linux video black screen version 2.05

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 GreyGhost

GreyGhost

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:15 PM

Yesterday I installed 'The Dark Mod' version 2.05 on my computer. 

('tdm_update.linux' worked great, but took FOREVER.  The resultant 'thedarkmod.x86' file is 6.5 MB in size.)

My issues:

• When starting the program (./thedarkmod.x86), I get great audio, but only a black screen (window).
  • When running on full desktop mode (not in a window), both monitors go black.
  • I can hear clicking when I move the (invisible) mouse pointer within the black screen. 
  • Unfortunately, the only way I found to get things back to 'normal' is to do a 'CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE', since I cannot get the mouse pointer to my desktop (when running in window mode).
  • I cannot see what errors I may have gotten when launching from the command line, because of having to re-start my session (see line above).

My computer system:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3610QM @ 2.30 GHz x 4

System RAM: 8 GB

Video Controller: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor

Video Card: AMD / ATI Heathrow PRO [Radeon HD 7850M/8850M]

Video RAM Available: 2048 MB

Displays: Laptop [1920 x 1080 (16:9)], Standalone monitor [1920 x 1080 (16:9)]

Anyway, from searching the forum for possible things to do to get video, I changed the following lines in my Darkmod.cfg file:

seta com_videoRam "2048"

seta r_aspectRatio "1"

seta r_fullscreen "0"

seta r_customHeight "900"

seta r_customWidth "1600"

seta r_mode "-1"

seta sys_videoRam "0"

Still, I get the black screen (window).

My Darkmod.log shows:

Spoiler

Any thoughts on how to actually 'see' what is hiding inside the black screen (or window)?

Edited by GreyGhost, 15 August 2017 - 12:15 PM.

#2 GreyGhost

GreyGhost

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:36 PM

Okay, in the forums I found where I can type the tilde ('~') character to get to a console.  Great!

Here is the 'dump' from my condump:

Spoiler

Edited by GreyGhost, 15 August 2017 - 12:07 PM.

#3 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7821 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:53 PM

Do you have the 32-bit S3TC libraries installed?

http://wiki.thedarkm...x.php?title=FAQ

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#4 freyk

freyk

• PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:55 PM

First remove darkmod.cfg, to get the default settings.

I think you need to install some 32 bit video opengl-drivers for your videocard.
Like "libgl1-fglrx-glx-i386" (or something else)

Check this tdm-wikiarticle and his notes
Installer and Manual Installation - Installing TDM on Linux 64 bit manually

Edited by freyk, 15 August 2017 - 07:06 AM.

#5 GreyGhost

GreyGhost

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:11 AM

Do you have the 32-bit S3TC libraries installed?

http://wiki.thedarkm...x.php?title=FAQ

nbohr1more, I know nothing about the 32-bit S3TC libraries.  The version 2.05 installation instructions said to install the "package called ia32-lib and and its dependencies", which I had 'ia32-libs' already installed as a requirement for another application.  I am assuming that since ia32-libs was installed via apt-get, all of its dependencies were installed also. 

#6 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 36419 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:19 AM

Double check that you have tdm_gui01.pk4 in your darkmod folder.  All the menu images that it's complaining about not finding are in that file.  It should be 25,999KB (assuming size is the same on linux as windows).

• stgatilov likes this

#7 GreyGhost

GreyGhost

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:15 AM

freyk, I performed the following from the link you noted:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
   sudo apt-get install libc6:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libx11-6:i386 libxext6:i386 libxxf86vm1:i386 libpng12-0:i386 libasound2-plugins:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libglapi-mesa:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386 wget unzip
   sudo mkdir -p /usr/share/games/darkmod
   sudo chown -R nobody:users /usr/share/games/darkmod
   sudo chmod uga+w /usr/share/games/darkmod
   exit

I moved all of my darkmod files to the new directory (which makes sense), reran 'tdm_update.linux', made 'thedarkmod.x86' executable, and tried to run it again.  Again, black screens, which were mirroring each other when I exited the program.  I changed the darkmod.cfg as shown in my first post, and ran 'thedarkmod.x86' again.  This time, a black window.

Here is my new console dump:

Spoiler

Any thoughts?

Edited by GreyGhost, 15 August 2017 - 12:07 PM.

#8 GreyGhost

GreyGhost

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

Springheel, I did check and found 'tdm_gui01.pk4' in the darkmod directory.  It's size is 26,622,315 bytes.

I noticed that there are other files in some of the .pk4 files that are not being loaded.  I wonder if the problem may be with the program opening the .pk4 files.

Edited by GreyGhost, 15 August 2017 - 10:21 AM.

#9 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7821 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:40 AM

Yeah, may be time to either chown those files or elevate the execution privilege of the executable.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#10 GreyGhost

GreyGhost

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:19 AM

nbohr1more, all of the files in the darkmod folder have <me> : <me> as the owner.  Since I am the only one that will be playing the game, there is no reason to perform a chown to the files (<me> : users, for example).

As noted in the preceding sentence, the two executables 'tdm_update.linux' and 'thedarkmod.x86' are both owned by me ( <me> : <me>).  Also, the permissions are 755 for both files.

The permissions on the remaining files, including the .pk4 files, are 644.  The permissions on the 'fms' and 'screenshots' directories are 755.

#11 NightStalker

NightStalker

Linux hero

• Development Role
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:47 AM

From a fellow Linux guy (Slackware, in my case), greetings and welcome to the forums, GreyGhost!

First, a friendly (but strong ;)) suggestion... When you have a large block of text (like that console output), please wrap the "Spoiler" tag around it when composing your post so that it doesn't require people to page through so much volume when perusing a thread. In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest going back and editing those earlier posts to do so.

There may be multiple problems here and I'm no expert on video issues, but let's slowly tackle things one-by-one....

First, it might be wise to verify the integrity of your 'tdm_gui01.pk4' file with this:
zip -T [path/]tdm_gui01.pk4
Assuming that's not (part of) the problem, let's address your video RAM issue:

guessing video ram ( use +set sys_videoRam to force ) ..
guess failed, return default low-end VRAM setting ( 64MB VRAM )
64 MB Video Memory

I don't own any AMD/ATI video cards, so I've never had to do anything about it because my old nVidia video card's RAM (256MB) is correctly determined:

guessing video ram ( use +set sys_videoRam to force ) ..
found XNVCtrl extension 1.28
256 MB Video Memory

But, as you can see, in your case, it looks like it's defaulting to a mere 64 MB of video RAM when you have 2048 MB. So you should address that with a setting as suggested in the console output before going too much further in the debugging.

I know that you made some VRAM-related settings in your debugging, but not knowing exactly where that advice came from and not personally knowing anything about those settings, I can't offer much more than to say, "Keep trying things until you see that 2048 MB is reported correctly in the console output." Others here more experienced in those settings will hopefully jump in with advice.

Also, given that both of your displays are 1920x1080 pixels, I cannot quite understand how setting this would ever be useful:

seta r_customHeight "900"
seta r_customWidth "1600"

But again, maybe those with more experience in use of those settings will jump in here.

If you have the 32-bit S3TC libraries properly installed, it strikes me as odd that you're seeing this:

X - GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc not found

I see (and I'd expect you to see) this:

v - using GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc

But you're running TDM in a 64-bit environment with 32-bit compatibility and I (generally) run TDM in a pure 32-bit (Slackware 14.2) environment, so that may be contributing to the problem.

BTW, what video card driver is installed? I know nothing about ATI Linux drivers, so I cannot be much help there, but it would be good for people reading this to know.

Can you run 'glxgears'? What does 'glxinfo' say? Please copy 'n' paste the 'glxinfo' output into a "Spoiler" section here if you can. It might help.

Try to address as many of these issues and questions as you can. Come back with any questions, please. I'm not an expert on a lot of this stuff, but I think the collective experience here can get you going on this, eventually.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

#12 GreyGhost

GreyGhost

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:14 PM

NightStalker, thanks for the friendly, but strong, suggestion.  I edited my previous posts and added spoiler sections.

Next, here is a short output from glxgears:

Spoiler

The output of testing 'tdm_gui01.pk4'  is: 'test of tdm_gui01.p4 OK'

The rest I will have to work on tonight.

Again, thanks for the spoiler suggestion.

#13 NightStalker

NightStalker

Linux hero

• Development Role
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:22 PM

I edited my previous posts and added spoiler sections.

Excellent! Thank you.

Next, here is a short output from glxgears:

That's good to see because it tells me that it's running, but what I really want to see is the output of 'glxinfo' whenever you get the chance.

The output of testing 'tdm_gui01.pk4'  is: 'test of tdm_gui01.p4 OK'

OK, very good to have ruled that out as a possible issue.

The rest I will have to work on tonight.

Sounds good. Fingers still crossed... :)

#14 GreyGhost

GreyGhost

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:23 PM

Yea!!!!!

Thanks to NightStalker for the comparison between what I had versus what he had.

I installed 'libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0:i386', and changed the 'seta sys_videoRam' from "0" to "256".  I can now see the Main Menu and get into the 'Training Mission'.

The need for this file and the other files noted in a previous post should be noted in the installation instructions for Linux users.

(BTW NightStalker: I was a SLACKer for many years, until I finally got tired of constantly having to spend time figuring out drivers and configuration issues when upgrading OS versions and installing new software.  I went from Slack to Ubuntu to Mint.)

#15 NightStalker

NightStalker

Linux hero

• Development Role
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:39 PM

I installed 'libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0:i386', and changed the 'seta sys_videoRam' from "0" to "256".  I can now see the Main Menu and get into the 'Training Mission'.

Excellent! Glad to hear this.

The need for this file and the other files noted in a previous post should be noted in the installation instructions for Linux users.

I seem to recall that the Linux installation instructions were in need of some attention. But although I'm sure they could (should) be improved, it's probably quite difficult to come up with instructions that work well across all Linux variants. I'm not saying we shouldn't improve them, but it might be a challenge. I don't have a surplus of time, but I'll try to look into that issue at some point.

What might be nice (if I can dream for a minute) would be to have a small test app that would demonstrate whether someone's hardware and OS setup was capable of running TDM, without having to first download the massive set of TDM installation files.

(BTW NightStalker: I was a SLACKer for many years, until I finally got tired of constantly having to spend time figuring out drivers and configuration issues when upgrading OS versions and installing new software.  I went from Slack to Ubuntu to Mint.)

I'm always happy to see more Linux TDM users, regardless of preferred distribution! :)

#16 stgatilov

stgatilov

• Development Role
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:53 AM

I seem to recall that the Linux installation instructions were in need of some attention. But although I'm sure they could (should) be improved, it's probably quite difficult to come up with instructions that work well across all Linux variants. I'm not saying we shouldn't improve them, but it might be a challenge. I don't have a surplus of time, but I'll try to look into that issue at some point.
I think Linux distributions are so much different between each other, that having perfect installation instructions is not possible. Luckily, Linux users are much more capable of handling any issues than a typical Windows user.

The release 2.06 will probably include native 64-bit version (unless it drops dead during testing), so the amount of trickery required to run TDM on a typical Linux OS should decrease.
I'm always happy to see more Linux TDM users, regardless of preferred distribution!   :)
Me too   :D

#17 freyk

freyk

• PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:31 AM

GreyGhost, can you make a condump of your final result? This for the study of analyzing tdm-logs.

I trying to update the wiki about this subject. (created also all the installation instructions for all the os'ses. And created for first-starters several installers)
But i dont know everything,
So I invite you all to read all the linux instructions on the tdm wiki and PM information/text improvements to me (or others, who have write permissions).

What might be nice (if I can dream for a minute) would be to have a small test app that would demonstrate whether someone's hardware and OS setup was capable of running TDM, without having to first download the massive set of TDM installation files.

I tried to create that for the windows installer.

Edited by freyk, 16 August 2017 - 03:52 AM.

#18 GreyGhost

GreyGhost

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:21 AM

freyk, Here is my condump, as requested:

Spoiler

Also, this is what happened after the condump, when I went through the game exit procedure:

Spoiler

Edited by GreyGhost, 16 August 2017 - 08:22 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: linux, video, black screen, version 2.05

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users