Thief 4 - That Bad?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#76 bobrpggamer

bobrpggamer

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:15 PM

I'm going to assume you don't understand the satire or this isn't sarcasm and aren't triggered by homosexual remarks, if only for the sake of discussion.

The video is a criticism of Thief 4. The ending mocks the demographic that might actually be playing the game, the "lowest common denominator" if you will. This is small children with a massive inability to feel important that buy games and yell on microphones about how great their performance at said games are.

These children often use that as an insult online. I would know, I've been told by many children to suck dick, and have had my sexuality (and my mother's sexuality!) stated in an insulting fashion by children such as these on numerous occasion!

Luckily, the video is mocking these children and not advocating that you or anyone suck dick, as it would be improper to do so in a legitimate manner.

If you'd like, I can let my friend who voiced the sound effects and the bit at the end of the video know that he truly impacted someone in life because of how good his acting was! I'm fairly sure he will love being told he was able to pull off the voice of "a 12 year old with the wisdom of a mentally challenged 8 year old negro."

I would say "I hope explaining the joke has made the video funny" but that's not how humor works.

Either way, good luck with your medication, your post makes me wonder if you may need to take it more often or in higher doses, even if only because you seem oddly obsessed with dark skinned individuals.

I don't even need to read this a apologize. People that are weak in prison suck dicks to get by, this is fucked up and I took its as lots of people fucking with me telling me to suck their dick, I would rather cut it off and hand it to them.

I never went to prison but have heard this constantly in jail and hospitals and it pisses me off (hey bob want to slob on my knob, hey I will give you a joint if you suck my dick on and on).

Somehow a person that resembles me sucked dicks in Folsom State Penitentiary to survive, and this is the reason for the jokes about sucking a dick.

To be honest I thought this was made to fuck with me with the suck my dick at the end. If you heard the fucked up crap that has been said about me by perfect strangers, you may at least forgive me. here are some of my supporters: https://encyclopediadramatica.rs/You

I am surprised I have not been banned and I feel like I should.

Please, please forgive me, seeing how you guys haven't banned me I cannot believe I wrote this.

I've been told by many children to suck dick

Yeah I forgot the Xbox.

#77 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 36242 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:41 PM

Please, please forgive me, seeing how you guys haven't banned me I cannot believe I wrote this.

Let's make that the end of that topic.

#78 bobrpggamer

bobrpggamer

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:42 PM

Let's make that the end of that topic.

Yes!

#79 V-Man339

V-Man339

Perfectionist Taffer

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:37 PM

Agreed, and moving on

See, i always wonder about the point of such videos as the Thief 4 rant video above (even though i only watched the end, but i can imagine what it is about). They just don't make big games for the target audience of the usual TDM player anymore. Nowadays crowd can't be arsed to use their heads anymore, they need quest markers, and they need games which almost play themselves, Assassins Creed style. We are a dying breed. I'm almost 40 now,and i simply don't feel targetted by nowadays AAA games anymore. There are a few exceptions, but, even on those, you see the development. I don't blame them though. They want to sell games, they want to keep the games industry running, so they can't develop past the (young) target audience. Simply a fact you either accept, or not. 

BTW, i do think that there are comfortable functions in more modern game, which are quite helpful, and positive (e.g. ... erm... quest markers :P). For me, it's rather about a compromise between sparing the player of annoying, and repeating things, and giving him enough to do, and enough control over his actions. But, i guess, that's pretty obvious, and a frequent game design decision, and consideration. I'm really into the Bethesda RPG's ATM, especially the Fallout's, and i do think that they're a pretty good compromise, in those regards. 

I can safely say that the point of the video is to provide a sort of summary as to why, how and what the problems were for people who

1. Don't read articles that can tell them as much.
  2. Aren't smart enough to decipher it for themselves.

As much as you may or may not like it Plinkett's review style deep analysis of entertainment is going to be the future in terms of information dispersal, if only because it reaches more people than any other method.

As a result, videos like that which directly compare and contrast how Thief 4 didn't do things as well as Thief Gold/2 are some of the best short hand to toss to a friend when explaining why they should buy the (better and cheaper) classics.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.
Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

#80 Destined

Destined

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1189 posts

Posted Today, 12:14 AM

See, i always wonder about the point of such videos as the Thief 4 rant video above (even though i only watched the end, but i can imagine what it is about). They just don't make big games for the target audience of the usual TDM player anymore. Nowadays crowd can't be arsed to use their heads anymore, they need quest markers, and they need games which almost play themselves, Assassins Creed style. We are a dying breed. I'm almost 40 now,and i simply don't feel targetted by nowadays AAA games anymore. There are a few exceptions, but, even on those, you see the development. I don't blame them though. They want to sell games, they want to keep the games industry running, so they can't develop past the (young) target audience. Simply a fact you either accept, or not. 

BTW, i do think that there are comfortable functions in more modern game, which are quite helpful, and positive (e.g. ... erm... quest markers :P). For me, it's rather about a compromise between sparing the player of annoying, and repeating things, and giving him enough to do, and enough control over his actions. But, i guess, that's pretty obvious, and a frequent game design decision, and consideration. I'm really into the Bethesda RPG's ATM, especially the Fallout's, and i do think that they're a pretty good compromise, in those regards. 

I get lazy myself sometimes. Playing the latest Styx game, for example, I also use the quest markers, although I regularly think I should disable them...

As for AAA games, there are examples that are very difficult and are still quite popular. Best example would be the Dark Souls series (of which I still have not finished the first part). This, in general, does not explain a lot by itself and has the player find out most mechanics for himself. Even later in the game, each enemy can kill you more or less easily, if you are careless and you have to find the way forward for yourself. So, if you make a difficult game, you still can have a large audience. I think the problem is that the industry underestimates the abilities of gamers and would not lose too many players if the games had a higher difficulty.

#81 chakkman

chakkman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted Today, 05:18 AM

@ V-Man339: I don't know if you really can compare the classic Thief's to Thief 4 though. They always made it clear that it is a reboot, and there's more than 10 years between the games. Also, if you take the classic Thief's, and go even further back in time, you will realize that the Thief's also feature a lot of stuff to make the games considerably more convenient compared to what games have been like 10 years ago from that. So, it's sort of a development, which isn't entirely limited to what games are like nowadays. It's just that we may be at a point now where it is questionable whether we need more comfort, or not, and where it cuts into the gameplay, because it may take too much responsibility from the player. On the other hand, games always reflect the times they have been released at, and what has been catered to us player at the time we were in our "golden years" of course suits us the best. As i mentioned, nowadays generation of young players will absolutely yawn at the classic Thief's gameplay. I find Thief 4's gameplay more yawnable, but, it shows a lot of the virtues, which are so common to games these days. IMO, it's simply a matter of the target audience.

Edited by chakkman, Today, 05:19 AM.

#82 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted Today, 09:22 AM

It's not just the target audience. The Thief trilogy was beyond any argument more gothic aesthetically and this made wonders for the plot and the narrative and the presentation. That is simply not the case for Thief 4 on its own merits. Maybe odd example but probably that's why The Elder Scrolls II Daggerfall is better than Arena. Has a 3D map, allows more freedom, tried to give  a better tutorial. Maybe not to important when both games are a hurdle to play but you get the idea. Daggerfall was also inarguably darker and more gothic.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#83 chakkman

chakkman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted Today, 11:09 AM

Well, it surely has a reason that it rather got 70 ratings than 80's, or 90's. But, it just shows a lot of things which make nowadays games so annoying, because all the responsibility is taken from the player, because the kids like it like that. Look at Assassins Creed. I really like the older Tomb Raider games, because they do require some patience, and push of the buttons, and controls at the right time. In Assassins Creed, you just press W to climb every skyscraper. :P The prototype of the nowadays casual game, which just doesn't demand anything from the player, and merely impresses by graphics, and game world (even though even the game world is pretty dull TBH).

Edited by chakkman, Today, 11:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users