• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18642 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:10 PM

I have been a member since 2009 and have done a lot of work on TDM in that time. Over this time I took on more and more responsibilities, which eventually lead to me becoming part of the core team that kept the lights on.

But in a nutshell, the last 12 months have demonstrated that despite my love and dedication to something that has been a big part of my life for so long, I have without intending to do so, inadvertently caused harm which overshadowed any good I did. There has been constant friction between myself and some of the members of the team, to the point where the situation became abusive and anything I did was seen as toxic, neither of which are conducive to a creative environment.

So a few weeks ago I made the sole decision to step back from the mod. I have relinquished ownership of accounts and services that I setup and had been looking after to the care of the core team members. Any future TDM related requests (hosting an FM, getting forum or SVN access or getting assets added to the core mod etc) should now be directed at the team as I will no longer be an admin, or a team member,

I will attempt to wrap up any remaining projects I am working on that have a chance of being finished before the end of the year. I haven’t decided what I will do beyond that point.

• Anderson, montag and CarltonTroisi like this

#2 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18642 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:28 PM

Here is a link to all the resources I have collected and created over the years -

- mega

And for those who are interested, here is a copy of Komag's repository which includes 800+ T1/T2 & T3 FMs - 

- mega

Edited by Bikerdude, 14 June 2017 - 01:42 PM.

• Anderson likes this

#3 Atomica

Atomica

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

Well... shit.

I've only been a lurker (until now, signed up for the mapper workshop) but regardless I've always loved playing your FMs. Heck I didn't even notice any friction - maybe it wasn't public, or I wasn't paying attention. Regardless though, if you feel the need to take a break then it's definitely the most mature approach here. Probably good for your mental health as well. I hope you return at some point after things settle down. Good luck!

• Peanut likes this

Oh my God! JC! A bomb!

#4 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:42 PM

I know bikerdude personally (got to meet him during the time I was living in london) and hes this cool, friendly guy, whos done a whole lot of incredible work around here. I think we all appreaciate enormously all the concern and solicitude in actively helping new mappers getting their ideas out the door, all the busy work producing new material for the mod and all the insane amount of missions, map architecture you built, some of the most beloved missions in the mod history for sure... Speaking for myself, who has seen life going in all sorts of directions and only come here sporadically, its only natural you would feel like pursuing other things after devoting so much energy in this place, spending so much time with the same people. Its good to be able to turn off, invest in other interests. I would suggest painting ;) . Im sure you will feel like creating some more after you take some time off and find other inspirations. 

Edited by RPGista, 13 June 2017 - 09:44 PM.

• Bikerdude, Anderson and CarltonTroisi like this

#5 Moonbo

Moonbo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1059 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:14 PM

Hey Biker,

I'm sorry to hear about this - you were a great and genuine help to me as I was learning how to map, a true mentor. None of my missions would have turned out anywhere as good as they did if it hadn't been for your help and guidance. I hope this is just a temporary turn of events, but regardless you've left an indelible mark on this community and those of us in it.
  • Dunedain19 and Anderson like this
But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.
-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

#6 wesp5

wesp5

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:59 AM

I'm really sorry to hear this! Has it anything to do with the whole Steam Greenlight thing you started? It's a shame that friction is so often caused in mods with several core members! I missed the trouble when The Babylon Project was released, but I feel a lot of animosity even now between some of the people who were involved at the time...

Edited by wesp5, 14 June 2017 - 01:59 AM.

• Anderson likes this

#7 Destined

Destined

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:07 AM

I am also very sorry to hear it! I have been on the board not too long, but you were always one of the most supportive guys here. Not only regarding the mod itself, but with anything that you could help with. In my experience some time apart from people you bashed heads with can do wonders to your relationship and so I hope that you will be back soon after you gained some distance.

• montag likes this

#8 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:18 AM

That's sad news :(

You've set very high bar for yourself. Always been super friendly and helpful to new mappers, beyond highest expectations, really. It's only natural to take a break in a situation like this.

• Bikerdude and montag like this

#9 V-Man339

V-Man339

Perfectionist Taffer

• PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:15 AM

Damn, I'll be bumping your missions up on the to do list, then, to say the least.

Never noticed any friction, you will be missed if you are as absent as you claim you will be.

Edited by V-Man339, 14 June 2017 - 03:28 AM.

• montag likes this

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.
Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

#10 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:02 AM

I hope you will find the strength to finish what you may have and take it easy. Nothing is more important than health and your personal life with your friends and loved ones.

It is always helpful and a good idea to switch over to something else when you feel the need to. Life goes on and you will be fondly remembered.

A question that I've left is just a suggestion to not forget to add this to 2.06 as I contacted you on the matter. All the time there is something going on and it never seems to be working properly due to Tels leaving and now you bikerdude.

Best regards and have a good day!

http://bugs.thedarkm...iew.php?id=4523

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#11 esme

esme

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:25 AM

Well that's a shock (((( Biker ))))

#12 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1530 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:29 PM

POPULAR

which overshadowed any good I did.

No, this is simply impossible, biker.

You're simply an amazing inspiration for all the mappers around. No "overshadowing" is possible.

Edited by lowenz, 14 June 2017 - 01:29 PM.

• Bikerdude, HMart, Dunedain19 and 5 others like this

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#13 Jetrell

Jetrell

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:21 PM

POPULAR

This saddens me. I've also been a member of this community since 2009, though my membership has almost entirely been as a lurker. I've read and followed these forums carefully and have always been extremely impressed by how members conduct themselves in this community. Members are warmly embraced, supported, and valued and as a result members thrive in this community. This is truly an amazing accomplishment considering how the Internet is plagued with seemingly endless cesspools of acrimony. I've seen dissention here but it has always been handled with wisdom, thought, and respect. This community has so much to be very proud of and I have no doubt that it will continue to prosper.

I'm the lead coordinator of another project and to be honest our core team members hate each other. It's sad but it is what it is. I have no idea what happened in your particular situation but I think for us it's because we are so passionate about our project. We all want to make our game great but we all come with our own set of perspectives, ideas, and philosophies, which unfortunately sometimes results in conflict and this can easily erode to the point that it becomes personal. It's disappointing but it seems to be how the wind blows.

Bikerdude, I've probably read nearly all of your 18267 posts. This project and community has flourished as a result of your hard work and dedication. Your legacy is inspirational. On the rare occasion that I've posted a question you have always replied with thought, knowledge, and care even when my questions were incoherent. I thank you.

I know you said you don't know what you will do beyond this point but perhaps overtime feelings will change and you will come to look at what happened differently. On a couple of occasions I have quit my project but upon reflection I returned. I'm not sure if it's because I'm stubborn or if it's because I'm stupid - maybe a little bit of both. Or possibly because I care.

At any rate, I wish you the very best in all things.

• Bikerdude, Melan, PsymH and 7 others like this

#14 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3122 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:55 AM

I guess I am speaking for anyone that despite the friction, we are very thankful for all you have done and achieved. I am hoping you'll stick around.

• Bikerdude and montag like this

#15 montag

montag

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:38 AM

Bikerdude, I can only echo the hopes of others, that you will continue to stick around and help other mappers and continue to create map content as you have done for so long. Taking a step back seems a totally reasonable reaction, but you are (it seems to me) such an important part of TDM, that to lose you would be a blow to the TDM community. You have given so much to this community, and I hope you realize that a lot of us recognize all you have done, I'm sure that I am not the only person to think so. I can only say thanks for all you have done! Thanks to you, and more people, (you know who you are) who have recently posted vids on how-tos, I have started trying getting into making maps. One of the things keeping me going was the thought that no matter how bad I messed things up, you could have fixed it for me! Hopefully, in the next two years, (my estimated completion time) you will still be around to fix all my screw-ups! Cheers to you, and thanks for all your time and effort!

• Bikerdude and CarltonTroisi like this

#16 V-Man339

V-Man339

Perfectionist Taffer

• PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:04 AM

No, this is simply impossible, biker.

You're simply an amazing inspiration for all the mappers around. No "overshadowing" is possible.

Though I don't fully agree, the fact that I haven't seen any waves brought from your deeds alone is proof enough that I don't think your leaving is remotely necessary.

I feel as though many here will echo that sentiment and find you should stay unless you're truly, utterly dedicated to this choice.

If there was group drama, then I'm quite sure all involved would be willing to look past the issues and realize you're all contributing to something greater. But if your preferred solution is to bring swift resolution by bowing out... Well, let me just say I understand the decision.

Whatever you do, I can safely say I speak on behalf of the overwhelming majority of users when we say best wishes to you.

Edited by V-Man339, 15 June 2017 - 04:06 AM.

• Bikerdude likes this

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.
Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

#17 HMart

HMart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:39 AM

What? What the hell happen? You harming this mod?! How?

Bikerdude please think this through, i agree with the ones that say, you should stay, don't let any small fight diminish all the years of work you did for this mod, he exists because of you has well, i don't know what happen but imo going away is not the answer.

Take a break if you may but please return, imo this community needs your expertise.  

• CarltonTroisi likes this

#18 SeriousToni

SeriousToni

Beginner Contest 2012 Winner

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2196 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:56 PM

What? How can it happen that a core team member thinks he is not belonging to the team any more? I can not prove it but I believe you, biker, did just put as much time into the mod as the other team members, so I can not understand how this could have happened.

All the years I was, and I still believe, that you're one of the most successful modding teams out in the whole internet! What you guys realized in the past years was just unbelievable and it was recognized by all important gaming websites. So I will hope you guys will find together again and get rid of the (silly) differences that just happen if you work as passionate as you guys are about your work. Come back together and don't make anyone go who just put as much love into the project as you did!

• Bikerdude and CarltonTroisi like this
"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

#19 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2005 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:37 AM

Somewhat late to this topic but I have to say that I am appalled that a friendly and helpful poster like yourself can be driven to take this action

• Bikerdude and SeriousToni like this

#20 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18642 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:32 PM

I am appalled that a friendly and helpful poster like yourself can be driven to take this action

Its not that simple Jim, I am responsible for a number of things that led to this point. I made a bunch of avoidable mistakes, some small and some so big they affected the whole mod/forum.

Some team members quite rightly and wrongly had issues with some of things I did, but in a lot of instances my pov was not acknowledged which then lead to the aforementioned friction. Some of said my past mistakes caused two forum members to leave, which was a result of me trying to be helpful but just saying the wrong thing(online and in person). Then recently other team member called me out on my mistakes (which was fine) but then it got abusive.So after all that, its better for the mod that I take a step back.

And lets be honest, other than some mapping & texture grunt work I haven't usefully contributed that much to the mod beyond my free time.

Edited by Bikerdude, 22 June 2017 - 04:31 AM.

#21 ERH+

ERH+

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 05:26 AM

Some character types just don't mix well with each other, maybe it's all about opposing personality traits - and sometimes it's easy to take things as personal attack when people feel attached to thing you are questioning.

Edited by ERH+, 24 June 2017 - 05:27 AM.

S2wtMNl.gif

#22 CarltonTroisi

CarltonTroisi

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:47 PM

Don't devalue yourself.

This mod wouldn't be nearly what it is today, without your presence.  And you know it, I think.  Maybe these petty squabbles have led you to question your contribution.  And that's not right.

Anyway, here's hoping you'll eventually come to your senses.

cheers

• Bikerdude likes this

#23 chakkman

chakkman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:52 PM

Really sorry to hear about this.  :unsure: You will still go on mapping though, won't you? You made some of my favorite missions, so, pretty please.  :D 

• Bikerdude likes this

#24 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1245 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:10 AM

I've been a part of this community now since we got the first alpha of the game, and the only map was

a cave to a half completed mansion. Bikerdude was around all this time, and this is very sad news.  

Sorry to hear this BD. You've helped me numerous times in getting my map out, and probably a lot of other people. I love playing

your maps, in face last night I played Crucible (loved it), one of the best maps in TDM I think. I hope you won't stop making maps,

as it'd be a huge hole you'd leave, as you're most definitely the most prolific mapper in TDM. 

If you leave the community, I have to say you will be missed by it. So keep on mapping fella, and thanks for all the help

and great maps. :) Personally; I hope you decide to stay and keep making ur maps and helping new mappers like

myself.

Edited by NeonsStyle, 16 July 2017 - 12:23 AM.

I have a small YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

#25 Goldchocobo

Goldchocobo

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:25 PM

I'm late to the farewells here, but it's very sad to see you go Biker. You, alongside MD were my favorite collaborators.

• Anderson likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bikerdude

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users