The Dark Mod Forums

Compiling with Visual Studio 2017

drtowerstein

Hi,

I'm trying to compile the game DLL with the latest Visual Studio and I'm running into a couple of problems. There are some syntax issues in idLib, but they seem easy to solve. There are also some file details that need a fix.

So, before I get knee deep into the code, us there any guide or advice for VS above 2013?

Thanks a lot, and regards,

Javier

AFIAK you have to compile it with VS 2013. The free community edition will suffice. I am no expert on this field, though. Why do you want to use VS 2017?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

AFIAK you have to compile it with VS 2013. The free community edition will suffice. I am no expert on this field, though. Why do you want to use VS 2017?

I want to switch to 2017 as well. You can't even download 2013 from MS easily any more. And people who actually need to use latest VS for work could use some disk space that the 2013 dinasaur takes up.

I'm trying to compile the game DLL with the latest Visual Studio and I'm running into a couple of problems. There are some syntax issues in idLib, but they seem easy to solve. There are also some file details that need a fix.

So, before I get knee deep into the code, us there any guide or advice for VS above 2013?

Please use the trunk version and send me a diff. I will apply it.

2.05 is less preferential but it might be ok too.

I want to switch to 2017 as well. You can't even download 2013 from MS easily any more. And people who actually need to use latest VS for work could use some disk space that the 2013 dinasaur takes up.

Please use the trunk version and send me a diff. I will apply it.

2.05 is less preferential but it might be ok too.

Nothing else to say ^_^ I'm working on 2.05 because I want things to be as stable as possible, since I want to develop new AI for the NPCs.

I feel ya, due to the different projects TDM and DR and a few other projects I build, I have 4 versions of VS installed, 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2017

Touché.....

Also, it seems some inner cogs of the file IO API are not shared anymore since it was not meant to be open anyway :-S

What source are you trying to use? 2.05 or Public SVN?

As I said, 2.05. I don't know if a branch might be an option.

In any case, I see there is interest but no one has gone down this way :) so I'll try to solve the issues on an svn clone using a separate branch and then post the diffs to whoever wants to test them. Ironically, it would be great if the modifications ran also in VS 2013.

Thanks for your comments and interest :)

First of all, the code of 2.05 is very different internally from the current SVN version (and future 2.06).

So it is not clear how useful the patches against 2.05 would be.

Second, I imagine the main problem would be with third-party libraries: prebuilt binaries for MSVC2013 exist in SVN, but you have to build MSVC2017 binaries yourself.

Finally, you can still download MSVC2013 community edition without any problem.

Of course, you would see MSVC2017 on the front page of every MS site. MS is pushing everyone to the latest version: if you use it for free, then you could at least do some testing for them, right? That's a very reasonable policy.

LOL. I recall having to waste half an evening figuring out why my MSVC 2013 wouldn't compile trunk and having to find

a small patch update for it by wading through searches and Microsoft docs. I agree that they are making it harder to

get this installed. Not that we won't encounter the same problem once they start screwing around with MSVC 2017...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I see. Well it's not available for public, anonymous download.

You cannot use MSVC community edition anonymously at all.

It has 30 days trial, after that you either login with your MS account, or you don't use devenv any more (cl.exe compiler still works I guess).

That's how things work since the very first community edition, I suppose.

P.S. I think upgrading MSVC would be a good idea after 2.06 is finished.

MSVC 2015 has several nice features I know about.

• Like 3

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Oh, I feel like the proverbial can of worms :-S

Yes, VS2013 can be downloaded and installed, although it is by no means intuitive. Having a MS account is not a big deal for me, though. After some hours, it's now running on my laptop.

I will try using VS2013 for the current 2.05 code, but updating to the latest compiler is usually a good policy. MS might decide to give up support on 2013; does anyone have some idea about this?

I understand that there must be a lot of issues going on that I'm not aware of, so I don't want to push this too far or make too much of a stir :) If you think it's interesting, I'll keep on trying 2.05+VS2013 and latest+VS2017.

Thanks a lot to everyone that has helped me out on this issue :)

Okay, not everything in 2013 is nice and rosey. First, it seems I need to change the platform tools from 140 to 120 (or else use VS2015???). I don't know if 140 platform tools can be installed on top of VS2013 (are they really needed? it seems to be the toolset defined in the projects).

Now it complains because:

Error 10 error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'nafxcwd.lib' D:\Users\Javier\Documents\thedarkmod.2.05.src\LINK
Error 21 error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'nafxcwd.lib' D:\Users\Javier\Documents\thedarkmod.2.05.src\LINK
Apparently can be solved by installing the MBCS package for VS2013. Done.
But I am still stuck at this point:
Error 12 error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'DxErr.h': No such file or directory D:\Users\Javier\Documents\thedarkmod.2.05.src\sys\win32\win_snd.cpp 25
I'm sure DirectX must be installed here, but maybe the headers are placed in some other directory than expected.
Will keep you updated!!!!

Okay, not everything in 2013 is nice and rosey. First, it seems I need to change the platform tools from 140 to 120 (or else use VS2015???). I don't know if 140 platform tools can be installed on top of VS2013 (are they really needed? it seems to be the toolset defined in the projects).

Now it complains because:

Error 10 error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'nafxcwd.lib' D:\Users\Javier\Documents\thedarkmod.2.05.src\LINK
Error 21 error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'nafxcwd.lib' D:\Users\Javier\Documents\thedarkmod.2.05.src\LINK
Apparently can be solved by installing the MBCS package for VS2013. Done.
But I am still stuck at this point:
Error 12 error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'DxErr.h': No such file or directory D:\Users\Javier\Documents\thedarkmod.2.05.src\sys\win32\win_snd.cpp 25
I'm sure DirectX must be installed here, but maybe the headers are placed in some other directory than expected.
Will keep you updated!!!!

There's the compilations instructions link on the TDM download page. Why not read it?

• Like 1