Photo

SVN access request

8 replies to this topic

#1 R Soul

R Soul

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:37 AM

Hello. I sent a PM to taaaki asking for access to the SVN*, but I don't know when he'll next check his messages (last activity was 8 days ago). It's only been a couple of hours but if someone else here could set up an account for me, that would be appreciated. If not, I'll wait.

* My reason for requesting access is that I'd like to get the texture source files so I can make my own variations.

#2 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37125 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:48 PM

It generally hasn't been our habit to give SVN access to non team-members.

My reason for requesting access is that I'd like to get the texture source files so I can make my own variations.

You can already access any texture files that have already been released--you don't need SVN access for that.

#3 R Soul

R Soul

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:56 PM

I've opened up the pk4 files but have only found the .dds images, which have compression artefacts which will only get worse if editing and resaving. The wiki suggests SVN is the only way to get the un-lossy source files.

Edited by R Soul, 28 October 2017 - 01:59 PM.

#4 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37125 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:10 PM

That wiki page is about ten years old, and most of those repositories don't exist anymore.  If you're talking about darkmod_hires, it might still exist, but if so it certainly hasn't been updated in years.

#5 R Soul

R Soul

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:59 PM

Okay. In that case, are the texture source files available anywhere?

#6 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19865 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:14 PM

It generally hasn't been our habit to give SVN access to non team-members.

R Soul has done an immense amount of work over on the ttlg forums, so imho he would easily qualify for tester status.

#7 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37125 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

Probably with the original authors, unfortunately.  What textures did you have in mind?

If taaaki can set you up with access to darkmod_hires, great, although my guess is that you'll mostly find the original .tgas of textures we used before switching to .dds some time in year four of development.  Textures newer than that would be rare.

I wouldn't let lack of hi-res textures hold you back--I've made alternate versions using .dds originals, and while it's not ideal I doubt anyone noticed the slight loss of quality.

#8 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2391 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:41 PM

I can't help with tracking down the original texture source files but for all of my dds compression usage I use TheCompressonator and there is an option in the menu to save the original image (even with just opening up dds files).

I don't really think the program is able to uncompress an image but i've never tested it so maybe there is some black magic going on.

But I see an option in the menu that looks like this if I open up any dds file:

qGsg6fC.png

The Accountant Trilogy
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Shadows of Northdale Trilogy

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Spring Cleaning

#9 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:47 AM

For me, all the original TGA/PNG images are on my computer, they are not on SVN. SVN is not a repository for all our work, that's what our hard drives are for.

Once textures are completed they are uploaded to SVN, which means DDS and jpg.

If there's a specific textures or set of textures you're interested in, you could post in this forum asking about them and hopefully the original author still has the high-res source files.

• Melan likes this

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users