The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.06

grayman

No, this fix was not applied.

The immediate change of EFX parameters can be quite noticeable.

I think it can be smoothened somehow, but probably it is better to rethink the whole EFX algorithm. The current implementation (just apply predefined effect of the location we are in) is too basic. Not surprising, given that EAX was included into Doom 3 solely to please Creative.

Shame that every action was so short-sighted in this regard. :/

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Saw that some old pieces of my stagecoach are in 2.06, 1 model and 1 prefab both under misc. They're outdated so not worth conserving.

R_useFBO cures a few issues with self shadowing on all hardware but you must use FXAA for AA.

You can soften the shadows further by increasing to a higher radius value.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I do use driver-level FXAA :)

I thought FBO SharedDepth and SharedColor were designed specifically for intel GPUs though. If proper soft shadow behavior is connected to FBO, I suggest enabling FBO by default in final release, or even forcing it on when user enables soft shadows n the game menu (switching from Off to anything else).

I do use driver-level FXAA :)

I thought FBO SharedDepth and SharedColor were designed specifically for intel GPUs though.

They were.

But r_useFBO is a different option.

If proper soft shadow behavior is connected to FBO, I suggest enabling FBO by default in final release, or even forcing it on when user enables soft shadows n the game menu (switching from Off to anything else).

It should work both ways, though SS always uses an FBO for shadow texture.

@stgatilov?

• Like 1

Saw that some old pieces of my stagecoach are in 2.06, 1 model and 1 prefab both under misc. They're outdated so not worth conserving.

Is there a newer version?

Yes, what's here is from before I learned to use Blender and gave it a makeover a while back. In any case it's very incomplete (i.e. no custom materials present) so it'd be better to start from a clean slate if including.

I didn't add it, so I'm not sure what the precise problem is. Should we just delete the "stagecoach" folder in the model tree entirely?

Is there a newer version you would like to upload in its stead?

This is the revised version: Stagecoach

I'm not sure if we are seeing the same thing? All I see on my end is 1 chassis model in .ase format with missing shaders. There should be 4 chassis (open/closed, wheels attached or not), 2 doors, 2 wheels, all in .lwo. No matter what, the safest would be to delete the stagecoach folder, then add the above package back in.

I've seen there's also a large prefab made by Bikerdude containing the stagecoach, a road and several tunnels. I reckon it'll work once you restore the model files and update the model names, will have to see when I get home.

Edited by Dragofer
  • Like 1

The latest version of the stagecoach available to us is in

darkmod\models\darkmod\misc\carriages\

I'm using it in a WIP, and others might also have used it or planning to do so, so please be careful if you plan to wipe out the folder and provide new models.

I'm using it in a WIP, and others might also have used it or planning to do so, so please be careful if you plan to wipe out the folder and provide new models.

This sounds to me like there's been a problem with my download of 2.06, which had already happened to me in the beta of 2.05. If the models are all .lwo and have armchair-like seating then it's fine. Bikerdude's prefab will still be out of date however because the models are no longer .ase.

Correction:

All the stagecoach models in SVN (and the 2.06 tree) are EXCLUDED, so we aren't officially shipping them yet.

They are also all *.ase models.

So my use of them comes from having found them in SVN, and not knowing they're EXCLUDED.

The one instance of them being used in a mission was for "Down by the River" (by you, @Dragofer), and those are included with the mission and are *.lwo models.

So feel free to do whatever you need to; I can change the references in my WIP.

But be public about it, since there might be other current WIPs using the *.ase models available in SVN.

They were.

But r_useFBO is a different option.

It should work both ways, though SS always uses an FBO for shadow texture.

@stgatilov?

Calling me? :huh:

I think we discussed enabling FBO automatically when soft shadows are enabled, but did not do it for some reason. Perhaps because it becomes cvar mess this way (no one knows how to disable r_useFBO back when r_softShadows is disabled --- player definitely won't know about it).

And we did not enable FBO by default because it lacks builtin antialiasing.

I usually enable FBO and play with it, and I don't remember any issues caused by it lately.

In fact, the case when FBO is disabled feels more fragile now.

P.S. Half a year ago I thought that 2.06 release was coming soon, but it has not been released even by now.

I won't say anything like "it seems too late" anymore, because I was wrong with it so many times :o

• Like 1

Soft Shadows without FBO has this bug:

http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4693

Soft Shadows with FBO has no AA.

Thus it is labeled experimental in the menu.

I wont complain if someone fixes 4693 though...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Correction:

All the stagecoach models in SVN (and the 2.06 tree) are EXCLUDED, so we aren't officially shipping them yet.

Alright, most of it makes sense now. I'd say the way forward would be to replace the old models with these so that any other SVN mappers can keep working with them until 2.07 launches.

Currently some pieces have escaped the exclusion:

- prefab: carts_vehicles/carriages/stagecoach.pfb

- prefab: carts_vehicles/carriages/stagecoach_closed.pfb

- prefab: stagecoach.pfb (by Bikerdude)

- model: misc/carriages/stagecoach_closed_nowheels.ase

The 3rd prefab should be renamed to stagecoach_scene and moved to the carts_vehicles/carriages folder. On a related note, there's quite a number of other prefabs outside of any folder at the moment.

Edited by Dragofer
  • Like 1

Alright, most of it makes sense now. I'd say the way forward would be to replace the old models with these so that any other SVN mappers can keep working with them until 2.07 launches.

Currently some pieces have escaped the exclusion:

- prefab: carts_vehicles/carriages/stagecoach.pfb

- prefab: carts_vehicles/carriages/stagecoach_closed.pfb

- prefab: stagecoach.pfb (by Bikerdude)

- model: misc/carriages/stagecoach_closed_nowheels.ase

The 3rd prefab should be renamed to stagecoach_scene and moved to the carts_vehicles/carriages folder. On a related note, there's quite a number of other prefabs outside of any folder at the moment.

Spring and I talked about releasing these in 2.06. You prefer 2.07?

I won't merge these into 2.06 yet until your above suggestions are dealt with and we agree to release in 2.06.

• Like 1