19 replies to this topic

#1 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 36511 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

POPULAR

Want to hang out with fellow TDM enthusiasts?

Want an answer to a question but don't want to wait for hours on the forum?

Need a break from that marathon mapping session?

Join our Discord The Dark Mod channel! 

Discord is a very easy-to-use hangout platform.  You can easily chat, swap screenshots, or get feedback on a WIP.  With around 35 members in the TDM channel, there are usually a couple active people on any time of the day.

Adding screenshots is just drag and drop, and you can link directly to videos or images with automatic previews.  It's extremely easy to use and very handy when you need some quick feedback on a project.

You can download the free Discord app here: https://discordapp.com/download

But you don't have to!  You can access Discord directly from your browser by following this link:  https://discord.gg/M96zPHD

Hope to see you there!

Attached Files

• Attached File  dd.jpg   59.08KB   0 downloads

• New Horizon, HMart, jaxa and 6 others like this

#2 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1242 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:37 PM

You should probably slap a Discord link somewhere on thedarkmod.com, if not the forums main page. Since this thread will disappear from Recent Topics whenever.

#3 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36511 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:34 PM

That's not a bad idea.  I'll pin this as well.

• Judith likes this

#4 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1427 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:00 PM

Hey, that sounds pretty sweet!

#5 gnartsch

gnartsch

• PipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 04:57 AM

I wonder why this got pinned to the 'The Dark Mod' forum and not in the 'Editors Guild'.

Do you really want to attrackt people just hanging out in the more general subforums?

And then asking questions like 'when will it be released?' and other random noise?

If that channel should serve as a better means for actual mappers to provide help to each other, then you will be getting the wrong kind of audience, I am afraid.

Edited by gnartsch, 11 June 2017 - 04:57 AM.

#6 New Horizon

New Horizon

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13782 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:17 AM

Awesome

#7 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:49 AM

----.Delete.-----

Edited by Anderson, 11 June 2017 - 05:51 AM.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#8 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1242 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:54 AM

I wonder why this got pinned to the 'The Dark Mod' forum and not in the 'Editors Guild'.

Do you really want to attrackt people just hanging out in the more general subforums?

And then asking questions like 'when will it be released?' and other random noise?

If that channel should serve as a better means for actual mappers to provide help to each other, then you will be getting the wrong kind of audience, I am afraid.

Not a big deal. Elitist gnartsch, Sad! But adding another 1 or 2 text channels like #mapping should help.

#9 Spooks

Spooks

• PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:05 AM

Not a big deal. Elitist gnartsch, Sad! But adding another 1 or 2 text channels like #mapping should help.

Not only that, but Discord allows assigning roles to members, so only permitted chat members can access a mapping channel if discretion is wanted.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016)

Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes!

#10 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1242 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:24 AM

Not only that, but Discord allows assigning roles to members, so only permitted chat members can access a mapping channel if discretion is wanted.

There could be a #newbie channel for general/starting questions, and then #mapping restricted to users who have released 1 FM.

#11 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:28 AM

There could be a #newbie channel for general/starting questions, and then #mapping restricted to users who have released 1 FM.

Not fair. Some people map without ever releasing a map. Discrimination.

• Judith, Spooks and CarltonTroisi like this

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#12 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36511 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:38 AM

The channel isn't just for mappers.  It's for anyone interested in TDM, even if they just want to socialize.

If things get busy enough to warrant it, we can make separate channels.  But that hasn't been a problem so far.

• Epifire and Anderson like this

#13 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5226 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:47 AM

Yeah at this point it's more important to maximize the number of participants & not divide it.

• Springheel and Anderson like this
Posted Image

#14 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11921 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:03 PM

So once I have Discord installed, how do I find the Dark Mod group?

#15 Xarg

Xarg

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

The discord.gg link Springheel put above should work in the join server thing

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

#16 Epifire

Epifire

• Active Developer
  • PipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:04 PM

Ahh yes glad our server had a repost again. I want to encourage other members of Discord (even for direct message and PMs) as it features a speedy file transfer option adaquate for handling small files, textures, maps, etc. The default is an 8mb cap but it can go to 50 if you're one of those folks who foots a small bill to support Discord. NOTE: You're never asked to pay anything in Discord, the only thing it grants is extra privileges if you feel inclined to do so.

If things get busy enough to warrant it, we can make separate channels.  But that hasn't been a problem so far.

I still say we should have a maps and art thread to avoid immediate announcement/content burial. I know people like to talk maps and models a lot and it's kinda nice to have a select corner for the eye candy. Beyond that I think the other two we have is fine. Maybe a poll to see what people think?

• Judith and Goldwell like this

Needing dem environment models?

Speak to the EPI!

Or rummage my online mesh repository instead...  https://www.mediafire.com/folder/7q1r8him1y63d/TDM%20Repository

#17 Atomica

Atomica

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:29 PM

Man I have to get on this Discord trend - everyone seems to be doing it. Back in my day everyone had their own IRC channels, then eventually Steam groups became popular. No-one cares about either one anymore though.

Oh my God! JC! A bomb!

#18 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5246 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:01 AM

Man I have to get on this Discord trend - everyone seems to be doing it.

I have never heard of it before :P

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#19 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18735 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:44 AM

I have never heard of it before

Someone told me about it ages ago on here, which is why I then setup the darkmod server channel on discord. I never thought to put a shout out in the forums, as I assumed everyone just knew about it.

#20 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5246 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:28 AM

Yeah. I'm not the trendy guy :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users