Photo

[Solved] Obsolete resource path errors in the console - how to get rid of them?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:15 PM

I had con_noprint set to 0 for quite some time now, both for use with r_showprimitives command, and because it displays helpful info during loading. It also displays many path errors, both while TDM main menu is loading and during FM loading.

Lately I’ve changed a name and textures/material names for one of my meshes. Everything updated correctly, I but still see a warning about textures with previous name missing. Looks like that information is still stored somewhere. Is it possible to get rid of it? I’d like to keep my log clean so I don’t miss anything important.

Edited by Judith, 20 July 2017 - 01:39 AM.

#2 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11921 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:29 PM

It sounds like one or more of your meshes or brushes is still using the old name.

If the name was used on a brush or patch, you could bring the map file up in a text editor and search for the old name.

It the name was used on a model, you could check your ase or lwo files the same way and see if the old name is still present.

#3 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:40 PM

This is an unwrapped texture, so it can't be used on brushes or other meshes. I searched the map files, but there are no traces of the old name here. Same for the model.

Actually you can see many errors like that during loading, for many FMs, while everything is fine, so paths must have been replaced correctly. Wonder where game keeps getting that information from.

Edited by Judith, 19 July 2017 - 03:42 PM.

#4 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11921 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:18 PM

Delete your *.cm file and dmap again?

• Judith likes this

#5 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11921 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:21 PM

When you see a warning that a sound or texture can't be found, it means the game can't find the object in the first place it looks. It will keep looking, and hopefully find what it needs elsewhere.

For example a missing dds version of a texture can be substituted with an existing jpg or tga file.

#6 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:26 PM

Good find! That did it. I opened all map files with notepad and searched for the old path, but it wasn't there. Looks like it's a good idea to delete files generated with dmap and gnerate them again, if you changed texture path or model name. Thanks again!

#7 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11921 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:36 PM

The *.cm file is notorious for sticking around through multiple dmaps.

Glad you found it.

• Judith likes this

#8 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:34 AM

Dammit, it looks like the problem still persists. I fired up TDM today and the old path still shows up during loading. I deleted all the files, saved the map in DR and then dmapped it, and that old path is still there. Maybe I should delete the .ase model and export it again.

My mistake, I pasted old code in my material file, it still had the previous texture name in // TDM Ambient Method Related section. It's all good now :)

Edited by Judith, 20 July 2017 - 01:42 AM.

• nbohr1more likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users