New Vertex Paint Tutorial

5 replies to this topic

#1 Epifire

Epifire

• Active Developer
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:51 AM

Hey guys, I thought I'd give a little bit back to the community and decided to go ahead and document my workflow regarding Vertex Painting on models. I tried to keep it as clean and simple as possible and even kept the modeling portion out of it. This workflow will show you how to quickly convert brushwork to meshes, paint said mesh, all the way to covering the material and final steps. The goal is to arm regular (non-modeler) mappers with the knowledge of how to get vertex painted assets into their projects without having to learn a full modeling app to achieve that.

I wanted to post here first in case I missed anything big or needed to edit it. Otherwise I think I've got all my bases covered in it...

http://wiki.thedarkm...Vertex_Painting

Go ahead give it a quick read and lemme know what ya'll think. I wasn't sure how to add it to the tutorial index but if someone could list it there, that would also be wonderful.

You need a model? Epi does you a model.

Toss me a PM I promise I don't bite.

#2 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5300 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:51 AM

I think this is an internal part of the forum, so it might not be helpful to post it here. The Editors Guild is probably the more appropriate place. Maybe and admin can move this thread, if you are ok with it.

• Epifire likes this
FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#3 Epifire

Epifire

• Active Developer
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:12 PM

Yeah that's fine, I was just asking about how the tutorial could be linked up properly with the main page. Otherwise yeah I don't have a problem with this being in a public thread.

#4 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5300 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:57 PM

The tutorial is linked now. It can be found under Editing/Vertex_Painting.

On another note: It might make sense if you make the title a bit more specific, like "Applying Vertex Painting on Brushwork using Lightwave" or so.

WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.

#5 Epifire

Epifire

• Active Developer
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:29 AM

Because Vertex Paints can only be applied to models themselves I really just wanted the main header to be the technical description. Mainly so you could just search that to load it directly. I mean I could set it to something like, "Vertex Painting with Lightwave" but much more than that would be a bit overkill. Hoping maybe I can do some more model related tutorials later on again.

#6 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5300 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:20 AM

I wrote a script that allows you to apply vertex painting in DR. The result is a model, too. but you don't need a modeling program than.

In addition the workflow might differ when using a different modeling program (like Maya, 3DSMax or Blender).

"Vertex Painting with Lightwave" is fine to me, you can even shorten it to "Vertex Painting (Lightwave)". It's just better to not keep the tutorial name too general in case someone else wants to add an article dealing with the same stuff (Vertex Painting in your case) but using a different method. The title "Vertex Painting" would probably be most appropriate for an article dealing with the general principle, as not everyone may know what this is.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users