32 replies to this topic

#26 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1519 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:37 AM

Here some tests with the source package renderprogs and provided binaries :D

See the CPU occupation with Vulkan, is striking low! AWESOME!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#27 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1519 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:49 AM

FPS (Vulkan wins again), using the menu pause to unlock the framerate (otherwise capped to 120) :D

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by lowenz, 12 August 2017 - 08:39 AM.

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#28 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7628 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:07 AM

Right.

This is certainly cool.

In general terms, having this work in TDM would allow mappers to create larger scenes with less CPU tax but

since this is derived from the BFG engine it would take substantial porting work (and if we did port BFG we would

also have lower CPU consumption due to it's GPU skinning tech). The biggest challenge? Porting all of our ARB

to GLSL shader versions with skinning components included.

I have been advocating that we merge in changes from Pat Raynor's hybrid branch to get our code-base closer to BFG

so that porting will be easier. Thus far, nobody with the aptitude to evaluate such changes has stepped forward to

discuss this plan of action other than to say it sounds promising. That may be changing soon with Cabalistic looking at VBO

code in that branch...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#29 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:02 PM

Whoever is aware and keeping up with the discussions here will be glad if it was possible at all to have multiple threading opened in TDM. Then we can knock ourselves out and proceed to make 2.06 closer. Because these updates take ages as it is.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#30 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1519 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:28 AM

New version!

https://github.com/D...kDOOM3/releases

#31 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1519 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:02 AM

See the *QUALITY* differences in the image using the MSAA 4x.

Vulkan is really superior (no blurring), maybe due to some old OpenGL sampling "optimizations" (LOL) left by NVidia.

And yes, less CPU burden (half!)

PNG images:

image.png

image.png

Edited by lowenz, 13 August 2017 - 04:04 AM.

#32 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1519 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:18 AM

With an "old" 750 Ti there's no FPS gain - actually a LOSS :D as seen in the 1050 Ti case above - but CPU has more free time as expected!

MSAA quality is still REALLY superior (men, see the monitor back texture.....)

image.png

image.png

#33 HMart

HMart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:18 PM

Anyone with a AMD GPU should play the game with the Vulkan render, i was never able to get steady 60fps's at 1080p with AA 4x, with this render i can and it seams it has even more performance to spare!   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users