The Dark Mod Forums

Testing native linux build: help needed

stgatilov

We have some internal changes happening in the TDM source code now.

As a result of these changes, Linux build is not working in the latest SVN version.

This is not appropriate of course :huh:

The idea is to fix Linux build incrementally, step by step.

But the problem is: I have only 64-bit Linux in virtual machine, and it cannot run TDM there.

I would be very grateful if some Linux geeky player could help me with testing the builds.

In order to do this, you need:

1. Real Linux OS installed (i.e. not in VM)
  2. Running native Linux build of TDM
  3. Some skill to build TDM (I think this point follows from the previous one)
  4. Basic SVN skills
  5. Unlimited internet access :unsure:

The last point is needed because testing should be done against uncompressed assets (instead of pk4 archives).

Note that I would fix compilation problems myself, so C++/programming skills are not necessary ;)

If you can help, please let me know.

• Like 4

I am a complete linux newbie but the OS does interest me. Do you know what versions of linux does TDM work on? I have an old desktop setup with ubuntu and it would be interesting to see if TDM runs better on linux than it does on windows

Keep us updated, I would like a chance to play around with the code if possible when it's in a compilation-ready state!

Ok.

Just... not yet :D

I am a complete linux newbie but the OS does interest me. Do you know what versions of linux does TDM work on? I have an old desktop setup with ubuntu and it would be interesting to see if TDM runs better on linux than it does on windows

I imagine that the right answer is: an any Linux, given some skill :unsure:

On 32-bit Linux it might be easier, on 64-bit Linux it is a bit harder now (but hopefully it would change in 2.06).

As for Linux-Windows comparison, it is common knowledge by now that Linux native TDM is slower.

But, once again, I hope this difference would go away in 2.06 ;)

• Like 1

As for Linux-Windows comparison, it is common knowledge by now that Linux native TDM is slower.

But, once again, I hope this difference would go away in 2.06 ;)

I'm curious why that is (TDM being slower in Linux). I've noticed this being an issue in virtually all id Tech 4 (i.e. Doom 3-based) games in Linux, whereby unless you force vsync in the game (which I don't like using due to input lag) you'll get a lot of stutter and fluctuating FPS. At least for me anyway, but I've been trying to get these games to work smoothly in Linux for years and it's never quite gotten there. Sometimes things just work really well at random and I can't replicate it, but then it goes back to being shit on the next run.

I've tried TDM on an Ubuntu based distro, both the native binary and through WINE.

There's not a huge difference between them, maybe the WINE version had a very tiny bit more fps, but the more annoying issue was some screen flicker with the native Linux version compared to running under WINE. I'm not sure if this is specific to TDM or this distro or hardware or whatever.

When does that flickering occur in the main menu or in-game? What kind of flickering? If it's in-game maybe you can try to type this in the console:

Thanks!

I just tried it again and I can't put my finger on when it starts happening, seems intermittent, may check again to see if it's related to lights.

Back in the day when I joined the mod I had both linux and windows installed on my pc (linux because I needed it for university). I have played TDM under linux til 1.08 iirc because it ran way better there. I had gotten only half the fps under windows. I don't know why this was but as said I have experienced the complete difference. And I can't recall linux users complaining about the performance within the past years.

If you are running a windows version under wine, though, it will definetely run worse.

I am a complete linux newbie but the OS does interest me.

Linux isn't all that different from windows by now. You get the basics very quickly. And it is imho the better OS (faster, way faster). However, as a gamer you are a bit on the bad side with it as most modern games are build upon DirectX, which is Windows stuff. :(

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

• 3 weeks later...

Keep us updated, I would like a chance to play around with the code if possible when it's in a compilation-ready state!

Sorry, but I forgot about this :blush:

Anyway, now Linux version builds an runs on both 32-bit and 64-bit Linux.

I do some basic testing of it in 64-bit Linux VM.

Feel free to play with it :D

• 3 weeks later...

If any more help is needed with this, I'd like to help :)

I'm running a few different linux distros so I could test on more than 1 setup (and they're not VMs)

I could even test with different drivers, as I own both an AMD and Nvidia GPU. (Rx480 can run Mesa and AMDGPU-Pro drivers ; GTX 660Ti can run nouveau :wacko: and nvidia proprietary)

I even know C++ and could possibly fix issues as I run into them.

But the SVN assets are not public, so I guess that is a problem :/

• Like 1