305 replies to this topic

#301 The Dark One

The Dark One

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:03 AM

Springheel, on 05 May 2018 - 11:05 AM, said:

So, anyone still working on these? 

I've been trying to get back into it. I watched (most of) your videos about making A Matter of Hours, and realized that almost every aspect of mapmaking makes perfect sense while I watch it, and then when I look away none of it does. :P Might rewatch a few and see if something sticks. They've honestly been useful, thank you. :)

• Springheel likes this

Because in mystery novels, the first suspect is almost certainly never the murderer. No matter how much unmovable evidence there is, it will all be smashed in pieces by the wrath of the remaining number of pages of the story.

-"The Evil Spirit of the Zushi Clan" from Virtual Carnal Pleasure by Yamada Fuutarou

#302 crabmusket

crabmusket

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:23 PM

I'm really keen to get back into the Dark Mod and I plan to follow through these videos and produce a little mission! I've already watched most of Sotha's bakery job series and built myself a little test room so I know that everything's set up and working.

I just have a question for Springheel, if you're still happy to act as a sounding-board: how difficult would it be to create a guard patrol that goes sort of like this:

Spoiler

Edited by crabmusket, 04 July 2018 - 03:26 PM.

• The Dark One likes this

#303 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37174 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:49 PM

Most of what you propose can be done fairly easily.

The tricky bit is interacting with the key.  If you need an actual key entity (that the player could steal and use) then you'd have to come up with a way to make the key disappear and reappear when the AI interacts with it.  This can be done but it's not a beginner level thing...I'd have to look up how to do it myself.

Having the AI react to the key being stolen can be done as well: http://wiki.thedarkm..._Missing_Object

#304 Destined

Destined

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1494 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:42 PM

I think the easiest way would be with a simple script that is triggered at the end of the animation (this is possible with a trigger entity as a target on the path entity) that simply toggles the key hidden and unhidden. I would have to test this myself, but I think this is easier than trying to achieve the same effect through other ways. When stealing the key is set as an objective, you can change the path of the guard through that and let him raise the alarm.

#305 crabmusket

crabmusket

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 05:22 AM

Thanks for the feedback both of you! That support for missing objects seems really detailed, and perfect for some things I want to do. Maybe I'll skip the interaction between the guard and the key for now.

Also, I forgot to say - I'm really impressed at both this video series and Sotha's. It's awesome to have such high-quality, detailed, and recent tutorials! Thanks everyone for all the work that's been put into helping FM authors :).

• Springheel likes this

#306 Destined

Destined

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1494 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:15 AM

I think, if you put the key in a position on the guard's hip that can be reached, while he is sleeping, this would mostly have the same effect: give the player an opportunity to steal it. Of course, this would not be the only opportunity unless you plan the patrols very carefully, but even this should be doable.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users