The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 - That Bad?

bobrpggamer

Here is everything wrong with Thief 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPqwDGXxLhU

• Like 2

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Here is everything wrong with Thief 4.

Everyone on this site agrees or they would not be reading this. I do like AAA games but Thief 1 and 2 is like a 100 year old bottle of Scotch, that is so hard to acquire, leading to purchasing some Canadian Mist or Jim Beam or whatever would be commonplace. So you and I and many others here will play that rare game on hard once in a year or so, but in the meantime we have all the rest.

I did not watch too much due to spoilers in Thief 4.

This could also be said for Morrowind to Oblivion (no pun intended). I had a ring, necklace, boots and other things that would allow me to walk in the air across the map with levitate enchantments, when I started I accidentally killed a shopkeeper when I clicked on an object and she attacked me, so that store was my new home, I had armor, weapons, arrows and other things collected laid out on her counters. The game was a true sandbox, you could do anything in the game.

Oh and guess who started DLC. This was the easiest way to rake in the money, just leave out something that they already had then tease them with it and get $50.00 more for your game with little $10.00 bits of things every gamer knows was already conceived when the game was made.

Now we have In-Dev games at full price, oh and my favorite: Standard Edition $50.00 Hero Edition $60.00, Royal Edition $ 80.00 and Ultimate Edition $90.00.

All thanks to Bethesda and Horse Armor. I believe this was the precursor to milking gamers for extra money.

Edited by bobrpggamer

Thief 1-2 should be on both GoG and Steam, so it's not that hard to find. And with NewDark, hardware compatibility issues are minimal these days.

As for the whiskey comparison: to me, Thief 4 is like Johnny Walker Red Label. Some people call that whiskey, sure. I think no human being with minimum amount of self-respect should ever go below Jack Daniels ;)

Thief 1-2 should be on both GoG and Steam, so it's not that hard to find. And with NewDark, hardware compatibility issues are minimal these days.

As for the whiskey comparison: to me, Thief 4 is like Johnny Walker Red Label. Some people call that whiskey, sure. I think no human being with minimum amount of self-respect should ever go below Jack Daniels ;)

If you value your health, I'd suggest wine such as Carbernet or Cahor if you like. Adds hemoglobin to your blood if you drink in moderation. Witcher, Pathologic, Bloodlines, LA Noire and Thief. Each with a distinct flavor and probably at least one has something for everyone even if they're not wine savvy.

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

As for the whiskey comparison: to me, Thief 4 is like Johnny Walker Red Label. Some people call that whiskey, sure. I think no human being with minimum amount of self-respect should ever go below Jack Daniels

Other than those on fixed income and badly in debt, the debt being my own fault of course.

Last hard liqueur I had was called Presedente Brandy that was on sale and tasted like turpentine, I thought it was a cut above EJ, Christian Brothers or Korbel as a mid quality brandy, but it would have make a better Molotov cocktail instead. It was on my counter almost a month with a few drinks here and there until I decided to finish it one night, It decayed the roof of my mouth, and I am not joking. I like to stick with good beer when I can.

I am happy I quit smoking, but more happy I am not an alcoholic.

I have all three GOG Thief games installed, i will look up NewDark, I did play thief 2 not too long ago and it ran fine. Thief 1 and 2 were harder to play on XP if I remember

Edited by bobrpggamer
  • Like 1

The most compatibility problems I had with Thief 3 as that was designed for XP and XP only. If I remember correctly, they used some folders (for the savegames) that did not exist in later Windows versions. I tried to install it some time ago (I still had the original DVD, and now that I think about it, this game was the reason I bought a DVD drive for my old PC; good old times ;) ) and after an hour of trying various workarounds I got it running, but had massive graphic glitches, so I gave up.

So, are you putting Jack Daniels above Johnny Walker? I would not agree to that. But it definitely is a "I don't mind if people mix it with coke" kind of whisky. I prefer whisky (the missing "e" is intentional) as smoky as possible like Laphroaig or other Isleys.

The most compatibility problems I had with Thief 3 as that was designed for XP and XP only. If I remember correctly, they used some folders (for the savegames) that did not exist in later Windows versions. I tried to install it some time ago (I still had the original DVD, and now that I think about it, this game was the reason I bought a DVD drive for my old PC; good old times ;) ) and after an hour of trying various workarounds I got it running, but had massive graphic glitches, so I gave up.

Try here https://www.gog.com/game/thief_3, I bought this just to make my video of my FM, so it works.

So, are you putting Jack Daniels above Johnny Walker? I would not agree to that. But it definitely is a "I don't mind if people mix it with coke" kind of whisky. I prefer whisky (the missing "e" is intentional) as smoky as possible like Laphroaig or other Isleys.

Way out of my league.

I admit, I don't have refined taste in whiskey. I like JD or Jameson for my weekly needs, I also tried a few finer brands like Greenspot or Yellowspot. But even my plebeian nose and taste buds can sense ethanol in red label. It almost reeks of it. Maybe that's a regional thing, and this is one of the cheapest whiskeys on the market, so I shouldn't be that surprised.

Edited by Judith
  • Like 2

What about Sneaky Upgrade? I managed to run Thief 3 on Win7 with it.

I have this picture in my head of a man around in the late 1800's that used to hang around in the White Chapel district in London, well I may not know Jack but I know of a woman with a name of Rosie in the scull mission, I think this person had something to do with a Woman named Rosie back then too, and may have had a prostitute mother.

OK enough of the Jack the Knife or Ripper or whatever references, his crimes were not something to be joked around about. I have hired women of the night myself put bluntly, but i treat them with respect if they are respectable.

I also have this Idea that someone was around at these times watching this and did not stop it for some reason, for the sake of history maybe.

Yeah, I don't mind a succubus now and again. I've summoned them.

what were they like,I have thought of tricking one into to thinking I am in love with them and then send them back to hell without my soul, or even better - commanding them as being a major demon myself, they will be bound to me, to watch movies with me and drink beer and listen to the master demon Danzig, believe me he is the one to watch out for. Not many people know this, but he has the mark of the beast on his left tit. this was how he bragged about killing my baby in his "Last caress" song, he dumped my baby down a port a potty and wrote a song of praise about it.

My mark is only known to animal kind, they know who I am but people do not have the sense that animals are born with. This is somehow true, don't ask me why.

Every thing I sad was true, only danzig is obviously human not a demon of any kind and Marilyn Manson only wishes he was the antichrist. Only the birthright of an evil god such as, Death, Baal, or the master of hell himself Satan, all the sacrifices and garbage I would believe mildly amuses them. Birthright is everything.

I want to be a shepherd in New Zealand and only sheer my sheep - no slaughter of the innocent, and also work with my computer of course and be surrounded by animals, and be accepted in a community where I do not have to worry if they spit in my food at the local diner.

I would love to eat bread and cheese and be at Peace than lead a group of lesser demons to torture my enemies. A simple facet of evil is there is a larger evil That will devour that and that evil will soon be devoured by a another. I would always choose peace over power.

Edited by bobrpggamer

With your last response I am honestly not sure whether to laugh, or to cry.

And if I did cry, it might be a case of crocodile tears, unfortunately.

But the Succubi were amazing. If only I did not have to summon and pay the fee; to have but a taste of these forbidden things without being naturally forbidden by the constraints of limited sociability.. that would be the goal.

Edited by CarltonTroisi

With your last response I am honestly not sure whether to laugh, or to cry.

My baby daughter was killed in this way or maybe eaten I can only piece together so much. The angel of death saved her and she was raised away from me.

How Danzig believes killing my baby daughter is a thing to praise is up to the the lords of the underworld to determine, unless I try some bloodletting myself if given the opportunity. I have a large list of people I plan to have a long talk with someday - if given the opportunity.

those people will regret it.

I may have a demon female or two watching out for me, this is from the birthright of my father, these women are not my slaves and never will be.

This is the talk of a schizophrenic - but in my case it is and everyone knows it is true. I walked into a psychiatric office, that earlier in the month the staff spit in my oatmeal and the apple juice was urine. anyway I have been to an adolescent psychiatric hospital 5 times as a teen and 4 times as an adult.

So I lay it on the line (no longer under forensic psychiatric hold the last 16 years) I do not want to list it all, but at the end from what I said I was deemed psychotic, that's all fine and dandy, but I forgot to ask the question I hate myself for not asking and that was - "What If it is real" - what would it be then.

Well I know i should be insane after it all, but even though I am not socially appropriate at times I am completely sane.

Sorry for the way this topic has gone but I can say I am being truthful and would have no Idea why I would make this all up.

It just brought up the bastard who made a clone of me and put me in 1800s sometime and this clone was literally Jack the Ripper, so this person who put me there is watching it all happen with happen with his cameras - but on being a different wavelength that cannot be seen, so he does not stop it and sits and watches it happen.

Now the clone is not me I am here at 49 right now. but guess who gets all the blame ME, the guy that's writing this at 49 years old. He put me there watched it happen and gets 0% blame.

That's why the Rosie and Jack the Ripper references pissed me off. I has a DA directly not give me parole because I was playing Thief 3 at the time with the gas lamps and sneaking around with a knife. She only thought of my clone being Jack the Ripper and the butchering of women - yeah at 37 years old in California.

She tore me apart for this in court - but of course there was no mention of the truth of it but it was obvious. illegal Clone-maker / clone monitor gets 0% blame. This sick F*** hovers over my bed at night i cannot lay with my head toward the ceiling because I can only see in my mind this face is 10" from my face looking directly at me.

Think what you want but this is real and at times such as "Rosie" in the scull mission just pisses me off.

Edited by bobrpggamer

My baby daughter was killed in this way or maybe eaten I can only piece together so much. The angel of death saved her and she was raised away from me.

How Danzig believes killing my baby daughter is a thing to praise is up to the the lords of the underworld to determine, unless I try some bloodletting myself if given the opportunity. I have a large list of people I plan to have a long talk with someday - if given the opportunity.

those people will regret it.

I may have a demon female or two watching out for me, this is from the birthright of my father, these women are not my slaves and never will be.

This is the talk of a schizophrenic - but in my case it is and everyone knows it is true. I walked into a psychiatric office, that earlier in the month the staff spit in my oatmeal and the apple juice was urine. anyway I have been to an adolescent psychiatric hospital 5 times as a teen and 4 times as an adult.

So I lay it on the line (no longer under forensic psychiatric hold the last 16 years) I do not want to list it all, but at the end from what I said I was deemed psychotic, that's all fine and dandy, but I forgot to ask the question I hate myself for not asking and that was - "What If it is real" - what would it be then.

Well I know i should be insane after it all, but even though I am not socially appropriate at times I am completely sane.

Sorry for the way this topic has gone but I can say I am being truthful and would have no Idea why I would make this all up.

It just brought up the bastard who made a clone of me and put me in 1800s sometime and this clone was literally Jack the Ripper, so this person who put me there is watching it all happen with happen with his cameras - but on being a different wavelength that cannot be seen, so he does not stop it and sits and watches it happen.

Now the clone is not me I am here at 49 right now. but guess who gets all the blame ME, the guy that's writing this at 49 years old. He put me there watched it happen and gets 0% blame.

That's why the Rosie and Jack the Ripper references pissed me off. I has a DA directly not give me parole because I was playing Thief 3 at the time with the gas lamps and sneaking around with a knife. She only thought of my clone being Jack the Ripper and the butchering of women - yeah at 37 years old in California.

She tore me apart for this in court - but of course there was no mention of the truth of it but it was obvious. illegal Clone-maker / clone monitor gets 0% blame. This sick F*** hovers over my bed at night i cannot lay with my head toward the ceiling because I can only see in my mind this face is 10" from my face looking directly at me.

Think what you want but this is real and at times such as "Rosie" in the scull mission just pisses me off.

Alas many of us have been there because you never know where life takes you.

We just got to do our jobs and make ends meet. And everything will be fine. We've got to convince ourselves of that and go forward. We have no right not to believe that things will turn out better tomorrow. It works for me and lots of other people near me.

I also live near a psychiatric hospital though I never needed anything more than the trivial certificate for driving/gun ownership.

Medical exams don't help nearly enough to figure that psychological contact with us, to fix what's wrong and go forward. But we obstinate and we realize that this shall pass too. Life goes on.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Alas many of us have been there because you never know where life takes you.

We just got to do our jobs and make ends meet. And everything will be fine. We've got to convince ourselves of that and go forward. We have no right not to believe that things will turn out better tomorrow. It works for me and lots of other people near me.

I also live near a psychiatric hospital though I never needed anything more than the trivial certificate for driving/gun ownership.

Medical exams don't help nearly enough to figure that psychological contact with us, to fix what's wrong and go forward. But we obstinate and we realize that this shall pass too. Life goes on.

You are a wise and kind man. Thank you for not ripping my reality down to what would be nonsense. Unfortunately I wish I could believe everything will be good, but my enemy is always plotting against me, if it was not for god I would be living under a bridge.

I would like to retire to a good psychiatric hospital for the rest of my life, I have always felt normal and save in mental institutions, but the days of my teens and mental institutions are over. They will try to break me if I return, they have already tried but failed. 61/2 years 1995-2002 they mentally tortured me in state hospitals, and I at the time could not understand why.

F*** this is getting depressing.

Edited by bobrpggamer

I made an entire video to emphasize the major failing of Thief 4: a compelte and total lack of immersion.

The major failing of Thief 4 is that instead of being even remotely notable, it's largely just vanilla garbage that was rushed out the door (some cutscenes are flat out missing audio for some things) and ends up just feeling like a Dishonored knockoff with massive limitations.

After actuality grimacing through this video, why was the last thing said in this - "Suck Dick"? Does sucking a dick have any aspect in the game, I don't understand, why the term Suck Dick is even in a thief like game. Do you think sucking a dick is a cool thing to say, have you been in prison and were asked to suck a dick or are you one of those white boys that think being a negro is cool.

Do you play games to enjoy or are you above all developers and make videos of their lessor works so you can say "Suck Dick" like a 12 year old with the wisdom of a mentally challenged 8 year old negro.

You gave my adulterated hate, thank you for making a summery of the game industry to the phrase "Suck Dick". too bad I cannot give you pink eye but I am not a god. never will be or 80% of all humans would disappear.

You can label me a troll or whatever, but the fact that you made that video makes you a subhuman or mentally challenged and that is not a place to be missed.

I can be evil as sin and this is one way to do this, I hope you find a way to avoid the demons that will shove a dick down your thought. You people may hide behind an IP but upon further inspection that will not save you. There are those that I will bind their arms and legs with Ethernet cable and cut a 1-2 " incision in their belly at which poit they will bleed in pain for days, that blood will be delivered to their relatives as an offering and as a repute of the foul they have given birth to.

Your site was a good thief type site but this subhuman wannabe negro pile of shit is all I can handle. Pray I don't find you maggot, you will be tortured to death as previously mentioned, and in hell you are a worm and known to all.

Time for my meds.

Edited by bobrpggamer

After actuality grimacing through this video, why was the last thing said in this - "Suck Dick"? Does sucking a dick have any aspect in the game, I don't understand, why the term Suck Dick is even in a thief like game. Do you think sucking a dick is a cool thing to say, have you been in prison and were asked to suck a dick or are you one of those white boys that think being a negro is cool.

Do you play games to enjoy or are you above all developers and make videos of their lessor works so you can say "Suck Dick" like a 12 year old with the wisdom of a mentally challenged 8 year old negro.

You gave my adulterated hate, thank you for making a summery of the game industry to the phrase "Suck Dick". too bad I cannot give you pink eye but I am not a god. never will be or 80% of all humans would disappear.

You can label me a troll or whatever, but the fact that you made that video makes you a subhuman or mentally challenged and that is not a place to be missed.

I can be evil as sin and this is one way to do this, I hope you find a way to avoid the demons that will shove a dick down your thought. You people may hide behind an IP but upon further inspection that will not save you. There are those that I will bind their arms and legs with Ethernet cable and cut a 1-2 " incision in their belly at which poit they will bleed in pain for days, that blood will be delivered to their relatives as an offering and as a repute of the foul they have given birth to.

Your site was a good thief type site but this subhuman wannabe negro pile of shit is all I can handle. Pray I don't find you maggot, you will be tortured to death as previously mentioned, and in hell you are a worm and known to all.

Time for my meds.

I'm going to assume you don't understand the satire or this isn't sarcasm and aren't triggered by homosexual remarks, if only for the sake of discussion.

The video is a criticism of Thief 4. The ending mocks the demographic that might actually be playing the game, the "lowest common denominator" if you will. This is small children with a massive inability to feel important that buy games and yell on microphones about how great their performance at said games are.

These children often use that as an insult online. I would know, I've been told by many children to suck dick, and have had my sexuality (and my mother's sexuality!) stated in an insulting fashion by children such as these on numerous occasion!

Luckily, the video is mocking these children and not advocating that you or anyone suck dick, as it would be improper to do so in a legitimate manner.

If you'd like, I can let my friend who voiced the sound effects and the bit at the end of the video know that he truly impacted someone in life because of how good his acting was! I'm fairly sure he will love being told he was able to pull off the voice of "a 12 year old with the wisdom of a mentally challenged 8 year old negro."

I would say "I hope explaining the joke has made the video funny" but that's not how humor works.

Either way, good luck with your medication, your post makes me wonder if you may need to take it more often or in higher doses, even if only because you seem oddly obsessed with dark skinned individuals.

Edited by V-Man339

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

I have to say I am deeply saddened by the tone this conversation has fallen into. ffs GROW UP, All of you. Sheesh.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

See, i always wonder about the point of such videos as the Thief 4 rant video above (even though i only watched the end, but i can imagine what it is about). They just don't make big games for the target audience of the usual TDM player anymore. Nowadays crowd can't be arsed to use their heads anymore, they need quest markers, and they need games which almost play themselves, Assassins Creed style. We are a dying breed. I'm almost 40 now,and i simply don't feel targetted by nowadays AAA games anymore. There are a few exceptions, but, even on those, you see the development. I don't blame them though. They want to sell games, they want to keep the games industry running, so they can't develop past the (young) target audience. Simply a fact you either accept, or not.

BTW, i do think that there are comfortable functions in more modern game, which are quite helpful, and positive (e.g. ... erm... quest markers :P). For me, it's rather about a compromise between sparing the player of annoying, and repeating things, and giving him enough to do, and enough control over his actions. But, i guess, that's pretty obvious, and a frequent game design decision, and consideration. I'm really into the Bethesda RPG's ATM, especially the Fallout's, and i do think that they're a pretty good compromise, in those regards.

Edited by chakkman