Turn off blood? Soften the insults?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 Abusimplea

Abusimplea

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:59 AM

Do it like the guys from marketing department: Alt-tab to some other application whenever someone comes too close. They used office applications. In your case, a parent-approved game might be more suitable. Also always ensure a good view on all entry points to your location, so they can't sneak up on you when you are wearing headphones.

#27 chakkman

chakkman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:54 AM

Blood is a gameplay mechanic. NPCs can notice it and become suspicious, and you can clean it up with water arrows.

Even after years of playing this game, i ashamedly learn new things i have never even noticed when playing it.  :blush:

#28 Destined

Destined

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1258 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:02 AM

I wanted to play the training mission again, so I am reminded of all the game mechanics, but I never can get myself to actually do it...

#29 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:45 AM

Even after years of playing this game, i ashamedly learn new things i have never even noticed when playing it.  :blush:

It's more obvious somehow in Thief Deadly Shadows. 

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#30 Abusimplea

Abusimplea

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:22 PM

If you do not kill AI (just blackjacking or ghosting), no AI can react to any blood stains. AI also will not react to stains it can't see. It is easy to miss that part of the gameplay.

I played years without knowing how to rotate objects. Always wondered how others deal with all the clutter in the few missions that are actively designed to encourage the moving of objects. Then i stumbled upon some wiki article and felt enlightened...

#31 wesp5

wesp5

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:34 PM

I played years without knowing how to rotate objects. Always wondered how others deal with all the clutter in the few missions that are actively designed to encourage the moving of objects. Then i stumbled upon some wiki article and felt enlightened...

I hope most of these secrets are now explained in the loading tips!

#32 Abusimplea

Abusimplea

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:13 PM

I started playing at the time where it needed a Doom 3 installed to run. I do not know whether object rotation (and holding objects nearer or father from the player) is explained in the training mission (i really should replay it after all that years - it surely must have changed a lot).

But loading tips are a mission-specific thing if i remember correctly. So i doubt it beeing explained in the loading tips of a relevant amount of missions. And loading times are a really machine specific thing anyway. I regularly get my minutes of loading on my ole rig. But there certainly are people out there who only wait seconds for most missions to start.

All in all, it is not that big of a thing anyway. You do not need all that "secrets" to be able to knock or even ghost your way through most missions. It might be a good idea for mission authors relying on less common (outside of the thief series) game mechanics to mention that in the mission notes or briefing. Then the player knows what to search for in the wiki.

#33 wesp5

wesp5

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:46 AM

But loading tips are a mission-specific thing if i remember correctly. So i doubt it beeing explained in the loading tips of a relevant amount of missions.

I meant the new random playing tips that are being displayed on the side of the main menu in the most recent TDM version...

#34 Noisycricket

Noisycricket

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1057 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:28 AM

How about not giving swear words a power they don't deserve in the first place? Shit = poop, but "shit" is "bad"? In the end its all just emotion being tossed around via sound waves. Furthermore nobody thinks of having sex with mothers when they say "motherfucker", when people say its they've jammed their toe or are saying it to someone to simply highlight their anger. Your parents are teaching you to feel bad when you hear these words and potentially to look down on others for using them, that is wrong to a large degree. Well it comes to real world use, its all about the intent, and only that, because some people are taught to use those words and get in patterns of use so frequent that the term "motherfucker" becomes as synonymous as the word "dude". Literally used in place of "dude" sometimes. They're just sound waves....  Don't blame your parents if they don't know this, not many do it seems, at least not put into words as much. They may have other reasons and are just doing their best to protect you and give you a good life. I mean you can get a vague idea about someones likely background based on how they talk and it will indicate a general sense of how much care other people into the comfort level of those around them, things like that, but thats about it. For example, many super polite people you might expect to be thoroughly nice to the core won't go into a burning building to save a stranger, but some silent, truly *nice*, but not overtly "friendly" people will (and that included people that swear up a storm while chatting about physics).

Edited by Noisycricket, 14 September 2017 - 11:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users