creators over the head with--"Hey, thanks for contributing to TDM, now we can do whatever we want to your artwork without asking you."

Agreed, but I still believe that the 6 pixel change would not have been noticeable in this instance

If it's not noticeable, then there's no reason to do it in the first place. If it is noticeable, then it's bad to do it. Either way, it should not be done.