The Dark Mod Forums

Announcement: Skybox in 2.06

duzenko

I would like to know this also, as it looks like i will need read only acess to help you with this.

That will be caulk brushes, and i figured thia would happen which ia why I asked a few posts abovr about caulk. I will need to open up the fm to check though.

I doubt that. All caulk surface in my experience just don't make it to the renderer.

Is that it (my previous post) or is there something else?

Yes, you could cure that by reverting portalsky method. Now it seems that the g_enablePortalsky cvar does nothing?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Mission 1: A New Job

Crash:

>	TheDarkMod.exe!idEntity::GetPhysics() Line 6003	C++
 	TheDarkMod.exe!R_PortalRender(drawSurf_s * surf, textureStage_t * stage, idScreenRect & scissor) Line 437	C++
 	TheDarkMod.exe!R_GenerateSubViews() Line 731	C++
 	TheDarkMod.exe!R_RenderView(viewDef_s & parms) Line 1128	C++
 	TheDarkMod.exe!idRenderWorldLocal::RenderScene(const renderView_s & renderView) Line 750	C++
 	TheDarkMod.exe!idPlayerView::SingleView(idUserInterface * hud, const renderView_s * view, bool drawHUD) Line 532	C++
 	TheDarkMod.exe!idPlayerView::RenderPlayerView(idUserInterface * hud) Line 833	C++
 	TheDarkMod.exe!idGameLocal::Draw(int clientNum) Line 3687	C++
 	TheDarkMod.exe!idSessionLocal::Draw() Line 2541	C++
 	TheDarkMod.exe!idSessionLocal::FrontendThreadFunction() Line 3027	C++
 	TheDarkMod.exe!std::_LaunchPad<std::_Bind<1,void,std::_Pmf_wrap<void (__thiscall idSessionLocal::*)(void),void,idSessionLocal>,idSessionLocal *> >::_Go() Line 188	C++
 	msvcr120.dll!7248c01d()	Unknown
 	[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for msvcr120.dll]	
 	msvcr120.dll!7248c001()	Unknown
 	kernel32.dll!75d18744()	Unknown
 	2a35fc3c()	Unknown
 	ntdll.dll!7719582d()	Unknown
 	ntdll.dll!771957fd()	Unknown

• Like 2

Crashes in both "A New Job" and the "Animated Grass Demo" are fixed.

Side note: I had to add "#version 130" to the new interaction shader to

get the lights to render but once I did... WOW!!!! :)

• Like 1

Don't tell anyone, this is WIP...

nhat3_2017-09-29_15.44.41.png

Oh god yes! Whoever implemented that, you're awesome :D I definitely hope that's also something we'll be seeing in 2.06.

The softness even respects the distance of the shadow... now that is a work truly well done.

• Like 1

No, actually it's Duzenko.

MirceaKitsune's screenshot show's soft shadows, it was SteveL who originaly implemented this feature in its entirety.

SteveL's did not consider his presumably superior implementation ready for public release.

Fair enough, like most of us who don't have access to the internal dev forums I wasn't aware of this.

• So has non of Steve's work been used, has all of that hard work he did gone to waste?
  • How does your implementation differ from his?
  • From MK's screenshot it looks like your implementation suffers from one of the bugs Steve never got around to fully fixing (bright area/edge at certain points in the shadow)

@admins, you may want to move this soft shadows discussion to a separate thread.

Edited by Bikerdude

Silly sequence:

Q: Hey Duzenko, can you help me port SteveL's soft shadows to SVN trunk?

A: (weeks later) OK. Here is the start of a brand new Soft Shadow implementation that you asked me to do.

ME: WOW Cool. Either this can be it or it'll make it easier for when SteveL comes back

TDM Team: It's pretty broken, why not wait for SteveL?

A few weeks later:

Near feature parity with SteveL's solution and much much faster performance.

No, SteveL can still add his work or use parts of his work to improve things.

SteveL's old branch is rotting there incompatible with the changes in 2.06 so he would need to port it

but 2.06 has framework features like Framebuffer Objects and GLSL so he wont need to rebuild those parts.

The miracle that you aren't seeing here?

Duzenko ported just about all of the ARB Interaction Shader features from JC Denton to whole new GLSL versions.

That is something I worried might never happen.

• Like 4

Yep.

Pretty happy accident.

Bonus: I just tested the latest source and the halo reduction has improved even more than the last time I checked. :)

• Like 3

• SteveL's old branch is rotting there incompatible with the changes in 2.06 so he would need to port it but 2.06 has framework features like Framebuffer Objects and GLSL so he wont need to rebuild those parts.

The miracle that you aren't seeing here?

Duzenko ported just about all of the ARB Interaction Shader features from JC Denton to whole new GLSL versions. That is something I worried might never happen.

• Its just disappointing is all.

Apologies for sounding negative, see above. Due to not being a teammember, I didn't know about any of the details of Dusenko's work untill just last night.

Sounds bloody amazing, I look forward to seeing and reading more about this!

• Since Steve's version was incompatible with 2.06 and Steve wasn't around to update it, it was already "worthless", since no one could use it.

Now we might actually have soft shadows for 2.06, even if they aren't perfect. That's a win.

• The work maybe incompatible/worthless, but the amount of man hours Steve put into it is not.

Agreed.

• Like 2

• Its just disappointing is all.
  • Apologies for sounding negative, see above. Due to not being a teammember, I didn't know about any of the details of Dusenko's work untill just last night.
  • Sounds bloody amazing, I look forward to seeing and reading more about this!
  • The work maybe incompatible/worthless, but the amount of man hours Steve put into it is not.
  • Agreed.

Imo the only way SteveL's work is "worthless" to TDM, is if this new soft shadows code has zero code copied or even inspired by his work, and even if that is true, Duzenkos work is totally separate and new, if you guys release SteveL work to the public (with permission if possível) it maybe useful to someone else, imo is the lest you guys can do, discarding his code even if incomplete would be a waist.

Btw not trying to diminish Duzenkos's work at all, for the contrary kudos to him, i know this stuff is not easy.

Edited by HMart
  • Like 1