• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Snehk

Snehk

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:30 AM

POPULAR

Recently I've got an idea to start working on my own fan mission. Mixing elements of dark and grim dock area of T:DS, a good old warehouse mission and T:G Old Quarter.

Black Death: Dead need no gold

Story:

You have been contacted by a client who wants you to steal some valuables that just shipped into Bridgeport's docks. A big load of golden items and a unique gem within them. They were about to be loaded next day, but ship of inquisition arrived, bringing a mysterious disease to city. Dock area was quickly overwhelmed by undead. This means that you won't deal with regular guards, and risks of contracting the disease are high. You may expect a squad of inquisition trying to reclaim a valuable item from their ship, as it costed them an expedition that lasted a few months.

Objectives:

Sneak into docks.
Find a way to warehouses.
Steal at least 500/1000/1500 out of 2000 gold.
Steal the unique gem.
Check the ship of inquisition for the mysterious item (optional).
Escape docks.

This'll be my first FM. I'm familiar with Doom3 mapping (a bit lacking on scripting side though), but any help will be appreciated.
  • Bikerdude, chakkman, Goldwell and 4 others like this

#2 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5246 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:25 AM

Happy building!

Ask any question in your thread here or in the DR newbie thread and we'll be happy to answer them.

Our common advice to first-time builders is don't be over-ambitious, and a smaller FM will be a better and happier learning experience. But I also think authors should do whatever motivates them the most too. Once you get into it, you'll find your own way.

• Goldwell, Anderson, Destined and 1 other like this
Posted Image

#3 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 36585 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:25 PM

Some of this might be review if you're used to D3 mapping, but I have a video tutorial series for new mappers that might be useful:

• Goldwell, Anderson and Snehk like this

#4 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:31 AM

Thank you for deciding to build a mission. It's a big task, but the rewards are so many. We need more mission buildings

and this one sounds interesting. Just remember one thing. Look at the missions you admire, and ask yourself, 

is your mission to the same level of detail. Google is great for getting decorating ideas, as are the existing missions. 

Also remember Springs advice from his workshop, make a plan, and stick to it.

Getting your first mission out is a great sense of satisfaction, and such a rewarding experience. 

Happy Building. :D

Edited by NeonsStyle, 11 October 2017 - 06:31 AM.

• Snehk likes this

I have a small YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedar...2017-update-16/

#5 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:37 AM

FYI, Pintrest is much better for gathering and managing image references, and it has a lot of quality images not displayed or accessible in Google search ;)

• NeonsStyle and Snehk like this

#6 Snehk

Snehk

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for the tips!

I'll probably start mapping this weekend, as college takes my time efficiently.

I have enough time to plan the level though. I'm starting with general layout of streets - a bit simplified, but it should suffice for it's purpose. Once I'll be happy with the layout, I'll flesh it out more and start working on layouts of each buildings that player would be able to access. I'm using Inkscape for layout design part (vector graphics, exported into .png for this preview). There is no ship on the map yet, I'll add it later.

P98pUkb.png

Player would be able to take multiple routes during this mission, the wide empty area would be more built up with different objects, while some of alleys leading to docks proper would be barricaded and guarded due to quarantine.

• Tarhiel and Anderson like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users