The Dark Mod Forums

How to Change Texture Colours - (Request for Textures)

NeonsStyle

Hm, it would have been great if something were easy for a change ;)

I will have a look at it again with that in mind. Maybe with sufficiently desaturated coulours the effect is not as strong.

Edit: I also think that this effect is not too bothersome for the painted wood textures. If a "shiny" paint was used its reflectiveness could still make sense. The plaster is a different case, of course.

Edited by Destined

You actually don't need that in UE 3 (they correctly assumed that most surfaces out there are not metals and default specular color is white), but if you did, that's how it would probably look like, maybe with some minor tweaks here and there:

Clipboard03.png

If you can achieve something like that in TDM, that would be great.

I think it would be viable to generally introduce "colored" to white plasters and painted wood materials as this would add a lot of variability by just adding one word to a couple of material definitions, but will check out some other models first and post them here. It would also not affect older models, as the original colour is kept if the "_color" spawnarg is not used, so I cannot see any downside at the moment.

Our tradition thus far has been to add a _colorme to the end of the texture name, otherwise mappers have no reason to expect that it can take a color spawnarg.

Clipboard01.png

It's more pronounced in motion, but while the original material looks like a plaster wall, the colored version behaves like metallic surface. It's a wrong material. To make it right, you'll need to get the the value from colored and invert it, and then properly blend it with specular (add, blend?). Not sure how to do this though.

Most plaster textures don't use a specularmap, so it should default to black. If by "you need the value from colored and invert it" you mean that the specular map should have the inverse color of the diffuse multiplier (that's what colored is), you could do it like this

{
    blend specularmap
    map _white
    red 1-Parm0
    green 1-Parm1
    blue 1-Parm2
}

Although I am not sure why you think the specular should have the inverse color. Maybe you can explain this.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Ok, I've tested it and this it what it looks like

without specular

post-11230-0-81196100-1500473946_thumb.jpg

with the specular as written above (inverse color)

post-11230-0-33152800-1500474017_thumb.jpg

When using the color instead of the inverse color it looks almost the same, though. :huh:

EDIT: Only when looking from the front. From the side it looks different. A bit strange, though. When watching the orange one from a steep angle you get green specular.

Our tradition thus far has been to add a _colorme to the end of the texture name, otherwise mappers have no reason to expect that it can take a color spawnarg.

In this case, we would have to change the names of the used materials in the modules to the _colorme ones. How much effort would it be to do that? This way we could create _colorme modules, which would be nice to have. At least, if we figure out the specular stuff. I have to admit that I am not very versed in the whole "parts of a texture" stuff. The visual representation Judith offered is nice, but it does not really tell me which part is responsible for what. From the pictures Obsttorte posted, I would say that the first ones look flatter that the second one, which is what we want (I guess?).

Well that more complicated actually. Let's take a look at example that works. This is a wooden + metal surface, diffuse texture:

panel_diff.png

If you use B&W spec, it will look like something between plastic and metal. But if you use something like this:

panel_spec.png

It will look like this ingame:

do_2017-07-19_16.54.24.png

The light source is white, reflection on wooden panels is white, and metal reflection is a bit colored, as it should.

• Like 1

You actually don't need that in UE 3 (they correctly assumed that most surfaces out there are not metals and default specular color is white), but if you did, that's how it would probably look like, maybe with some minor tweaks here and there:

Clipboard03.png

If you can achieve something like that in TDM, that would be great.

If I understand the graph correctly the specular code would look like this

{
        blend specularmap
        map textures/darkmod/plaster/plaster_01
        red (1-Parm0)*0.5+(3-Parm0-Parm1-Parm2)*0.16
        green (1-Parm1)*0.5+(3-Parm0-Parm1-Parm2)*0.16
        blue (1-Parm2)*0.5+(3-Parm0-Parm1-Parm2)*0.16
}
  • Like 1

with the specular as written above (inverse color)

Yes, in general our practice is to give speculars only to shiny materials like metal or polished wood.

In this case, we would have to change the names of the used materials in the modules to the _colorme ones. How much effort would it be to do that?

You can't change the names of materials on existing models. What would work is creating a new _colorme texture and create a new skin that uses it.

This works brilliantly. Just what I needed. :) WIP This canal is all coloured buildings this is 2 out of about 16 plus a tower.

On side note, is there a way to make that shadow on the balcony a little less hard?

c2IC7ls.jpg

Edited by NeonsStyle

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

On side note, is there a way to make that shadow on the balcony a little less hard?

Place an ambient light (noshadows) below the balcony. If the area behind the facade is enterable make sure the light does not reach into the rooms behind.

Yeh placed a biground ambient but it doesn't really get rid of the squareness of the shadow. I might just pull down the balcony model

and and build my own.

Edited by NeonsStyle

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

You can't change the names of materials on existing models. What would work is creating a new _colorme texture and create a new skin that uses it.

That's what I meant and why I asked how much effort this would be. If I understand correctly it should simply require to copy the existing models, rename them to "*_colorme" and replace the materials with the respective "_colorme" materials. What I am not sure about is: how much work is it to replace the materials? Are they defined in a txt-file so a simple "search/replace" is possible or do you need to unpack the models in another program?

You don't need to alter the models. You only need to create the altered materials as well as the skins to get them to use.

You would find a skin for the models you want to apply the texture to, copy it, and replace any of the bolded textures with your _colorme texture:

skin mansion01_white
{
model models/darkmod/architecture/modules/interior_mansion01/mansion01_wall01.lwo
model models/darkmod/architecture/modules/interior_mansion01/mansion01_wall02.lwo
model models/darkmod/architecture/modules/interior_mansion01/mansion01_wall03.lwo
model models/darkmod/architecture/modules/interior_mansion01/mansion01_upperwall01.lwo

model models/darkmod/architecture/modules/interior_mansion01/mansion01_door01.lwo
model models/darkmod/architecture/modules/interior_mansion01/mansion01_door02.lwo

model models/darkmod/architecture/modules/interior_mansion01/mansion01_window01.lwo
model models/darkmod/architecture/modules/interior_mansion01/mansion01_window02.lwo

model models/darkmod/architecture/modules/interior_mansion01/mansion01_pillar01.lwo
model models/darkmod/architecture/modules/interior_mansion01/mansion01_pillar02.lwo

model models/darkmod/architecture/modules/interior_mansion01/mansion01_arch01.lwo
model models/darkmod/architecture/modules/interior_mansion01/mansion01_arch02.lwo

model models/darkmod/architecture/handrails/mansion01_railing_single.lwo
model models/darkmod/architecture/modules/interior_mansion01/mansion01_vertical_spacer01.lwo
model models/darkmod/architecture/modules/interior_mansion01/mansion01_horiz_spacer01.lwo
model models/darkmod/architecture/modules/interior_mansion01/mansion01_ceiling01_128x128.lwo
model models/darkmod/architecture/modules/interior_mansion01/mansion01_ceiling01_128strip.lwo

model models/darkmod/architecture/modules/interior_mansion01/frame01_empty_large.lwo
model models/darkmod/architecture/modules/interior_mansion01/frame01_empty_small.lwo
model models/darkmod/architecture/doors/door_3panel_104x56.lwo
model models/darkmod/architecture/doors/door_6panel_104x56.lwo

textures/darkmod/wood/panels/panel_carved_rectangles_01_walnut textures/darkmod/wood/boards/white_painted_wood01
textures/darkmod/wood/panels/thin_panels_with_trim_walnut textures/darkmod/wood/panels/thin_panels_white_painted
textures/darkmod/wood/panels/molding_walnut textures/darkmod/wood/panels/molding_white_painted
textures/darkmod/wood/panels/walnut_panel01 textures/darkmod/wood/boards/white_painted_wood01
textures/darkmod/wood/panels/wood_walnut_panel02 textures/darkmod/wood/panels/wood_white_panel02
textures/darkmod/wood/panels/ornament_relief_lionandnymphs_walnut textures/darkmod/stone/sculpted/panels/ornament_relief_lime_lionandnymphs
textures/darkmod/wood/panels/redbrown textures/darkmod/wood/boards/white_painted_wood01
textures/darkmod/wood/boards/wood_brown_walnut02 textures/darkmod/wood/boards/white_painted_wood01
textures/darkmod/wood/boards/wood_brown_walnut textures/darkmod/wood/boards/white_painted_wood01

// for noshadows textures
models/darkmod/wood/panels/panel_carved_rectangles_01_walnut_ns models/darkmod/wood/boards/white_painted_wood01_ns
models/darkmod/wood/panels/thin_panels_with_trim_walnut_ns models/darkmod/wood/panels/thin_panels_white_painted_ns
models/darkmod/wood/panels/molding_walnut_ns models/darkmod/wood/panels/molding_white_painted_ns
models/darkmod/wood/panels/walnut_panel01_ns models/darkmod/wood/boards/white_painted_wood01_ns
models/darkmod/wood/panels/wood_walnut_panel02_ns models/darkmod/wood/panels/wood_white_panel02_ns

models/darkmod/wood/panels/redbrown_ns models/darkmod/wood/boards/white_painted_wood01_ns
models/darkmod/wood/boards/wood_brown_walnut02_ns models/darkmod/wood/boards/white_painted_wood01_ns
models/darkmod/wood/boards/wood_brown_walnut_ns models/darkmod/wood/boards/white_painted_wood01_ns

}

The difficult part might be finding out which textures need to be changed. You could use the model viewer in DR and turn various textures on and off to see what they do.

Ugh, did not think of skins. It can be so simple ;)

I will have a look at it. It is not the first skin I have made, so I should not run into trouble (I hope). I already determined the required changes for a couple of models. So far, I have only exchanged the white materials. Any wooden or brown textures were left as they were. For the exterior timber modules it was sufficient to change the plaster_grey texture.

Ok, I have created a couple of colorme skins for the masnion01 modules. But to be honest, only the ones that exchange existing regular white wood with a coloured one looks good. The "white_colorme" skins are just too much. Maybe I just had the wrong colours for testing, but I do not really like it. But you can have look for yourself, here are the modified materials and the new skins:

white_colorme.mtr.txt

mansion_modules_colorme.skin.txt

Neon, PM me some suitable references and I'd like to take a crack at making some plaster materials for you. I need some practice with Substance Designer anyway, so at the very least it shouldn't be any time out of your way. ;)

• Like 1

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

Why do the colours need to be kept down to 60 or below saturation?

Why won't this shader work? I tried adding the qer_editorimage part, but that gives no shader. The specularmap is an experiment. Without it,

it still doesn't work.

textures/darkmod/wood/boards/white_painted_wood01_colourme
{
surftype15
description "wood"
{
blend diffusemap
map textures/darkmod/wood/boards/white_painted_wood01
coloured
specularmap textures/darkmod/wood/boards/white_painted_wood01_s
}
{
if ( parm11 > 0 )
blend gl_dst_color, gl_one
map _white
rgb 0.40 * parm11
}
{
if ( parm11 > 0 )
blend add
rgb 0.15 * parm11
}
// TDM Ambient Method Related
{
if (global5 == 1)
blend add
scale 1, 1
red global2
green global3
blue global4
}

Edited by NeonsStyle

The saturation below 60 was my personal opinion. With higher saturation the colours looked too bright and thus, not really fitting the TDM style. Maybe (especially in your case), it looks fine in a venice setting. I was just reminded of the Witcher 3's Toussant region.

The texture you posted looks pretty much the same as I made and mine worked. Where did you want to apply it? If you wanted to change it on a model/module you will have to create a skin file that replaces the "textures/darkmod/wood/boards/white_painted_wood01" with your new "textures/darkmod/wood/boards/white_painted_wood01_colourme". BTW:The addition is the American English "_colorme". I myself also prefer the British English "colour", but for consitency, I use the one prefered here. And this reminder borught me to your error: the keyword is "colored", not "coloured". Think American English here ;) .

This is wrong.

{
       blend         diffusemap
       map             textures/darkmod/wood/boards/white_painted_wood01
       coloured
  specularmap     textures/darkmod/wood/boards/white_painted_wood01_s
       }
The specular map is its own stage and it is called colored, not coloured, as Destined already mentioned. IdTech is American. :)

{
       blend         diffusemap
       map             textures/darkmod/wood/boards/white_painted_wood01
       colored
}
  specularmap     textures/darkmod/wood/boards/white_painted_wood01_s
You should get respective console errors btw.

Hmmm still doesn't work. I tried removing the specularmap, but it made no difference, I tried changing surftype wood etc to just wood as in the plaster01

shader, but it just doesn't work. It's this wierd black colour, that at it's edges takes on the wavyness of the water. Wierd. It's a patch cylinder divided into

several cylinders each a separate colour.

textures/darkmod/wood/boards/white_painted_wood01_colourme
{
surftype15
description "wood"
{
blend diffusemap
colored
}
specularmap textures/darkmod/wood/boards/white_painted_wood01_s
{
if ( parm11 > 0 )
blend gl_dst_color, gl_one
map _white
rgb 0.40 * parm11
}
{
if ( parm11 > 0 )
blend add
rgb 0.15 * parm11
}
// TDM Ambient Method Related
{
if (global5 == 1)
blend add
scale 1, 1
red global2
green global3
blue global4
}
}

Edited by NeonsStyle

I've just tested the shader and it works. Don't know what's going on on your side. Do you have a screenshot?