Photo

Fan Mission: The Accountant 1: Thieves and Heirs by Goldwell (2017/11/08)

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2209 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:39 AM

POPULAR

XfSNjVb.png

Author Note:

This is a brand new mission and a new entry into the accountant series.

There are some different than usual puzzles in this FM, so if you find yourself stuck try to think about your pathway forward in a logical manner. And if you're still having troubles then pop by this thread and ask (preferably with spoiler tags).

This FM is brand new and serves as the first installment in The Accountant series, a few years back there was a small prologue style mission released however I felt that it did not represent The Accountant series so I decided to go back to the drawing board and do a whole new mission that's both larger, has better level design and has a story that lines up closer to what I plan to do with the accountant series.

The mission is medium sized and you can expect between 30-90 minutes to complete it depending on your playstyle.

KZRId4i.png

t4ahZ82.png

Attached File  1.jpg   39.02KB   2 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   55.9KB   0 downloadsAttached File  3.jpg   51.54KB   0 downloadsAttached File  4.jpg   58.05KB   0 downloadsAttached File  5.jpg   59.84KB   0 downloadsAttached File  6.jpg   28.16KB   0 downloads

ph8ygBw.png

Beta Testers
Captain Cleveland
Crowind
Kingsal
PukeyBee
Skacky
SquadaFroinx

Voice Actors
AndrosTheOxen
Epifire
Goldwell
Stevenpfortune
Yandros

Custom assets
Airship Ballet
Bentraxx
Bob Necro
Dragofer
DrKubiac
Epifire
Kingsal
MalachiAD
Sotha
Springheel
SquadaFroinx

MwLG9Q3.png

Available via in-game downloader

MIRROR

File Size: 247 mb

• Melan, Baal, chakkman and 15 others like this

The Accountant Series
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Lord Edgar Series
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse

Stand Alone Missions
Spring Cleaning

#2 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8176 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:52 AM

Congrats!!!
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#3 Amadeus

Amadeus

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:01 AM

YES!!! I've been waiting for this, congrats :)

#4 Peanut

Peanut

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:53 AM

Wow, congrats!

#5 MVT

MVT

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:27 PM

Downloader fails when I try to download this.

#6 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2209 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:57 PM

Downloader fails when I try to download this.

It works fine on my end, got a friend to try it and they had no problems either. Try it again and if it still doesn't work maybe try the mirror link in the OP. You just have to drop that .pk4 file into your FM folder and you're good to go.

The Accountant Series

Lord Edgar Series
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse

Stand Alone Missions
Spring Cleaning

#7 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19016 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:28 PM

Does this completely replace the old version..? it would be worth keeping this for posterity and all the work that was done on it by us.

#8 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2209 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:39 PM

Does this completely replace the old version..? it would be worth keeping this for posterity and all the work that was done on it by u

This mission is the first in the accountant series now, it replaced the old first entry to the series I released back in 2014.

The old prologue mission is no longer relevant to my series so there is no point in keeping it around as now there is the accountant 1: Thieves and Heirs.

The Accountant Series

Lord Edgar Series
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse

Stand Alone Missions
Spring Cleaning

#9 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12079 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:32 PM

Congrats!

#10 Atomica

Atomica

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:04 PM

So the old prologue - that mission was removed from the in-game downloader a while back. You say the old prologue mission is no longer relevant, but are there any elements of the prologue (story, environments) that got put into this mission or is the prologue completely pointless now? If so, I kinda agree with the idea that it might be worth re-releasing the prologue as sort of an "extras" mission with the clear distinction that it no-longer is part of the series.

Up to you of course since you did all the world, but it was a nice mission, had some good voice work and was of course well made like your regular work. I'd hate to see all the effort just disappear from the Internet. It doesn't even need to be in the in-game downloaded, maybe just a link here or something for posterity.

Anyways, gonna give this a crack, so thanks!

Oh my God! JC! A bomb!

#11 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1267 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:59 PM

Stunning briefing Goldwell, just beautiful. Can't wait to play this :D:D:D

Edited by NeonsStyle, 08 November 2017 - 10:00 PM.

I have a small YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedar...2017-update-16/

#12 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2209 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:21 PM

So the old prologue - that mission was removed from the in-game downloader a while back. You say the old prologue mission is no longer relevant, but are there any elements of the prologue (story, environments) that got put into this mission or is the prologue completely pointless now? If so, I kinda agree with the idea that it might be worth re-releasing the prologue as sort of an "extras" mission with the clear distinction that it no-longer is part of the series.

Up to you of course since you did all the world, but it was a nice mission, had some good voice work and was of course well made like your regular work. I'd hate to see all the effort just disappear from the Internet. It doesn't even need to be in the in-game downloaded, maybe just a link here or something for posterity.

Anyways, gonna give this a crack, so thanks!

The simplest way to look at it. The old prologue is version 1.0 and this new mission Thieves and Heirs is version 2.0.

The concept that I originally came up with back in 2014 is still all here. You meet a fence down in a sewers and have to steal a necklace for him in a rainy city mission. However the level itself is completely different and there are characters in this who will become relevant later in the story. As I work on the accountant 3 it became more and more clear to me that this new mission should be the first entry in the series. 

Eventually when the accountant series is finished I plan to bundle all of the missions up into a large campaign and inside that there will include a goodies section. In that will be an unreleased accountant mission which I made before turning the series into a campaign and the old prologue mission too. So for those who are interested can dig it out and play it. 

For now though I would like to focus this thread on my new mission please. I put a lot of hard work into it and as did my beta testers too.

Stunning briefing Goldwell, just beautiful. Can't wait to play this :D:D:D

Thanks NeonStyle! Crowind did an excellent job as always :)
  • Epifire, Anderson, Aosys and 1 other like this

The Accountant Series

Lord Edgar Series
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse

Stand Alone Missions
Spring Cleaning

#13 Epifire

Epifire

• Active Developer
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:33 AM

Just finished it up. Short sweet and to the point!

Spoiler

You need a model? Epi does you a model.

Toss me a PM I promise I don't bite.

#14 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12079 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:42 AM

Beautiful mission.

Loved playing it.

Unfortunately, I came up 40 short of the required loot goal on Expert, and after 15min of loot hunting, I gave up.

(I'm a big fan of optional loot objectives.)

Thank you!

#15 Amadeus

Amadeus

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:55 AM

Great mission! I absolutely loved it!

Spoiler

#16 Tall Smodger

Tall Smodger

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:44 AM

Wow, what a fantastic mission. Loved each and every moment especially having to look for the secrets. The environment, the lighting and the attention to detail (like the raindrops on the windows) made it seem so immersive. The brilliant and humorous voice acting really engaged me as well. I really can't wait for more. Bravo!

#17 Peanut

Peanut

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:46 AM

...The environment, the lighting and the attention to detail (like the raindrops on the windows) made it seem so immersive...

Was going to ask about that but felt a bit silly, glad to hear they survived the rework!

#18 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2209 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:48 AM

Was going to ask about that but felt a bit silly, glad to hear they survived the rework!

Oh yeah, that raindrop window effect will always be in all my rainy missions :)

• Peanut likes this

The Accountant Series

Lord Edgar Series
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse

Stand Alone Missions
Spring Cleaning

#19 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4400 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:32 PM

Excellent revision! I liked the original (the mood was neat and some of the set-pieces were already showing Goldwell's skills), but this is something else. It is all more expansive and significantly better-looking, with a consistent mood and some very clever puzzles. I liked how you reused the locations of the first version while expanding on them. The two would be pretty cool to enjoy side by side to see how one evolved into the other.

I missed exactly 400 loot, and achieved a stealth score of 15.  :ph34r:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#20 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19016 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:09 PM

Certain locations gave a strong 'classic thief' vibe, others were very 'Melan' in thier claustrophobic and/or macabre setting. A couple of mapping mapping bugs but overall, a good mission. How much of the new models and textures are now part of 2.06..?

Completed in 30mins, 500 short on loot stealth score of 9.

#21 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2209 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:37 AM

Excellent revision! I liked the original (the mood was neat and some of the set-pieces were already showing Goldwell's skills), but this is something else. It is all more expansive and significantly better-looking, with a consistent mood and some very clever puzzles. I liked how you reused the locations of the first version while expanding on them. The two would be pretty cool to enjoy side by side to see how one evolved into the other.

I missed exactly 400 loot, and achieved a stealth score of 15.  :ph34r:

Thank you for the kind words :)

For the level though I actually didn't keep or reuse anything from my old prologue FM except for a window rain texture. I started Thieves and Heirs with a blank map and built it all from the ground up.

The concepts that I created for the first remained the same though of course, meeting the fence in the sewers and stealing a necklace from a noble home in a rainy city. But yeah the level itself is all fresh ;)

The Accountant Series

Lord Edgar Series
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse

Stand Alone Missions
Spring Cleaning

#22 Silverflame3

Silverflame3

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:13 AM

Hi Goldwell, congrats on a terrific mission! I just wanted to get some sleep before work, check up the status on the forums to see what's happening, and before you know it, I'm playing this until 3 am (I had to finish it NOW, sleep be damned). B)

Spoiler

Edited by Silverflame3, 10 November 2017 - 03:24 AM.

• Epifire likes this

#23 Tarhiel

Tarhiel

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:01 PM

Fantastic mission, Goldwell! :)

I have thoroughly enjoyed it and, to be honest, because of the structure change, I do not remember nothing form the former mission, except the sewer meeting beginning :)

I will write just a few nicks I have noticed:

Spoiler

But the atmosphere - oh boy: I absolutely loved that creepy

Spoiler
+ attention to detail: rain! Rain on the window glasses, wet surface of the roofs, eaves flowing with water - I don´t remember any other mission with such atmospheric rain.

I had 4 out of 6 secrets, have no idea where the last 2 are, i was missing 370 gold pieces and it took me about 1:51 hours to finish the game.

Very pleasant to see a new fan mission :)

Edited by Tarhiel, 11 November 2017 - 10:45 AM.

• CarltonTroisi likes this

#24 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2209 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:09 PM

Spoiler

• Tarhiel and Aosys like this

The Accountant Series