• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:20 PM

Didn't see it in bugtracker...

I'm not digging through forums to find evidence of naming conventions being dismissed for x reasons... What a waste of time.

The way missions are named and how they are named are two different things. Ok.

Pretty sure this was brought up in early 2016, that it didn't require renaming all the individual missions to reorder the list - think it was forum mod and not coder who replied, though - so probably you are right that it was not "dismissed" by the "right" person.

Alex: I like people changing stuff and kicking stuff so it works better. The more noise and swearing, the faster, the better. Nit-picking over semantics, on the other hand...
(sounds like you gotta clean your kitchen more often, mate, gross :P).

I'm still for mappers making use of the campaign function available for nested campaigns, but... oh... most apparently don't know about / implement it because it's in the RTFI wiki section.

#27 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11841 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:30 PM

Didn't see it in bugtracker...

#28 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 36413 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:11 PM

The way missions are named and how they are named are two different things. Ok.

What I said was that the way missions are named and the order they are put in are two different things.

#29 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7812 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:14 PM

Yes, the patch is the perfect resolution as I can tell.

The sort ignores "The", "A", etc prefixes while keeping the list alphabetical otherwise and the

funny "Parcel, The" display convention is replaced by the much more aesthetically pleasing "The Parcel".

:wub:  :wub:

• Springheel, HMart and grayman like this
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#30 rich_is_bored

rich_is_bored

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:31 AM

Just curious but how's this work with other languages? I assume missions have English names regardless?

#31 wesp5

wesp5

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:25 AM

Pretty sure this was brought up in early 2016, that it didn't require renaming all the individual missions to reorder the list - think it was forum mod and not coder who replied, though - so probably you are right that it was not "dismissed" by the "right" person.

It was probably me who brought it up again and again, because I'm known to be stubborn ;). I even made my own patch to fix naming issues in the internal mission list, but I couldn't fix the ordering because this needs a recompilation of TDM, so I'm thankful that Alex did this and hope it will end up in the next TDM version! But if indeed the show-and-sort-missions-differently method is choosen, then the web mission list order should be adjusted because that does the simple alphabetical sorting.

@Springheel: According to the web mission list there are only 4 "A" missions, probably because some of the others are part of series which start differently. Speaking of which would these use the same show-and-sort-missions-differently method as the main missions or keep the simple scheme? I see some inconsistency coming up...

Edited by wesp5, 31 July 2017 - 03:28 AM.

#32 AlexDiru

AlexDiru

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:35 AM

then the web mission list order should be adjusted because that does the simple alphabetical sorting.

The proposed fix I have does both in the same way :)

#33 esme

esme

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:44 AM

I prefer "A mission" style listings to "mission, A", sorted including the "A", but if that's not an option it would be nice if both listings matched

Edited by esme, 31 July 2017 - 05:45 AM.

#34 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7812 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:44 PM

I applied this fix in SVN.

I previously suggested that we add playlist functionality so that groups of missions can be created or mappers

can supply their own playlists (as an alternative to the campaign process).

Up for the challenge? ;)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#35 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

I think it should be fixed, either in the downloader or the mission

I have a small YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

#36 Abusimplea

Abusimplea

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:50 AM

I think it should be fixed, either in the downloader or the mission

If i understand nbohr1more correctly, the fix has been applied to the version in development. I would expect it to be contained in the next official release.

#37 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11841 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:09 AM

If i understand nbohr1more correctly, the fix has been applied to the version in development. I would expect it to be contained in the next official release.

True, given that it gets through the beta period. For this type of change, which doesn't affect existing mission gameplay, beta testing should be trivial.

#38 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:44 AM

Voted - I also think it should be changed and ignore the "A".

I have a small YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users