• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 greebo

greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 15950 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:23 AM

One minor thing that I just noticed: texture scale in surface inspector is limited to 3 digits after the decimal point. With big textures like 2048 you need precise scale values like 0.125 or 0.0625, and the latter gets rounded to 0.063.

I can't confirm that it's three digits, but the numbers displayed there are in fact rounded to 1.0e-5. The value of the entry field is also converted by means of a single-precision float.

I can change both things (just open a tracker entry), to round to 1.0e-7 and use doubles for emitting the texdef, but beware that the engine might read in something less precise in the end, since idTech4 is entirely based on single-precision floats. The resulting map format is using a texture matrix (not the legacy shift/scale/rotation) so it's possible that these floats used by the engine are sufficient here, but I haven't done any experiments which values are coming through.

#52 greebo

greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 15950 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:59 AM

Thanks everybody for testing, this is appreciated and not taken for granted! :) I'll publish the 2.3.0 release in the next few hours.

#53 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:50 AM

I'll set up my tracker account eventually. But I agree that if such change might break something or will be ignored by the engine, it's not really worth implementing. In the meantime, I'm off to check the final release :)

Edit: there's a sort of workaround for that as well. You can use a scaled-down _ed texture in DR, so you'll be able to use values with fewer digits. The engine will match the high-res texture in game accordingly.

Edited by Judith, Yesterday, 03:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users