#1 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37336 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:58 AM

POPULAR

http://forums.thedar...apper-workshop/

The TDM New Mapper's Workshop will be beginning in about a week (if there is sufficient interest). 

I have about three months before my free time starts to decline, so my intention is to run a short workshop that fits into that time period.  Missions will therefore be small (which should always be the case for first missions anyway), and we will aim to complete them by September.

I need to restate that this is a beginner's tutorial.  If you have already mapped for TDM, even if you've never finished and released your mission, you will probably find the early lessons a bit tedious.

The format would be me preparing and releasing a video lesson, which particpants can follow at their own pace.  We will have a forum thread open for any questions, and for sharing achievements as we go.  The videos will continue to be useful after the fact, and should make doing this again much easier.  My schedule doesn't really allow me to conduct live sessions, and I'm not sure that's very useful in a mapping environment anyway.

I'd release a new lesson each week or two, and we'd encourage everyone to keep up with the lessons if possible, showing off our efforts before moving on to the next step.  Those participants who complete their mission by the end of the workshop (or reasonably close to it) will recieve a small token of their achievement by mail (not to mention receiving the excitement of TDM players with new missions to play)!

If you are interested, haven't mapped for TDM before, and are able to participate in the next three months, please sign up here.  I'll PM you some questions about what would be the most useful format for you. 

I'd like to get the workshop started in about a week's time if we have enough people.

• HMart, Dragofer, SeriousToni and 9 others like this
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#2 Destined

Destined

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1534 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:36 PM

I would be interested. I have never finished a map and think I fucked up the visportaling of my WIP, so I may have to start over again, anyway. Also, the pressure of wanting to keep up with the lessons, might keep my motivation up ;) . The only thing is: I have a lot of time on my hand right now, but this might change quite quickly, so it is possible that I might have to drop out along the way. Still, I will do my best :)

Edit: I think live sessions would not be manageable anyway, as we have people from a lot of different time zones here and it might interfere with workhours etc

Edited by Destined, 11 June 2017 - 12:38 PM.

• Springheel and Goldwell like this

#3 The Dark One

The Dark One

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:41 PM

Sure, why not? I'm barely anywhere on the A to Z thing, and I guess the extra motivation couldn't hurt. :P

• Springheel and CarltonTroisi like this

Because in mystery novels, the first suspect is almost certainly never the murderer. No matter how much unmovable evidence there is, it will all be smashed in pieces by the wrath of the remaining number of pages of the story.

-"The Evil Spirit of the Zushi Clan" from Virtual Carnal Pleasure by Yamada Fuutarou

#4 DoubleOhZero

DoubleOhZero

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:34 AM

Great idea, sign me up!

• Springheel likes this

#5 Delahunt

Delahunt

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:00 PM

I'll sign up as well. I like the sound of the format.

• Springheel likes this

#6 Darkness_Falls

Darkness_Falls

Concept Artist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2548 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:48 PM

I'm interested in this (sign me up)

Edited by Darkness_Falls, 12 June 2017 - 02:48 PM.

#7 SeriousToni

SeriousToni

Beginner Contest 2012 Winner

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2204 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:59 PM

You guys should promote this on ModDB and Facebook also I think. :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

#8 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37336 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:01 PM

I'm interested in this (sign me up)

All those years and you never made a map DF? :)

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#9 marcuskiwi

marcuskiwi

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:11 PM

As a newcomer to TDM and having played some of the Missions, please sign me up
  • Springheel likes this

#10 Atomica

Atomica

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:17 PM

I am also interested in this workshop.

Hell, I've been playing this mod for ages - figure I might as well see if I can contribute with a mission or two. B)

• Springheel likes this

#11 SuaveSteve

SuaveSteve

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:04 PM

Sign me up :)

• Springheel likes this

#12 Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:55 AM

Most of my time in July will be filled with university stuff unfortunately. But I think I can still save enough time for this and participate. So sign me up  :) 

• Springheel likes this

#13 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37336 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:18 AM

Wow, now it's starting to get to the point where I have more people than I can handle.  I'd like to be able to help each person individually with their map when necessary, and there's a limit to how many maps I can reasonably look at in a week.

I think we'll have to cut off sign-up here.  We can always do another workshop later if there is more interest.

First lesson should be out in a few days.

• Destined likes this

#14 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20074 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:58 AM

I'd like to be able to help each person individually with their map when necessary.

If no one else steps up and for now atleast, I can lend a hand with this.

Reading the OP, I think I  would need a copy of the "Curriculum"...

#15 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37336 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:13 PM

This is definitely a "too many cooks" type of situation. 

#16 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20074 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:22 PM

No problem, offer is there.

#17 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5660 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

Well, there is no reason that only one person does something like this. If the amount of persons gets to high, you could split them and make the workshops in parallel.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#18 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37336 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:14 PM

Anyone else who wants to run their own workshop doesn't need my permission to do so.  Although having more than one going at the same time would be potentially confusing.  After this one, it will be at least a year before I'll have time to do another, so that is a pretty large window.

#19 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:13 PM

Wow, now it's starting to get to the point where I have more people than I can handle.  I'd like to be able to help each person individually with their map when necessary, and there's a limit to how many maps I can reasonably look at in a week.

I think we'll have to cut off sign-up here.  We can always do another workshop later if there is more interest.

First lesson should be out in a few days.

Best way to do this as teacher I think, is for you to set out in a video a project that's reasonably interesting, not too difficult. Then help them when they

get stuck, rather than having to guide each one. There's too many for you to guide them all, you'll end up hating it. 

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedar...2017-update-16/

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users