The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.06

grayman

Probably Springheel can do it nicely for us, "mere divelopeers"? :unsure:

What would you like me to do...?

It seems that disabling soft shadows requires an engine restart to be applied correctly (noticeable due to the framerates).

I mentioned this above as well, so can confirm it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

The next package build is ready for testing.

Revert glprogs to 15050 (nbohr1more) (undoes 15065)

15072 - fix a broken texture (Springheel)

15073 - fix for issue 4536 (Springheel)

15074 - Renamed setting: "EAX 4.0 HD" -> "OpenAL EFX" (stgatilov)

15075 - fix a missing sound error (Springheel)

7275 – change tdm_update version from 66 to 67 (grayman)

7278 – Increase default screen size (grayman)

This should fix the "no lights" issue caused by 15065. If you placed a glprogs folder into your darkmod folder during the previous test, to temporarily fix the problem, you should be able to delete that now.

It doesn't fix any "compression/decompression" activity by the packager. taaaki's been notified, but he's gone dark again.

Ok, so going through the same basic updating from 2.05 that most players will do, the first thing I noticed was a huge amount of sparklies, everywhere. This is far worse than the first time I noticed them on SVN--they appear on virtually everything with metal at a distance. AI look like they're wearing Christmas lights. Screenshots don't do justice how distracting the effect is, as the sparklies are constantly moving in game.

So as a casual user, the first thing I'm going to think is, WTF? Why is 2.06 looking like crap? Is the update broken?

Now yes, I do have AA x8 on, but that's what I had on before updating.

I haven't even turned soft shadows on, so this isn't an issue of turning on a new feature and living with a few flaws or turning it off.

The answer can't just be for them to come to the forum and find out what cvars they need to manually adjust, or what driver settings they should go and turn on. Most users won't do that, and will simply complain that 2.06 is broken.

(this is the 32bit version, Nvidia graphics)

post-9-0-94131800-1510523869_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Anyone having problems with r_fboResolution: try com_smp 0 or r_useScissor 0

SMP 0 did the trick ! :)

Now I'll test Scissor.

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

r_useScissor 0

r_useScissor is always set to "1" every restart.

Setting it to "0" @runtime does NOT affect FBO resolution bug.

com_smp 0 solves the problem.

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Man, FBOresolution is pure awesomeness but what a price where there is much computation ongoing! :D

FBOresolution=2 (-> SSAA 4x):

newjob_2017-11-12_23.51.17.jpg
Normal resolution:
newjob_2017-11-12_23.51.46.jpg
Edited by lowenz

What's r_useFBO set to?

I think it should be 0 by default and if it's not then we should make sure it is.

Darkmod.cfg has: seta r_useFBO "0"

Ok, so going through the same basic updating from 2.05 that most players will do, the first thing I noticed was a huge amount of sparklies, everywhere. This is far worse than the first time I noticed them on SVN--they appear on virtually everything with metal at a distance. AI look like they're wearing Christmas lights. Screenshots don't do justice how distracting the effect is, as the sparklies are constantly moving in game.

Just fixed the problem in SVN, hopefully the fix would get into the next beta package.

You could really see less sparklies previously on SVN, because in October specular exponent was bumped from 3 to 5, making this issue more severe.

• Like 2

Man, FBOresolution is pure awesomeness but what a price where there is much computation ongoing! :D

FBOresolution=2 (-> SSAA 4x):

Does not have to be an integer. Values like 1.5 are accepted too.

r_useScissor is always set to "1" every restart.

Setting it to "0" @runtime does NOT affect FBO resolution bug.

com_smp 0 solves the problem.

Fixed in svn trunk, @grayman should include this in next release.

• Like 1

Does it still happen after r_usefbo 1 and restart?

15083 - Fixed Epifire's broken material file "tdm_epi_shader_2.mtr"

This should fix the "no lights" issue caused by 15065. If you placed a glprogs folder into your darkmod folder during the previous test, to temporarily fix the problem, you should be able to delete that now.[/size]
Just updated to the latest version, then removed my glprogs folder and then tested in game and now the lights are displaying correctly for me (they weren't before). I am running a Nvidia card too btw.
  • Like 1

Does not have to be an integer. Values like 1.5 are accepted too.

Fixed in svn trunk, @grayman should include this in next release.

Fixed? So we can use SMP in the next beta or it is disabled by default?

Edited by lowenz