The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.06

grayman

This is probably a permissions issue at local machine:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/document-folders-marked-read-only-after-upgrade-to/4f00d3fe-82b0-4e6d-a92a-f81751aa6f51?auth=1

Maybe a .bat can be included during install to run win cmd command to set permissions as a workaround.

eg,

icacls "TDM install directory pull" /grant Everyone:F

// idk how you'd pull the install directory, though... "where TDM.exe" is a good start, but idk how you'd put that into the permissions change command.

Edited by teh_saccade

I can't find any reference to darkmod other than through nvidia in my windows registry on cursory search for "darkmod" - if there is an entry for darkmod there, perhaps editing the permissions to "everyone / full" via windows registry on install would be easier than using cmd bat.

FYI - DR is registered for uninstall - TDM does not appear in the list of programmes that my build of win10 displays. I find no reference to it anywhere, even in latest version of Crap Cleaner.

https://imgur.com/a/b3oqE

It might be a good move to ensure there is a HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\<vendor>\<application> registry subkey for TDM so that it can be uninstalled via windows and also to facilitate elevating the permissions so that it does not revert to read-only.

Edited by teh_saccade

I tested out my Lord Edgar's Bathhouse map with the latest build of 2.06 of 64 bit and ran into some issues that were not present in the 2.05 version.

First and foremost the performance is completely shot, in 2.05 I get a smooth 60fps with all settings maxed but in 2.06 the frame rate feels very sluggish. Certain areas are smooth but others are really bogged down, the map isn't the most demanding either. I know this has been reported before by myself and Spooks but just thought I would mention it again.

In the mission downloader while my FM was downloading I decided to click on another FM and click the view more info button, but I was just presented with a "Getting mission info from server..." message that stayed on the screen. So I hit exit and then after my download was done I got another error message (sorry forgot to save that) but then I could view the more info on other FMs. So it seems to me that more info doesn't work while TDM is downloading an FM. I tried this with multiple FMs and recieved the same result.

A couple of strange things that were present in the mission while playing it in 2.06 that weren't there in 2.05 either, first is lights kept coming through under brushwork for some reason. Taking a completely wild guess that could maybe be because the light is escaping in through two worldbrushes that are met with caulk faces between them. This happened in a few different areas but here's an example to show you what I mean:

ivqwmMh.jpg

And the second is that my mirror now reflects the skybox, is that meant to happen? and if so.. is there a new texture that reflects just the world back?

eA7z4YF.png

If it's necessary I can update my FM of course but I just wanted to bring this up incase this is a bigger problem.

• Like 1

I tested out my Lord Edgar's Bathhouse map with the latest build of 2.06 of 64 bit and ran into some issues that were not present in the 2.05 version.

First and foremost the performance is completely shot, in 2.05 I get a smooth 60fps with all settings maxed but in 2.06 the frame rate feels very sluggish. Certain areas are smooth but others are really bogged down, the map isn't the most demanding either. I know this has been reported before by myself and Spooks but just thought I would mention it again.

Fps-wise do you have soft shadows on? How many fps is very sluggish?

What are your CPU/GPU?

Fps-wise do you have soft shadows on? How many fps is very sluggish?

What are your CPU/GPU?

1) I have softshadows turned on

2) FPS sluggish is when it drops from 60 fps to less than 30fps. Feelings like a smooth roller coaster is the best way I can describe it instead of the usual chunky sluggishness that happens when TDM chokes.

3) CPU is an Intel i7-4790k clocked at 4GHZ .. GPU is an EVGA Geforce GTX 980 TI

1) I have softshadows turned on

2) FPS sluggish is when it drops from 60 fps to less than 30fps. Feelings like a smooth roller coaster is the best way I can describe it instead of the usual chunky sluggishness that happens when TDM chokes.

3) CPU is an Intel i7-4790k clocked at 4GHZ .. GPU is an EVGA Geforce GTX 980 TI

Try SS off or lower quality - does that help with fps?

What is antialiasing set to? Is it better with AA off?

About sky in the mirror - could it be blend add on the mirror surface? Try making it blend overwrite (not sure what is the correct name)

Try SS off or lower quality - does that help with fps?

What is antialiasing set to? Is it better with AA off?

About sky in the mirror - could it be blend add on the mirror surface? Try making it blend overwrite (not sure what is the correct name)

So I just played around with the settings and AA doesn't seem to affect TDM. However I found that if I ran soft shadows on Very High or Extreme the lag came back. On just medium or high my machine can tolerate it with minimal to no sluggish lagging.

My machine is already relatively high end so if soft shadows are truly this demanding then perhaps put in a warning in the menu for the Very High or Extreme soft shadows setting that you'll need a GTX 1080 or higher. I imagine in more demanding FMs soft shadows will probably need to be turned down even further too.

Setting Soft shadows to Extreme slows down my machine too, but they look very good on High without affecting performance. Setting Uncap FPS to On should help too.

I just checked my settings as Uncap FPS was set to off, good spot there Judith!

• Like 1

My machine is already relatively high end so if soft shadows are truly this demanding then perhaps put in a warning in the menu for the Very High or Extreme soft shadows setting that you'll need a

GTX 1080 or higher.

Thats a very high-end very expensive (£500+) card, imho the max card reuired for SS should be something like a 1060 (£200+ card). And for comparison I have a GTX1070 and don't see any lag

• Like 2

Thats a very high-end very expensive (£500+) card, imho the max card reuired for SS should be something like a 1060 (£200+ card). And for comparison I have a GTX1070 and don't see any lag

Do you have uncap FPS set to on or off? also is your SS setting on Extreme?

testing the WIP with this build over the weekend.

• HUD Size/Opacity menu name and its subsequent options page has a bunch of #STR_ entries
  • If I noclip into the void the game hangs, in 2.05 I can clip into the void no problem.
  • all footstep sounds for Ai and the player are broken, keep getting missing speaker noise instead.

I just checked my settings as Uncap FPS was set to off, good spot there Judith!

Continuing on that point further, perhaps the default TDM 2.06 setting should be medium for soft shadows?

Do you have uncap FPS set to on or off? also is your SS setting on Extreme?

Game -

• SS - extreme
  • Uncap FPS - off
  • Multicore - off
  • res - 1680*1050
  • AA/AS - 4x/8x

System -

• i7 4790k@stock
  • Asus Strix 1070@stock
  • DDR3-1600@stock
  • Win7x64

Game is butter smooth, only start seeing an FPS drop to 40-50fps in the worst locations - however those same locations in 2.05 gave me 50-60fps. Once the hanging when I go into the void has been fixed I will resume testing.

Edited by Bikerdude

Game -

• SS - extreme
  • Uncap FPS - off
  • Multicore - off
  • res - 1680*1050
  • AA/AS - 4x/8x

System -

• i7 4790k@stock
  • Asus Strix 1070@stock
  • DDR3-1600@stock
  • Win7x64

Game is butter smooth, only start seeing an FPS drop to 40-50fps in the worst locations.

Hm I wonder why the performance is taking a worse hit on my card then as we have the same CPU. I have both AA and AS set to 16x so maybe that is the culprit. Or perhaps the 1070 can handle things like SS better than a 980TI

I just did a few checks, the setting that has the biggest impact for me is Multi-core enhancement, framerate goes up if it's on. Also, I use FXAA in my Nvidia driver profile, instead of in-game AA, as it seems to be more efficient. IMO soft shadows look good on Medium and higher, only Low setting is rather ugly ;)

• Like 1

instead of in-game AA,

In-game AA is broken in 2.06. It no longer does anything (though it did still affect FPS for some reason--not sure if it still does on this build).

• Like 1

Hm I wonder why the performance is taking a worse hit on my card then as we have the same CPU. I have both AA and AS set to 16x so maybe that is the culprit. Or perhaps the 1070 can handle things like SS better than a 980TI

You 980ti is pretty much on par with my 1070, so we should be getting similar results. Give me your complete system specs including full TDM & nvidia settings and save games for each of the above locations so we can do a like for like compare.

In-game AA is broken in 2.06. It no longer does anything (though it did still affect FPS for some reason--not sure if it still does on this build).

I forgot about this, will disable in-game and force FXAA in nvidia panel

If AA isn't going to be fixed for 2.06, then the menu setting should be disabled, at least. Especially if it is affected FPS.

• Like 1

If AA isn't going to be fixed for 2.06, then the menu setting should be disabled, at least. Especially if it is affected FPS.

Agreed!